It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remarkable Sculptures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There seems to be no end to human creativity. Unfortunately, my city is home to plenty of rather ugly or unremarkable sculptures, but I have been lucky enough to see many beautiful, horrifying, evocative, and controversial statues over the years. I'm in awe of a sculptor's ability to pull life from stone (or other inanimate material).
I thought to dedicate a thread to some of the more outstanding or fascinating sculptures I've read about (haven't seen any of these-- have you?).

Feel free to add some of your own!

Kindred Spirits

(photo credit to Gavin Sheridan commons.wikimedia.org...:Chocktaw_Memorial.jpg)
This beautiful, delicate sculpture is a memorial from the Irish to the Chocktaw Nation commemorating the 1847 donation the impovershed Chocktaws sent to Irish during the Great Hunger.
en.wikipedia.org...(sculpture)
www.atlasobscura.com...
Representatives of the two commuities still meet to honor one another.

Melancolie

Pictures of this statue have made quite a stir online. From what I've read, the piece has spoken to many suffering from loss/grief in a way that nothing else could. Part of the beauty of art and literature is its abillity to put words to emotions/ideas that are common to us all but intangible. Here's a link to a short article about this sculpture and the response from the artist:
totallybuffalo.com...

''The Mystery of the Hereafter'' or ''Beyond Pain and Beyond Joy.''
This memorial to the ill-fated wife of Henry Adams has many monikers. Sometimes called "Grief," (Mark Twain said this figure "embodies all human grief") sometimes "Peace," this androgynous angelic figure has fascinated many over the years and even inspired a very creepy replica (more on that coming). Read more here:
www.nytimes.com...

Black Aggie

Legends abound about the creepy doppelganger to the statue Grief.

Frightening enough in the daylight, one can only imagine how creepy the statue looked at night. Tales of horror that started as gossipy whispers turned to parlor room chatter and then to local newspaper stories and the legend of Black Aggie was born. So what were those stories? Well, run these visuals: her eyes glowing red at the stroke of midnight, the dead rising from their graves to gather round her, her cold metal arms coming to life and clutching a young boy who is frightened to death.

It's been moved from the Agnus family plot due to the traffic it drew-- donated to the Smithsonian which stashed her away, but fairly recently discoved to have been quietly sitting in a Maryland courtyard since 1987. Read more of the fascinating lore here:
baltimorefishbowl.com...
www.dyingtotelltheirstories.com...

Veiled Christ

A breathtaking piece with a fascinating history. Read about this and the next gorgeous piece, Modesty, in this excellent thread by FauxMulder:
(there's a LOT to the history-- creepy and interesting.)
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Modesty

Hope you enjoyed the art as much as I! Have a great day, friends, and if you want to post more pictures, please do!

edit on 17-7-2019 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Cool thread! As soon as I read the title it reminded me of that thread.

I don't think these qualify as a sculptures but I think they're pretty damn cool anyway:

edit on 17-7-2019 by FauxMulder because: reptilians shape-shifted my keyboard

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

edit on 17-7-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

join