It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Rom 4:11, 16 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which [he had yet] being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: . . . 16 Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
1Cor 8:6 But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.
1Thess 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.
Matt 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.
And though the writer of Hebrews made mention of the necessity to change the law it was just about the priesthood and not the law itself.
Acts 6:14 For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us.
Ac 6:14 For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us.
Roms 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.
Philippians 4:18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things [which were sent] from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.
John was written 60 years after the crucifixion not 120 as you claim. Otherwise you make John to live to well beyond 120 years old or that it wasn't written by John.
originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: Deetermined
But you can’t use a quote from John to prove that...
Because John wasn’t written until 120 years after the crucifixion..
originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: JustJohnny
I don't expect you to understand this since you don't appear to me to understand Christianity all that well, but here are a couple of links to help you understand...
I will speak in defense of the Bible but I do not worship it. You can defend something without worshiping it. I will defend my family, my neighborhood and my country but I do not worship them.
originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: ChesterJohn
Do they worship it an defend it,
I check all the Holy Ghost/Spirit leads/guides to the preserved words of God if it agrees I obey. If not I don't. Roman Catholics will physically war over its doctrine but they have no real believe that any Bible is the preserved words of God. Jews mey war over the OT but I have not seen any instance of it in the OT.
do they place its teachings above the leading of the Holy Spirit
I don't think Jesus said "Love" he did say
The religious Jews were condemned by Jesus because they were putting the law and text before Love
Matt 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
You are judging me according to your opinion I do not worship the text of the AV1611 Bible, I defend it as the pure, preserved inspired English Bible but only with words never physically like fist fights or physical battle. To say such means you do not understand what I have said in my post or my replies.
There is a word for people who worship text, defend it like you do, defend it as if without that text you wouldn’t be able to know and love Jesus, wouldn’t be able to love others
If you were a gentleman you would not resort to being sarcastic and degrading you would be loving in your actions and your words, do you not see your hypocrisy. As far as love I love people enough to tell them about Jesus Christ and what he has done for them and even if they don't except it I don't not love them. And you are correct people had the word of God in the language of their day. But you must remember Loving Jesus will not get you to heaven or save you from a burning hell.
Before your hallowed 1811 scriptures came along, many people loved Christ and others without it or your help
Not once have I ever given you a reason to think I don't see people as important. as you say it is only your opinion. But opinions do not truth make. It would seem more like you are not loving as you claim otherwise you would not reply to me in the manner in which you have.
Worship it, well pretty close and it seems the “book” is more important to you than people. Just my opinion
1John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
If we cannot believe Gods word, that there is a bible that is without errors in our generation, then we will only be left to put our trust in weak fallible men to tell us. And we would have nothing by which to see if what they say is true.
Psalm 12:6-7 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
Psalm 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.
When have you spoke to Jesus Christ face to face and know that it is him and not some other Jesus? Any time I hear from my Lord Jesus Christ (of which I have not ever seen face to face) I check what I have heard to the word of God, if it agrees then I may surmise it is He or the Holy Ghost or God the Father himself.
Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
I don't disagree with a single thing you say...
originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Can the Bible be used as an idol?
The following is my answer.
"Idolatry" is almost always the term thrown at those who believe that the AV 1611 Bible is the pure, preserved words of God. But let us examine that for a minute.
(1) Do AV 1611 Bible believers look at the word of God as something made by man (as an idol)? No, they do not, for they know that every word in that Book proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
(2) Do they genuflect (bow down) before the word of God as do those who bow to a statue of Mary, St. Joseph, etc? No, they do not.
(3) Do they pray to the word of God, as pagans pray to their images of wood and stone? No, they do not.
(4) Do they mount it on the dashboard of their car (as a statue of St. Matthew, or some other) for good luck, or safety during travel? No, they do not. But they MAY leave their Bible in the car after church on Sunday, for the whole week, LOL! More out of neglect, than for "good luck".
(5) Do they put the word of God up on a prominent shelf, in between two blinking electric candles, and glance reverently at it once in a while? No, they do not.
So instead of "idolatry", what is a AV 1611 Bible believer "guilty" of?
(1) He is guilty of receiving it "not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God ." They actually believe the words are God's words.
(2) He is guilty of magnifying the word of God above the name of God....just as God Himself does.... Ps 138:2 "I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name." Why so? Think about it -- the word of God tells us EVERYTHING we know about man's sin, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, salvation that is offered by grace through faith, etc. The word of God is the ONE MATERIAL THING that God has given to man to represent Himself, that we may read it, believe it, study it, and count on it.
(3) He is guilty of believing that God actually DID preserve his words to every generation, and that those words are not "lost", but he actually has all of those preserved words in the Bible in his hand. Psalm 12:6-7 "The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever."
I am a AV 1611 Bible believer. I read it, study it, believe every word of it, and count on it completely. When I am done studying it, I put it in a drawer, or lay a notebook on it -- I am not superstitious, and the words of God are not my "idol", but those words are a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. I thank God for the AV 1611 Bible; the inspired, pure, preserved words of God in my mother tongue.