It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do those who believe the Authorized Version 1611 only guilty of Idol worship?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Can the Bible be used as an idol?

The following is my answer.
"Idolatry" is almost always the term thrown at those who believe that the AV 1611 Bible is the pure, preserved words of God. But let us examine that for a minute.

(1) Do AV 1611 Bible believers look at the word of God as something made by man (as an idol)? No, they do not, for they know that every word in that Book proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

(2) Do they genuflect (bow down) before the word of God as do those who bow to a statue of Mary, St. Joseph, etc? No, they do not.

(3) Do they pray to the word of God, as pagans pray to their images of wood and stone? No, they do not.

(4) Do they mount it on the dashboard of their car (as a statue of St. Matthew, or some other) for good luck, or safety during travel? No, they do not. But they MAY leave their Bible in the car after church on Sunday, for the whole week, LOL! More out of neglect, than for "good luck".

(5) Do they put the word of God up on a prominent shelf, in between two blinking electric candles, and glance reverently at it once in a while? No, they do not.

So instead of "idolatry", what is a AV 1611 Bible believer "guilty" of?

(1) He is guilty of receiving it "not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God ." They actually believe the words are God's words.

(2) He is guilty of magnifying the word of God above the name of God....just as God Himself does.... Ps 138:2 "I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name." Why so? Think about it -- the word of God tells us EVERYTHING we know about man's sin, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, salvation that is offered by grace through faith, etc. The word of God is the ONE MATERIAL THING that God has given to man to represent Himself, that we may read it, believe it, study it, and count on it.

(3) He is guilty of believing that God actually DID preserve his words to every generation, and that those words are not "lost", but he actually has all of those preserved words in the Bible in his hand. Psalm 12:6-7 "The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever."

I am a AV 1611 Bible believer. I read it, study it, believe every word of it, and count on it completely. When I am done studying it, I put it in a drawer, or lay a notebook on it -- I am not superstitious, and the words of God are not my "idol", but those words are a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. I thank God for the AV 1611 Bible; the inspired, pure, preserved words of God in my mother tongue.

edit on 7/14/2019 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

...for they know that every word in that Book proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

How are you certain of this?

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Yes. People idolize the words of the Bible. It doesn't matter what they mean. It's like rooting for an NFL football team.

All that matters is kowtowing to authority.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

You wont like my answer. I believe it is, not just because of what I have experienced from it but the AV 1611 says it is the words of God.

Deut 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
Matt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Matt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Luke 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

One may stand up for something but that does not mean it is Idolatry. That is like saying because you root for your kid in a sport is Idolizing your child. Having pride in someone or in something is not Idol worshiping. To say such shows you do not know what idol worshiping is. Paul tells us to be covetous is idolatry.
edit on 7/14/2019 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I give many unliked answers, so I accept them as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Luke 24:44-45

44 And he (Jesus) said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

John 5:46-47

46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me (Jesus).

47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

edit on 14-7-2019 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I guess your not suggesting that god is a physical being with a mouth to talk?

But rather something along the lines of, someone channeling the words of God?

If thats the case how can we be certain it was the creator of all things?
After all the devil is well known for exactly that trick.
if one has such an experience of god and the message is not confirming the one message that is written down, I wouldn't be so quick to judge, it might be a little suspicious!

Sincerely No Clue

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Can the Bible be used as an idol?

Anything can become an idol if it is worshiped.
The laws are written in our hearts, the bible is the tool that was to show who the savior was, without the prophecy no one would have any idea.I can't see making an idol of a book it is treated like a tool by myself and everyone I know.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoClue

But rather something along the lines of, someone channeling the words of God?

If thats the case how can we be certain it was the creator of all things?
After all the devil is well known for exactly that trick.
if one has such an experience of god and the message is not confirming the one message that is written down, I wouldn't be so quick to judge, it might be a little suspicious!

Sincerely No Clue
here we have the answer.....prophecy

1/3 of the book is prophecy and it all comes true in the details even........these prophecies are really more detailed than any others......the mathematicians go hog wild

So my answer to the thread title is naw....
edit on 14-7-2019 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NoClue

John 14:25-26

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Forget the 1611 translation..

Just as an over all point...

“Have Christians turned the Bible into an idol?”

Have they begun to worship the book, more than the person/teachings behind it????

And I think there is a good argument to be made for that with fundamentalist Christians for sure..

If you believe the Bible is the perfect word of god, isn’t that one making it an idol And worshipping it???

Look at the way Christians view a bible burning...

Do they look at it like “oh that is just a book... that isn’t god or anything..”

Nope..

They would consider it the worst of blasphemies...

That seems like Idolatry to me.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Isn’t a prophecy predicting Jesus , that wasn’t recorded until after Jesus’s crucifixion, kinda nonsensical lol??

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

If someone burns a Jersey , is it the equivalency of burning the Bible???

If someone burned bibles regularly, would you be friends with them???

If someone burned bears jerseys regularly, would you befriend them??

Do you believe any sports teams are literally gods representation on earth???

Nope..

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

Isn’t a prophecy predicting Jesus , that wasn’t recorded until after Jesus’s crucifixion, kinda nonsensical lol??

The Old Testament (which prophesied of Jesus, just as He said) was already in existence when Jesus was born on earth.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

A) The verse he quoted was John...John isn’t OT..

B) only Christians see ANY of Christianity in the OT..

ACCORDING TO JEWS..

1) Jews have no son of god.. all Jews are the sins of god.. all Jews refer to god as their “father”.

2) Jews do not have a hell for sure, but I don’t think they have a heaven either..

3) in Judaism faith is basically meaningless... works are what matters.. in Christianity it is reversed.

4) Jews have had many messiahs.. none of which was Jesus

Exc, exc , exc..

Christianity is FUNDAMENTALLY, STRUCTURALLY different from Christianity.. and it shouldn’t be..

Even if someone buys that Jesus came to change the laws, that shouldn’t change the fundamental skeleton of the religion..

But they are structurally different..

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

But you can’t use a quote from John to prove that...

Because John wasn’t written until 120 years after the crucifixion..

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

So was Moses lying when he said that god would never change the laws then???

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

I don't expect you to understand this since you don't appear to me to understand Christianity all that well, but here are a couple of links to help you understand...

gordonconwell.edu...

www.scionofzion.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

So was Moses lying when he said that god would never change the laws then???

No.

Matthew 5:17-18

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join