It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LGBTQ at higher risk for dementia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Actually the few i've encountered didn't have dementia...they were just old

that was my point

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: JAGStorm

I would say that certain unhealthy lifestyles put one more at risk.

There was once a NIH study on why lesbians were so at risk to be overweight, for example. A lot of the factors that go into making one overweight also can lead to an increased risk of Alzheimer's according to research.

So if a greater percentage of the population in question are leading less healthy lives for whatever reason, then those factors may be leading them to Alzhiemer's more than their sexual proclivities. At that point, it may be a matter of correlation not equaling causation.

From what i learned there is a risk for every american to be overweight. Never saw that many fat people in one country.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   
you are what you eat,

plain and simple!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Cause they can't rembywhat orientation they are to begin with?

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: tulsi

Ok, apparently I'm a fkn pork chop. Thanks

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: CthruU

Actually the few i've encountered didn't have dementia...they were just old

that was my point

Yes im aware of that, it was a joke about dementia.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: hiddenNZ
a reply to: tulsi

Ok, apparently I'm a fkn pork chop. Thanks

Maybe we should just be grateful that we are not prostitutes?

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   
scare tactics much?

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: JAGStorm

I call bulls**t on this one...

Eight years working with dementia patients... i've only came across a few LGBTQ

Its extremely rare

In your experience, would you distinguish between transgender and homosexual for these purposes for any reason? Would you consider these different experiences or conditions?

I ask because I would, and I'm just wondering if my distinction would be valid. Homosexuality is a preference, whereas transgender is a perspective. The former is about what one likes, the latter is about what one thinks they are/should be.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

From what i learned there is a risk for every american to be overweight. Never saw that many fat people in one country.

It's really sad, isn't it? I don't know if the problem is getting worse, or if I'm just noticing more, but it does seem that more people are overweight. I think fake food ingredients has much to do with it. Fake sugars, fake fats, preservatives, food colorings, and on and on. High fructose corn syrup is the worst. Hubby and I are pretty good about preparing and eating good whole foods, but that's about all that's worth eating these days! Even the junk foods we used to enjoy just don't taste the same. We hardly eat anything pre-made these days. And neither of us are overweight, we don't have cholesterol problems, diabetes, etc.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

THere's a strong correlation between being bottle-fed (versus breast-fed) as an infant, and obesity after age 30. I'll see if I can find the link. ( Wife was a stern lactivist back when she was in the biz...)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

I am talking about someone already overweight. If you are, then your risks for certain diseases spikes as compared to your non-overweight counterparts.

It may be that certain conditions are comorbid with homosexuality, and it's *those* that spike the risk of Alzheimer's in either population - gay or straight - but you find those conditions more for some reason in the homosexual population.

In other words, I am saying that while it may not be wrong that homosexuals do have a higher incidence of Alzheimer's as reported, it may not be because they are homosexuals, but due to some other condition homosexuals may be more at risk for than the general populace.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join