It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people live without air conditioning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I know, I know very first world problem.

It is hot here, I have my air set to 71 and it is running non-stop. I live in a pretty cool place, Wisconsin.
I just can't imagine not having air conditioning in the South or other hot climates.
I read a story that in India the temperature was a high of 120F, and that only 6% of people have air conditioning.

My God, I must be spoiled rotten.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

People jump in the Ganges River to cool off in India. Which gives you an idea why the Ganges looks the way it does

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I have always lived in Georgia
For most of my early years , there were no air conditioners. (except window fans)
Temps hung in the 90s with closing on 100% humidity.
We were used to the heat back then.
I like the cool air , but yet spend a lot of time outside , feeling the heat.
Folks nowadays are spoilt rotten
I would survive even at my age .
A lot of folks would not.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

People jump in the Ganges River to cool off in India. Which gives you an idea why the Ganges looks the way it does

Between the bodies, poopie, trash, chemical pollution and other goodies floating in the Ganges, I think I would take my chances in the sweltering heat

Here in TX during the Summer it regularly gets over 100 for days on end, so an A/C is a must. Being so used to having such luxuries as air conditioning, many of our bodies just would not be able to handle such great temperatures without some type of cooling mechanism.

Then again, there are 4 guys from south of the border who have been living in a small, uninsulated 12x20 garage a couple of doors down from us with no A/C for a few years now, and they seem to be able to handle it well. I guess some people can adjust to the heat better than others.

edit on 7/15/2019 by Inconceivable because: spelling

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

How do people live without air conditioning

By the following.

Drink lots of water. When you sweat because of the heat, you lose water to cool you off. Unless you replace this water, you may become dehydrated. It is a good idea to put ice in your water to cool you down more.

Put tomorrow's clothes in the refrigerator. This keeps your clothes cool for tomorrow morning when you put them on. Put them in there a little bit before you go to bed for maximum cooling.

Keep an eye on the news. The news will likely have the latest on the weather and what temperatures to expect for the following days. The Weather Channel is also a good alternative.

Keep people spaced out. You emit body heat when you are alive which can transfer to another person making them hotter. Space out about ten feet to ensure you will get the least amount of warm air.

Take warm showers. Take warm showers in the morning and at night to keep you cold. Do not take cold showers because then the body tries to heat you up, instead of cooling you down.

Turn on fans. They keep cold air circulating through the room and cool off the hot air. If you have one, use a personal fan. Rotating ground fans are the best.

Suck on ice cubes. Keeping your upper body is essential as it is the base temperature for the rest of the body. The frozen water will also melt and give you water.

Take warm showers. Take warm showers in the morning and at night to keep you cold. Do not take cold showers because then the body tries to heat you up, instead of cooling you down.

Go to the pool. Being submerged in water cools off your body and hydrates your pores. You may also make good friends who's houses may still have air conditioning!

And my personal favorite.

Go to a place with air conditioning. These are good places to cool off. Places like the library and movie theater can also take your mind off the heat by distracting you. You may also go to a friend’ house. It’s likely that they still have air conditioning!

www.wikihow.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Heat is tolerable with a good basement. Survived several Kansas summers with basement apartments and no A/C. It really wasn't all that bad. I think we'd be fine in our current house now with no air if the basement was livable.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

One we used when I was younger - we would put a fan on in our rooms and wet down the backs of our tees at night. The fan blowing over the wet shirt back was nice.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Air conditioning is a human right.

It's also used by the patriarchy to keep women as second class citizens.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Everybody thinks England is always cold and wet, which it mostly is (and I love) but in the summer for the few weeks we have of sun, it can become hell! I have no energy to move barely and at night I just lay in bed pouring with sweat and have a giant fan on me full blast with the windows open, doesn't help much. I would give anything for an air conditioner in the summer here, I don't even think i've ever seen them on sale though, not really a thing here.

I really don't tolerate heat well though, I feel very comfortable in the cold.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

One we used when I was younger - we would put a fan on in our rooms and wet down the backs of our tees at night. The fan blowing over the wet shirt back was nice.

Kind of a homemade swamp cooler , huh ?

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I live in NC. on an estate. The weather doesn't bother me much. I step into the livery which is connected to the Manor House and is also air conditioned, into the Bentley and am driven wherever I need to go, however it must be air conditioned. The theatre or an associates abode, again air conditioned. The only time I must suffer heat is exiting my auto for a short distance to the building. Also the return from the place of visitation, back into my auto. All the time covered by a parasol carried by my driver. Inside the Bentley awaiting me is an iced beverage to combat the momentary heat that I endured.

My pool is covered and air conditioned as is my aviary and green house for my orchids. I am content.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I know, I know very first world problem.

It is hot here, I have my air set to 71 and it is running non-stop. I live in a pretty cool place, Wisconsin.
I just can't imagine not having air conditioning in the South or other hot climates.
I read a story that in India the temperature was a high of 120F, and that only 6% of people have air conditioning.

My God, I must be spoiled rotten.

Summer here is hot, not brutal India hot, but hot.

Let's just say we get a lot of 'south of the wall' immigrants moving here...they actually blast their heater when it's even slightly not hot. They don't use A/C.

I have to go sit in the sunshine to cool off after working inside their homes.

edit on 15-7-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Taking warm showers makes sense.

Where I live, western North Carolina, it was 96 degrees, with humidity levels through the roof.

I normally break out in a sweat, just walking outside. Today, I barely sweat at all.

I have severe pain, so I reluctantly took a hot bath, with Epsom salt, to hopefully ease the pain. I say reluctantly, because I was afraid it would make me hotter. The opposite happened. I actually stayed cooler.

I remember when I was younger, when going to the pool in summer. We would take a cold shower, then quickly run and jump in the pool. The water in the pool would feel very warm, when in actuality, it was still cold.

I am glad you brought this up. Now, I will take very hot baths in the morning, to help ease my chronic pain, and to stay cooler during the day.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I have no idea... It's been 90+ here almost every day for weeks here with pretty killer humidity.

Though the cats up in the mountains around me have it ten degrees cooler with less humidity... I could do it up there, which is the plan one day.

Once I get my turbo diesel VW paid off, it's off to the mountain I go... With 40+ mpgs for my commute. And the diesel should last the test of time.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

They don't live, they just survive.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Back in the day when I had a waterbed I simply unplugged the heater. It kept me nicely cool because at the time I was working 3rd shift and sleeping during the day. Woke up on day and it was 90 in the bedroom but I was very comfortable.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I have always lived in Georgia
For most of my early years , there were no air conditioners. (except window fans)
Temps hung in the 90s with closing on 100% humidity.
We were used to the heat back then.
I like the cool air , but yet spend a lot of time outside , feeling the heat.
Folks nowadays are spoilt rotten
I would survive even at my age .
A lot of folks would not.

Don't even get me started on Southern temperature tolerance. I lived in Florida, it was
45 degrees for two seconds and grown men were wearing blankets in the streets.
Women had mittens and furs on. I didn't know what my eyes were seeing.

They would go absolutely insane during one of our brutal winters. Imagine temps with windchills of -38f.
So cold your eyelashes freeze, your breath freezes.
Yes your breath. The news people tell you try not to breath too hard outside! LOL

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ntech
Back in the day when I had a waterbed I simply unplugged the heater. It kept me nicely cool because at the time I was working 3rd shift and sleeping during the day. Woke up on day and it was 90 in the bedroom but I was very comfortable.

I had two waterbeds in my life. I absolutely loved them in the winter!

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Invest in a window unit?

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Inconceivable

I guess some people can adjust to the heat better than others.

If it is not killing temps anyone can adjust it they make the effort.The AC actually makes you get sick.

Things are changing fast, my sister calls from Alaska and says it is almost 90, no one here has AC! They have a frozen waterfall in Brazil on the equator, they don't have heating!We have no AC at the coast Northern Ca either, never been that warm.

What will it be like, I wonder if it will be so fast even i will see!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join