It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Line dried clothes vs Drying machines

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: JAGStorm

Years ago,I used to have a clotheline in my backyard.I would love to
have one now but my homeowners association would have a fit.

Do you live in a solar rights state, if so, there is absolutely nothing they can do to you.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I get what you are saying but i don't get how HOA's have the power to do that - unless the home is actually bought from an HOA rather than a private individual (so it could be included in terms of sale, etc). If the HOA don't own the property, how can they stop you? Surely the rights of a homeowner supercede any impostions an HOA like to impose? (for something as arbitrary as a washing line, as opposed to say building a race track in your garden!).

Regardless, washing lines all the way with me. We have really cut down on drier use over the last year and the results are actually very impressive. Clothes don't fade or shrink as much, smell far nicer when dried and (the real kicker) our electricity bill is hundreds of pounds a year less. Honestly couldn't believe how much we saved on the electric....

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It is insane, but people will buy a house in a development with an HOA just to 'keep out the riff raff' and have better resale value.
Not me.

Don't need that over here in Blighty - i find that flying an EU flag on the front lawn keeps everyone away!

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Graysen

A lot of Homeowner associations don't allow line drying of clothes. They say it depresses resale value of neighboring houses by making the neighborhood "appear poor."

www.caionline.org...
www.clotheslines.com...

Not sure if you live in a solar rights / solar access state. If you do, your solar rights supersede that of any HOA or even village.
Yes that means your HOA can't tell you that you can't line hang clothing if you live in one of those states. You can tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine!

Its not coincidence that HOA is pronounced like the New Jersey pronunciation of "whore"

Most of them forbid gardening for food--I was working on a "stealth vegetable garden" when we lived in the big smog.

Even worse, most HOAs forbid beekeeping. So I was done right there. That and I live in the country where my kids can shoot BB guns on our own property.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

I get what you are saying but i don't get how HOA's have the power to do that - unless the home is actually bought from an HOA rather than a private individual (so it could be included in terms of sale, etc). If the HOA don't own the property, how can they stop you? Surely the rights of a homeowner supercede any impostions an HOA like to impose? (for something as arbitrary as a washing line, as opposed to say building a race track in your garden!).

Regardless, washing lines all the way with me. We have really cut down on drier use over the last year and the results are actually very impressive. Clothes don't fade or shrink as much, smell far nicer when dried and (the real kicker) our electricity bill is hundreds of pounds a year less. Honestly couldn't believe how much we saved on the electric....

You are exactly right, I do believe you are buying from an owner, AND an HOA. Many times the HOA have what are called common areas. Whey you buy a car, they tell you it is X amount and you will pay this much per month, if that doesn't work you don't buy it. If you get a lease they tell you that you can do XYZ, and have to get oil changes at etc. If you don't like it you don't lease. That is exactly how a HOA works. The problem is that people just don't believe it.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheOnlyBilko

Pretty much this.

I have some office clothing that's going on 10 years now. The red in the shirt has barely started to fade.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join