It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Education: More clones for the state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
A Continuous Procession of Clones for the State

Last week's National Education Association conference in New Orleans was cause for concern among social studies teachers in attendance. As reported by CNN, the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NEAP) found, "About one third ofstudents in fourth, eighth, and 12th grade could not even show a basic understanding of civics at their grade level." Rather than look upon this news as a sign of failure, teachers should view it as one more example of the state-managed school system's long-running success in taking the youth of this country and turning them into first-class illiterates and ignoramuses.

According to CNN, the "challenge" for teachers "is to not only make government and history interesting, but to keep students from becoming alarmingly disengaged." As the story implies, the "alarmingly disengaged" now, become apathetic citizens later. They don't vote and consequently, facilitate the undermining of our democratic system of government. Supposedly, when enough citizens became disengaged from the political process, we all lose.

One participant at the NEA conference even identified the measure of her success as a teacher by how many of her former students voted. Another participant suggested making student councils more like "true governments," instead of "social clubs." Said she: "If we could involve the kids more in the decision-making at the school, where they would see immediate impact and the ability to influence, that would put more of the message in them: They can actually do something."

For almost ten years now, I have taught government, economics, and history in a public high school. I would never contemplate teaching kids to think that government should be about "doing something." That is the absolute worst thing you can do as a teacher if you want your students to have a respect for the freedom of the individual, the Constitution, limited government, free markets, and the founding of our once great republic. Inculcating kids with the crazy notion that government is constituted to "do something" every time life gets difficult or just inconvenient, only serves to roll out the red carpet for totalitarian government.

Kids should be taught that anything in life can be accomplished without the aid of government, from the construction and management of schools, to the building of roads, and the "regulation" of commerce. Yet, as one of the NEA conference attendees suggested, even a skate park would, at some point, need the assistance of government to be completed; therefore, kids should be taught how to access government resources.

If kids are taught that government is their savior, their deliverer, their provider, how will they ever learn to be innovative, entrepreneurial, or resilient in a crisis? Eventually, kids who have been sufficiently trained and indoctrinated in the "benefits" of government planning and organization, will not wait for the first sign of difficulty when solving a problem; they will immediately turn to the government for help as per their training....

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Are we finding a common ground here, Colonel?

Since it was a copy-n-paste, I don't know how *you* feel about this other than guess that you agree.

I think the public schools are in need of help, not money per se, but help. The voucher idea is a good one, imho. And really, what is there to lose at this point? It's worth a shot!

But since 'Bush Sucks' it probably won't get the support it needs.

(Colonel: something like this, since it lacks any comments from you, is appropriate for the Xgate system here on this site � this IS a discussion forum. Just add some commentary or I�ll have get Zion in here to explain it to you
)

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
(Colonel: something like this, since it lacks any comments from you, is appropriate for the Xgate system here on this site � this IS a discussion forum. Just add some commentary or I�ll have get Zion in here to explain it to you
)

I wan't aware of that, sorry.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yes, I do feel our schools are in peril but, I don't know about this voucher system. I think its a plot to divest the government of more funds and privatise the school system.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   
That's exactly what I want! Private schools, home schooling, etc: excellent alternatives to the public school system.

Colonel, read the article you just posted. Why the peril? Because the government is teaching our children, that's why!

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well, they teach everyone the same thing. Mind control by the government? Well, could be if everyone is taught the same, they know the same, and for some this is enough. But still, the government could do worse, it could do better. First thing to do? Stop spending so much money on inner city schools. Why? It doesn't matter how much you spend if half the kids are stoned and the other half are dead due to gangs, drugs, and just plain stupidity. Sure some are smart, want better lives. But what about the other 99.99999% who have jobs as drug dealers or prostitutes? They don't want/need a education.

Look at the schools and their performance. If it does well, give it money. If it does poorly, stop giving so much. Why give a million to a school where only three will make it past the age of 20 without being arrested and sent to jail when a school with more then 90% of the people will live to never see the inside of a jail cell?

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Did some one put something in your water Herr Colonel.....!!
I thought I was reading someone elses topic.....

Vouchers with some real dollars behind them can work for parents who have no means to get the private school experience if that is what they want.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Well ignore the vouchers for a moment.

I find it Ironic that the teachers in this article are all talking about "Republican Ideals" and yet Colonel is a Democrat or some extreme liberal or such.

I wouldn't be surprised if Colonel expects the Federal Government to do everything....

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:09 AM
link   
This is a great idea, I also agree that public schools have fallen below on teaching criteria. I like japans educational requirments. They teach at a rapid pace though.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
This is a great idea, I also agree that public schools have fallen below on teaching criteria. I like japans educational requirments. They teach at a rapid pace though.

You sayin our young'ins can't read fast??? lol

[Edited on 13-7-2003 by Tyriffic]

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I've read a lot in australian papers, about the ridiculuous, brain conditioning going on in schools in new york and washington, it's in the form of political correctness of the nuttiest degree. ie :-
words to be banned
yacht - elitist - use "big boat" instead
he lives in the hills - discrimates against those who don't live in hills. stupid

being a mechanic or a carpenter, - too macho, men must be nurturing caregivers, how poofy can ya get??

banning of the book "the little engine that could" because --shock horror!- the engine is male!!!!!!!!
rich or poor - discrimination against rich or poor people
and the list goes on, how can anyone take this crap seriously they are turning our kids into mindless sheep, and most people just don't care, many have the "we just have to put up with it" attitude, talk about sheep mentality, resist the NWO don't follow it

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Vouchers? Yeah, Im all for that. For all people. I think that homeschooling is the best option though, as the idea of state indoctrinating the kids is disturbing.

I dont appreciaiate comments about inner city schools, though, I went to one for highschool, and a few for elementary. The kids arent 99% lazy stupid druggies. Yeah, there was alot of gang violence. The problem with that is the same as the problem with the schools: idiot parents who shouldnt be breeding in the first place, giving no form of moral guidance to thier kids, just going to work and letting the world babysit thier offspring. If parents were forced to be more responsible and given more authority over thier kids, we wouldnt have this problem. I think the state should surrender all control and responsibility to the kids, and only intervene if the situation is desperate (abuse, begelt). But i think parents should be given a free ahnd with the kids, and if they feel the need to punish them, so be it.

But ultimately, kids, in my opinion, are the sole property of the parents, and the state should not have any say in thier upbringing and education. Inner city schools brainwash kids just as good as the ones in the burbs. I am sick of political agendas and ideologies being forced down peoples throats. it is the parents who must decide what thier kids are taught. Homeschooled kids actually fare better, anyways, emotionally and socially, and get higher grades. The parents dont have to be geniuses, kids naturally learn and grasp things pretty well. Give em textbooks and a lesson plan, and they can excell quite well

top topics

join