It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For anyone who likes a certain prototype and model kits!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Here's something I never thought I'd see. Time to get back into making models I think!

Airfix launches TSR 2 kit

[edit on 4-3-2005 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Great isnt it? Cant wait to build it and hang it from my ceiling

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'd have killed for that model, back when I was about fifteen!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Same here! I'll have to get three I reckon, one to buid as an accurate replica, one 'what if' version with full squadron markings, camouflage and weapons, maybe a Falklands 'black buck' type version as it was supposed to replace the Vulcan and Canberra (no offense to peronemlin etc) and another one for when I think of what to do with it.

edit; It would clearly never have entered service as the 'TSR 2', so what name might it have acquired? BAC seem to have 'weather' based names (Lightning, Tornado etc) although the Canberra was the last RAF bomber to follow the tradition of carrying a city name.

BAC Thunder GR 1? hmmm maybe, maybe not.......

[edit on 4-3-2005 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Mmmmmmm, nice.

I have a liking for the larger scale stuff myself (the Hasagawa Tomcat in 1/32 is awesome.......if you - still - go for that kind of thing), I'd love to see a super-detail-able 1/48 or 1/32 kit.

(Wow, imagine if Airfix went back and re-opened their 1/24 line with this one!
)

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

There's an interesting note about the box art (seen under the model in the photo)on the site. Apparently it depicts the test flight where Roland Beaumont, flying on just one engine, lit the burner and went supersonic leaving the Lightning chase plane for dead despite it using both engines on full power trying to keep up.

Would that mean, in terms of using both engines on dry power only, we would have had a supercruising bomber in the 1960's? I guess we'll never know but it does seem likely given that event.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
thats cool waynos...yeah its funny it just having that 1 engine burning on the box eh?......

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

There's an interesting note about the box art (seen under the model in the photo)on the site. Apparently it depicts the test flight where Roland Beaumont, flying on just one engine, lit the burner and went supersonic leaving the Lightning chase plane for dead despite it using both engines on full power trying to keep up.

It wasnt just any old test flight, it was infact the LAST flight of the TSR2. Labour needs to be shot for cancelling this aircraft.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Doesn't look detailed/fit very well,but then again I'm a hardcore modeller

Check out : www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You might be a hardcore modeller but I don't think you can tell the quality of the kit from one low res shot of the test specimen. Besides, I can't see one poor join in the shot so I don't know what your on about anyway.

You should also know that a model is only as detailed as you make it, unless your really just a hardcore kitbasher?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
How is this topic an "Aircraft Project"?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
How is this topic an "Aircraft Project"?

Well, is an aircraft, and it would be cool to build it as a school project

Seriously though, its a ''different'' plane.

EDIT- Bets starting on how long it will take for some one to build one and then fake a ''sighting'' of one.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Zanzibar]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think most if not all plane buffs on here will have built models at some time or other and the subject matter, the TSR 2, has been a hot topic on here before, other model kits have also been posted (ie MiG 37 Ferret in concepts thread - never anything OTHER than a model kit).

Besides, if the subject does not appeal to you just ignore it, like I do with so many non-aircraft techno babble threads.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Besides, if the subject does not appeal to you just ignore it, like I do with so many non-aircraft techno babble threads.

I can't ignore it, this is one of my assigned forums and I see nothing to convince me this belongs in this forum. It's about a model, not a project. I'll be moving it soon but I want people to know that before I do, so they can find it. I'm thinking Chit Chat but I'm not sold on that yet, just use your Subscribed Threads if it isn't there.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoogans
I'd have killed for that model, back when I was about fifteen!

there nothing wrong with building models. im almost 20 and i still do it. ive been doing it sence 6th grade and i really enjoy it. i build Warhammer 40k and various Planes and tanks and soldiers. my focus is on WWII but i have done some modern stuff. ive even won some awards for my models too. ill post a pic in this thread later

join