It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now THAT's a COOL car!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: Bigburgh

I used to have a 74 Nova.
400 small block, had a 650 cfm 4 barrel on it. Cammed out. Loved that thing.
The front end came off the ground when I hammered down on it. Got 8 maybe 10 mpg on it, it was great.

Great motor. We used to run a flat bottom boat with a Kieth Black built 400 sm block with two Holley 650’s, high rise tunnel ram, drag cam and magneto, pumping out over 500hp. We used to smoke big blocks and blowers all the time. It’s hard to beat a built 400 sm block out of the hole.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
That was a good engine. They had lots of pep.

One of my friends had a car with that engine in it, but he blew it up.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Oh man! An Old's Toranado with the original transverse mounted engine and transmission????

Holy cow! Those were GREAT cars!!

MY FIL is a lifelong GM guy (retired) and he says those cars SUCK! He's wrong! They were some of the best cars ever invented! The Olds Toronado and the Cadillac was an awesome car! They weren't drag racers, but they could deal with road conditions no other car at the time could deal with. Front wheel drive was a paradigm change in auto technology.

At the same time Audi and Volkswagen were experimenting with front, and all-wheel drive. It changed how we think of cars. The first American car with FWD was the Chevy Citation (which was a horrible car).

Even so, for many years, and to this day still, high performance cars are rear wheel drive...and if you can put the engine over the top of those wheels even better (think: Ferrari and Lamborghini).

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Oh man, when you'd unconstrain some of these motors in something like a boat, they were fantastic!

Put a Garret jet drive on a small boat and put a blown 350 with a supercharger on it, and it would go 0-60mph in about 3 seconds!! Growing up in Wyoming, on Flaming Gorge National Reservoir, we used to have a lot of hot-rod jet boats! People better be sitting on the bottom of the boat when you launched, because otherwise they'd go over the side.

You could only pull the best of skiers behind one of these boats. They'd either come right up, or they'd lose their grip on the rope! Fire would shoot out of the straight heater pipes when you shut the motor down. The superchargers would scream so loud it was deafening!

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I just had a dumb boat, slow and fishing related. I'd go around and pick up the wreckage.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: mtnshredder

Oh man, when you'd unconstrain some of these motors in something like a boat, they were fantastic!

Put a Garret jet drive on a small boat and put a blown 350 with a supercharger on it, and it would go 0-60mph in about 3 seconds!! Growing up in Wyoming, on Flaming Gorge National Reservoir, we used to have a lot of hot-rod jet boats! People better be sitting on the bottom of the boat when you launched, because otherwise they'd go over the side.

You could only pull the best of skiers behind one of these boats. They'd either come right up, or they'd lose their grip on the rope! Fire would shoot out of the straight heater pipes when you shut the motor down. The superchargers would scream so loud it was deafening!

Yeah, that sounds like a fun boat. The built boats were any thing but beginner ski boats for sure. Hang on tightly because your coming out of the water regardless. LOL

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I thought you were going to say 440 as I was reading. Anyways looked up the 67 and did some reading. Pretty interesting. Tons of HP.

en.wikipedia.org...

I ripped my 340 6 pack out my 71 challenger and put in a 440 bored out to 505 with stage 4 heads (2.87/1.86 titanium nail head valves w/triple springs and antipumpup lifters on a 302/512 cam), dual 850 holley mechanical linkage carbs, elderbrock highrise, California crank, 4 bolt on all bearings, 727b tyranny with b&m reverse valve body and Kevlar blanket, Dana locking rear end, lots of custom equipment like rads, headers and piping, etc.... There's a beast, 1350hp on aviation fuel plus nitro propane. I rarely used the nitrous oxide :-) It was a scary ride, 8.91/168mph in the 1/4 at Cayuga.

You can build anything if you put your mind to it.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   

You tell a lot of stories.

Your talents are wasted here on ats.

You should write a book. If you haven't already that is.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

As teenagers we were always wrenching on something. Pulling a motor from one car and putting it in another. Hell some of my family members still do it. Right now the brother is working on an old Impala. Your car sounds awesome !!
Good time were had by all.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Thanks.

But what would I call this book? ... "Dumb Stuff - Stories from Some Guy"..?

Doesn't sound like Best Seller material to me.
edit on 7/15/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
My dad had a 67 Coronet sedan with a 273 in it.
He was going about 70 mph when he hit it deer with it. He hit it square in the front. It was demolished. I liked that car

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Thanks.

But what would I call this book? ... "Dumb Stuff - Stories from Some Guy"..?

Doesn't sound like Best Seller material to me.

In order to sell, it would need to be 'spiced up' with dead hookers and the like.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

This is awesome! What a great story!

I used to restore muscle car era Mopars, mostly Cudas and Challengers, but I always thought the Coronet, in his relatively subdued way was awesome - maybe mainly owing to seeing it less often as a restored classic.

The mental images of the old girls though, reminds me of my not-as-tame-as-you'd-think old lady relatives, getting by on their own long after the men were gone.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
With a wicked engine, gets 12 gallons per mile ( yes 12 gallons per mile )

Ummm... that wouldn't even get you to the gas station in many case... ?

you have to be joking, but no matter how I read it it doesn't sound like it...

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

That's actually nothing! Seriously!

An NHRA Top Fuel Funny Car will burn 88 gallons per mile (yes, you read that right...88 gallons-per-mile!)

They only run 1/4 mile, but in that 1,320 foot distance they will burn an astounding 22.5 gallons of fuel! (and the fuel costs about $25 per gallon).

People get worried if their car burns oil, right? Well, a Top Fuel dragster will burn a whopping 7 entire GALLONS of 70 weight motor oil in a single 1/4 mile run!!

ETA - When you start building engines like what BigBurgh and Bob Uruncle are talking about the paradigm of 'miles per gallon' quickly changes to 'gallons per mile'. You're talking about engines which can develop thousands of horsepower. An NHRA Top Fuel engine like I noted above will develop nearly 8,000 HP in a full run.

edit on 7/15/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

If you want to see some SERIOUS horsepower in action, go to 2:30 in this video! Notice what happens when they fire that engine for just a brief second two different times. (watch the awning above).

I've been in the pits for NHRA races, and watched John Force's crew rebuild an engine and then start it up like this (all in 30 minutes or less). Loud doesn't even begin to describe what you're watching here. Even more amazing is how these guys can stand right there with all the Nitro fumes. I was back 10 feet or so and it was like being tear gassed just at idle.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

That would actually be a title that would catch peoples attentions and make them curious to read it.

Have you never thought about being a writer?

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

yeah completely flat floor no transmission hump, it handles pretty decent in the winter up here too as long as your not flooring it . it was kind of lame when i went to the local track just for fun they put me up against a honda as i guess they do it by fwd/awd/rwd classes for "drag racing" here . wasn't trying to set any particular time just wanted to see how fast i could get her going. even the original radio works

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Here's an even cooler video which shows how most people react to the sound of 8,000 horsepower when it's unleashed. Most people duck, instinctively, and then move away. It's absolutely TERRIFYING to experience this much horsepower!

Just watch...

Watch the "tough" biker dude in the center duck and move away. He ain't all that brave! He's all 'tough' until they crack the throttle on that 8,000 HP motor, and then he's out of there like a little girl!

When you hear that much horsepower it's almost scary. I went to the Mile High Nationals with my BIL and he was in the USAF at the time, said he wasn't skeered of anything. When those Top Fuel dragsters lit off, he dove for cover (under the bleachers!). It's the loudest thing you've ever heard!! I will literally change your heart beat.

Just watch...at (1:28)

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I love Novas, always wanted a 72, settled for a 74 but still had a blast with it.
I've been beating around in a 2010 Challenger for the last 9 years though. Most reliable car I've ever owned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join