It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa Doesn't Only Control Politics, It Controls How We Eat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Boadicea

Yeah, but this guy is from New York. Try suggesting to him that government is the problem. Good luck with that!

Instead, he opines all about how the farmers just don't care as if it's their fault.

Yea, and that's the pisser behind this soy infested idiots opinion. Seems like a ploy to put more small farm operations out of business to point the flow to corporate run farms which realistically are probably the most guilty of poisoning our soil with Monsanto poison.

Yay for Corporitacracy….

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

The reason the artical peek my intrest and why I stared this post was the additude in which the author chose to put forth his opinions.

Ahem. Project much?

First sentence after the title:

Inside a system that traps farmers and screws up the planet

Note the operative words: "Inside a system" and "that traps farmers" and "screws up the planet."

Nowhere does he blame Iowans or even Iowan farmers. He goes on to describe some of the corrective measures that individual farmers are taking, as well as their limitations.

But the system itself must change, and that change can’t be brought about by individual farmers.

And what/who the true culprits are, and therefore where the necessary solutions lie:

To address the climate, environment, animal welfare, and public health crises, we need decisive and radically different government action. Right now, almost all government programs and subsidies favor the corn-and-soybean obsession, and that’s what “the market” — Big Ag and Big Food — wants.

Watch how fun this is going to be: The reason your OP peeked my interest and why I responded to your post was the attitude in which you chose to put forth your opinions.

Oh wait... that might not have been as much fun for you as it was for me. My bad... again.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I actually agree with a lot of points the author/article makes:

The author does make some good points. I suspect that the author's perspective was severely hampered by a gross lack of knowledge about farming in general though. He seems to understand that farming is not what it used to be, and certainly isn't what it should be, but that it's due to govt regs and corporations (Big AG)... in other words, regulatory capture.

Farmers in this area like to pretend they grow food, but that is highly debatable. I think the closest they come anymore is growing feed for livestock that is considered actual food. Corn and Soybeans...sure, pull the other lever.

I actually have family farmers in Iowa (and Minnesota). They aren't at all happy with the current state of affairs, and do what they have to do to survive. Their options are limited to say the least.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I hear you, I live in this area as well and see it every year.

I am a dreamer. I think our approach to food is a travesty. Unless you consider all endeavors of man to be good if judged solely by profit, then DAMMMMMNNNN we are doing a bang up job. Getting people hooked and *#*(# sick on franken foods just to sell them some #*(*& pharmaceuticals on the back end to cover up the absolute destruction these franken foods do to a human body.

But all we care about are profits. All we measure success by is profits. Pure (*#&*@ greed baby.

Go capitalism go!!!!!! Yea for profits. Yea for the conglomerates. Yea for greed.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

originally posted by: visitedbythem

That's a fine opinion; but that opinion is not in the same mood as the article I linked too; where in the writer doesn't just lament about the best ways to grow crops but instead condoms a whole community he doesn't even belong too.

Im sorry, I didn't understand. This is terrible news! If he condoms the whole community, there will be no community after this generation. Wow! I had no idea.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
And not to be totally for the farmers because there is a lot of stupidity to go around. Farmers ego themselves into trouble by trying to keep up with the joneses. They need that brand new pickup (which some skillfully write off as business expense). They need that brand new 500,000 combine where their 5 year old one still works fine, but doesn't look as cool as a fully loaded, full suspension, AC/heating, GIS navigated computerized deviced autopilot status symbol.

They get themselves so loaded up with debt, they have to play the game to even keep solvent.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Since the snowflake in chief complains about literally everything ,all the time, there seems to have been a surge of copycats.

There it is

Orange Man Bad

No I clearly called him a snowflake, that means he is thin skinned whiny brat.

link   

Eat more corn!

link   

Well I do apologize if you dislike my attitude; perhaps we can talk about that further.

But I simply disagree with you that this article's only goal is too discuss the best way to practice agriculture. The author certainly has an opinion on the subject; some of them also sound reasonable and worth discussing. However the condescending attitude with which he puts forth his opinions completely detract from any positive points he is trying to make.

Here are some examples:

"Yet Iowa is unrecognizable from centuries ago, when Europeans took the land for themselves."

"The farmers I spoke to don’t seem to know or care where their crop goes" an inflammatory statement he backs up with a silly anecdote.

"and the white supremacist Congressman Steve King, whose 4th Congressional District I was visiting."  as if a intellectual conservation about agricultural best practices really needs a hat tip to white supremacy.

"As everyone knows (or should), following the genocide and forcible removal of indigenous people 150 years ago, the federal government gave the land that became Iowa" more of that good agriculture discussion.

"that came with the distribution of land to white male citizens (and their nonvoting, not quite full citizen female companions)" more hat tips to white supremacy in a discussion about agriculture.

The author talks about "actual democracy" being the only solution to the agricultural problems he addresses; what he fails to realize is that "actual democracy" only works when the people in the system are willing to listen as much as they are willing to talk. Instead he believes that the numbers are on his side so all he and his allies need to do is dictate... that is not democracy.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Or hogs apparently.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

That's a fine opinion; but that opinion is not in the same mood as the article I linked too; where in the writer doesn't just lament about the best ways to grow crops but instead condoms a whole community he doesn't even belong too.

Im sorry, I didn't understand. This is terrible news! If he condoms the whole community, there will be no community after this generation. Wow! I had no idea.

Ha, sorry about that I have a disability that makes it difficult to spell correctly. The word was ment to be "condemns"

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   

"Fifty percent of the corn in Iowa is used to produce ethanol."

The sad thing about ethanol is there's just no way in hell it's energy positive.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Well I do apologize if you dislike my attitude; perhaps we can talk about that further.

There's nothing wrong with your aptitude.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

For what its worth, thank you for the article and link. My apologies for any rudeness as I am a jerk in the grand scheme of things.

I wish they would have stuck to the farming issues and left out the politics, but maybe they were trying to draw in and educate an audience that would normally just gloss over important information and possibly the main point of the article, our farming practices.

I was a very hardcore free market/capitalist type person, but anymore I am not so sure. I just think that if we don't starting moralizing some of our actions, we are doomed.

Again my apologies and thank you for your time.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Since the snowflake in chief complains about literally everything ,all the time, there seems to have been a surge of copycats.

There it is

Orange Man Bad

Wait a minute..... You are saying that the left are all thin skinned whiny brats? Oh Goodness. Ive been wondering what the definition was. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

There it is

Orange Man Bad

Yeah.

So much evidence for that. I don’t see one single bead of sweat running off his brow. Because he’s a ‘shoe-in’ already.

He must be gutted

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
RENT FREE

Trump is loving it

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Iowa sucks.

Second line.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

You aren't allowed to moralize your actions in business. When you try to operate off any principle except money or leftist dogma, the left comes and claims your scalp.

Notice how hard they try to undercut businesses that do operate according to principles they don't like?

So whose morals exactly are you endorsing? PETA's?

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

He's not all bad the old trumpy, he really just seams to have an overly sensitive ego and that makes him seem childish sometimes, it is what it is.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join