It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa Doesn't Only Control Politics, It Controls How We Eat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Watch out Iowa ... some people on the coast don't like you very much.

WNYC's Brian Lehrer says "Iowa Doesn't Only Control Politics, It Controls How We Eat" and he and his compatriot "Mark Bittman, the author of How to Cook Everything and the founder and editor-in-chief of Heated, a Medium magazine, talk about his latest visit to Iowa where he determined that the state’s impact on the food system may be bigger and more difficult to change than its impact on politics"

Podcast Link

Article Link

I was in Iowa last week shooting for the PBS NewsHour Weekend "Future of Food” series. There are some good things going on — and you’ll see them in the segment, which will run later this summer or fall — but I left feeling depressed as hell. It’s bad enough that Iowa plays an outsized role in determining presidential candidates; its population, after all, is less than 1 percent of the country’s. But its impact on the food system is even greater, and may be even more difficult to change.

Is it just me or is there something fundemantly wrong when people from New York agonize over how the people from another state live their lives?

What is wrong with us as a country that we are so compelled to tell other people what is wrong with them and feel we need to change them?

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Our rent and rat problems are better too
Go Hawks!!
edit on 7 by Mandroid7 because: My fingers are too thick from muscle because of good beef to type on my phone

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Maybe they could turn New York into a true Utopia before coming out to fix flyover? Just a thought because New York is a cesspool.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Must be a new angle the Progs are going for. Hadn't seen this one, but the loving Communists @ The Daily Beast just put out one of their brilliantly unthought out pieces...
In public they sell organic vegetables. In private they join white supremacist groups. Now activists are pushing back.

HONK HONK

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Since the snowflake in chief complains about literally everything ,all the time, there seems to have been a surge of copycats.

edit on 18-7-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yeah, I saw that one, and all I could think of was to wonder how anyone would know if the organic produce sellers at the local farmers' market were lefties or white supremacists without extensive background checks, and why anyone would actually care since both sorts are pretty obnoxious politically, but I see no reason why that would keep me from buying their homegrown cabbages.

It's just one more area where the two extremes overlap in behavior for different reasons that end up expressing in the same behavior.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Since the snowflake in chief complains about literally everything ,all the time, there seems to have been a surge of copycats.

Please link for me where Trump needs a safe space and has asked for coloring books and a therapy puppy.

A picture of him screaming at the sky... Trump in a vag hat perhaps?

Seriously... the term "snowflake" came about as a jab at the left for needing all their kids to get participation trophies, are bothered by "microaggressions" and cannot deal with the harsh reality of life.

The left over the last few years has desperately tried to attach the term to anyone who doesn't believe their ideology.

That's just projection, sweety.

Which I understand... if my lifestyle and ideology needed infantile protections just to keep their children from melting down in school I'd be embarrassed as well.

However, the left needs to own that.

edit on 18-7-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Im a Centrist, but Im concerned about round up in our food supply. Evidently this is a major entry for it. They need to pull that herbicide, and stop growing genetically modified crap. Sorry. That's how I feel.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Must be a new angle the Progs are going for. Hadn't seen this one, but the loving Communists @ The Daily Beast just put out one of their brilliantly unthought out pieces...
In public they sell organic vegetables. In private they join white supremacist groups. Now activists are pushing back.

HONK HONK

OMG!!!

I grow organic vegetables and sell them at our local farmer's market.

I had no idea that I was once again a white supremacist!!!

Although to be fair, I do look down on big city folks as being pretty useless on the topic of having a self-sustainable lifestyle while preaching about it in their apartment on their tablet...

So maybe I'm just a bigot.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Im a Centrist, but Im concerned about round up in our food supply. Evidently this is a major entry for it. They need to pull that herbicide, and stop growing genetically modified crap. Sorry. That's how I feel.

Last three lawsuits against Roundup in the US paid 78 million, over 100 million and 2 billion.

Class action lawsuits out there now, 3 different waves of legal action are planned at this point...

The chickens are coming home to roost for Monsanto.

I'm pretty happy about that.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I read the article. Absolutely nothing in the article suggests that the author doesn't like Iowans. The author's problem is with the government regs that govern farming, creating the mess we have now, affecting not just Iowans... and not just farmers in Iowa... but the entire country.

Yet somehow you missed all that.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
I read the article. Absolutely nothing in the article suggests that the author doesn't like Iowans. The author's problem is with the government regs that govern farming, creating the mess we have now, affecting not just Iowans... and not just farmers in Iowa... but the entire country.

Shhhhh. Some people don't read before they post, you're ****ing that up.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Chopsticks, is how I eat. Do the Iowans control me? I'd have guessed it was the Chinese

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yeah, but this guy is from New York. Try suggesting to him that government is the problem. Good luck with that!

Instead, he opines all about how the farmers just don't care as if it's their fault.
edit on 18-7-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

There it is

Orange Man Bad

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

That's a fine opinion; but that opinion is not in the same mood as the article I linked too; where in the writer doesn't just lament about the best ways to grow crops but instead condoms a whole community he doesn't even belong too.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Maybe you haven't noticed it all as you are so heavily invested in it.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

When you start your thoughts off with how iowa has too big an influence on picking a president..."a difficalt problem" that is only over showed by how they choose to run their agricultural ... than your animosity is more than just seeing problems in regulation and farming practices.

I did not miss the fact that the author has certain opinions about how agricultural should be run. The reason the artical peeked my intrest and why I started this post was the additude in which the author chose to put forth his opinions.
edit on 18-7-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Shhhhh. Some people don't read before they post, you're ****ing that up.

My bad. I forgot my audience.

Thank you for the oh-so-gentle correction

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

After reading the article, this OP does appear to be a little dishonest.

I actually agree with a lot of points the author/article makes:

Fifty percent of the corn in Iowa is used to produce ethanol.

— that almost all industrially grown corn and soybeans start with genetically engineered seed. But that is so little a part of the problem that it’s almost not worth mentioning. Even if the seeds were traditional heirloom varieties, wonderful from every possible angle (and impossible in this system), things would suck about 1 percent less, because the problems with genetic engineering pale next to those of the general state of industrial agriculture. Glyphosate (the main ingredient in Roundup, the herbicide that is paired with crops genetically engineered to resist it but kill every other plant it touches) is fearsome stuff. But when it doesn’t work, people stop using it, and switch to another — often more toxic — chemical.

Farmers in this area like to pretend they grow food, but that is highly debatable. I think the closest they come anymore is growing feed for livestock that is considered actual food. Corn and Soybeans...sure, pull the other lever.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join