It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save Money....Hire a guy you "know"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I never liked this bull#, but sometimes you have to yield and just let this crap happen.

Save a few buck, hire a guy you know and he'll do a good job for half the price.

That's bull#, and I've known it for years.

Well, here I am on a half ass decent night, out in the garage and drinking some beers and watching some shows. Then lo and behold a storm comes. I've spent the last hour trying to keep 30 plus gallons of water swamping my shop and my stuff because the slab in this place is garbage(poorly tapered and not draining properly).

My biggest issue??? I ran out of beer and am on my last cigar. I'll be out here another hour or so just trying to protect what little left I care about out here(my gym setup and my safe). I'm about to go inside and grab whatever I have left(An 18 year old bottle of scotch, meant for a "special" occasion) and a few cigars so I can babysit this disaster.

Word of wisdom to the kids, if you are paying someone less than what's required for the job, you are getting much less. I know it(knew it at the time, just didn't want to fight that battle). I'm paying for it now and you will too eventually.
edit on 14-7-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I've been running around with a squeegee every 15 minutes trying to control the flow, while drinking soda...yuk...and shaking my head.

First world problems are still problems.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It's 100 degrees here(temp + humidity) and where are my fans pointed? at the god damn floor. Trying to dry this crap up will I sit in the sweltering heat ranting to a bunch of fools online.

Fools on a different forum of course, I don't mean you guys.....

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Water flows into my small side garage door when there is a severe storm. I duct tape the bottom of the door to the cement so it cant flow in. Then the next day, I dig a trench along the walkway in the dirt do it can flow into the front

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Water flows into my small side garage door when there is a severe storm. I duct tape the bottom of the door to the cement so it cant flow in. Then the next day, I dig a trench along the walkway in the dirt do it can flow into the front

This one was bad, the doors were literally running(both) with water from every panel crack inside and the top. Granted it was a lot of rain at the right direction(wind). Still, a well pored slab shouldn't have made this such a huge problem.

I have 2 floor drains, it was tapered poorly and the doors where installed poorly(poor seals).

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm sorry for your drain problems, Mr. S.

Why were you watching tv in the garage? Is it because you knew the flooding was coming? Or were you watching tv in the garage before it started? Edit: I read the OP again. You were already watching tv in the garage. Why garage tv?

Who was the battle with, about hiring the less-priced guy to do the work?
edit on 14-7-2019 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Is it a guy you know, or a friend? Does he have his own business of some sort, or did you do this under the table?

If you’re not concerned of what he thinks of you, it may not hurt to reach out to an attorney tomorrow...

a reply to: MisterSpock

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
I'm sorry for your drain problems, Mr. S.

Why were you watching tv in the garage? Is it because you knew the flooding was coming? Or were you watching tv in the garage before it started?

Who was the battle with, about hiring the less-priced guy to do the work?

I have a larger detached garage that is cigar friendly and houses my temporary liquor collection.

I was out there...like I always am(has a TV and puter too).

So not out of the ordinary for me to be out there, but was out of the ordinary for me to have to deal with such a crap fest when I'm just trying to enjoy what little free time I have away from the usual crap fest(work).

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Medusa18
Is it a guy you know, or a friend? Does he have his own business of some sort, or did you do this under the table?

If you’re not concerned of what he thinks of you, it may not hurt to reach out to an attorney tomorrow...

I don't know him, but one of those guys that's "been doing this for decades...." that doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Pretty much just like the other 90 percent of the population.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

I don't know him, but one of those guys that's "been doing this for decades...." that doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Who did you have to battle with, about having this guy do the work instead of a real pro? Yourself?

Sorry you can't smoke your cigars in your house (although it sounds like you might prefer the setup/routine you have). My dad always smoked cigars in the house, until my mom put a stop to sometime while I was in college. Now when I visit the parents, I do miss the scent of a cigar. It's a homey and comforting smell for me.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Who did you have to battle with, about having this guy do the work instead of a real pro? Yourself?

Sorry you can't smoke your cigars in your house (although it sounds like you might prefer the setup/routine you have). My dad always smoked cigars in the house, until my mom put a stop to sometime while I was in college. Now when I visit the parents, I do miss the scent of a cigar. It's a homey and comforting smell for me.

It is a dirty habit, I won't smoke them in the house.

Plus the garage has all the same things, sans AC, I don't mind that though.

I didn't battle with anyone, I saw it coming and just shut my mouth. Obviously a family member, which is moot at this point. The point is that you can't have a job done right if it doesn't cost the amount it takes to have a job done right.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

It is a dirty habit, I won't smoke them in the house.

Plus the garage has all the same things, sans AC, I don't mind that though.

I didn't battle with anyone, I saw it coming and just shut my mouth. Obviously a family member, which is moot at this point. The point is that you can't have a job done right if it doesn't cost the amount it takes to have a job done right.

Ok. Was just curious because you said more than once that you didn't feel like fighting the battle on it.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Cut a square in the concrete, put in a small tub to collect the water and seal it up with quickcrete. Get a sump pump and do some pluming to eject the water through a pipe in the garages wall. Problem solved.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Ehhh....I dunno. I would say even if you "hire a pro" and pay more these days your odds of having the job done right are still pretty low unless you know everything you need to know about doing the job yourself so you can watch them and call them when they start doing a half-assed job. At that point, you might as well do the job yourself.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You drink beer and smoke cigars? You deserve it all.. ruining cigars.

Might as well sit in a tent with a pint of cheap wine and vape.

Lol

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Lots of people I know hired me to work on their homes. It saved them money. I was cheaper than other residential builders, and way more fussy. By law, I had to warrant my jobs for five years, I had to fix a guys wall on a garage and redo the garage door when his wife missed the garage door when driving in. I started drilling a rerod into the concrete and anchored those two blocks and filled them with mortar on every garage after that in case someone missed the door again. I didn't charge him for fixing it. It only took me an hour to remortar the block in and pin the block

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 01:33 AM
link   
test

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Somebody doing something for decades that has never improved their skills really only has the single year of experience. That year then repeats itself, in this instance for decades.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   

HVAC tech here, you have no idea....

Summer in Vegas hits, and all the sudden I'm everyone's best friend.

I do side jobs for sure, but I absolutely do not work for free, and I make sure my friends know that

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Even more fun is saving money to hire a gal you know!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join