It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Callers on Coast 2 Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
First I'd like to say that I've listened to Coast to Coast AM for around 8 years now, so I know the show quite well.

Anyway, I've noticed a disturbing trend in the last few years regarding the callers (and perhaps the audience) of Coast to Coast. This have taken a rather religious turn on the show, especially in relation to UFOs.

It seems like every other caller starts talking about the Bible and the end times. They believe UFOs and alien visitations to be the work of Fallen Angels or demons. Instead of taking a more scientific approach to the phenomeon, many more callers have started to take a fundamentalist Christian view. These people start ranting about endtimes and fire falling from the sky and Noory sits there and lets them go on, even if it has nothing to do with the topic. Even if the guest is a scientist or researcher who doesn't ascribe to that view. Letting in different viewpoints is one thing, but it seems like majority of calls are irrelevant and, IMO crazy.

Frankly, I'm SICK of it! I've been listening to the program for a long time and I've never seen it like this. There were always a few religious nuts that would call in, but it seems like they're started to flock to the show. I used to like the show because it would talk about non-mainstream topics. Now it's seeming more like a biblical show.

The guy on tonight, Richard Dolan, was clearly frustrated by the repeated calls by people spouting biblical dogma and associating aliens with demons. He kept trying to open their minds and widen the subject and talk about the religious writings of other civilizations and their extraterrestrial impications, but these people just continued to follow their narrow line of reasoning. And ol' Noory just let them keep blabbing.

Really, it's such a small, narrow, and boring worldview (this biblical/endtimes crap). The show is supposed to be about expanding horizons and exploring alternative possiblities. I'd like to blame Noory and his apocalypse fixiation for changing the audience, but I don't know... Maybe it's the people at Clear Channel trying to attract more of those kinds of people. The show wasn't like this when Art was in charge. He had on more scientists and legitimate researchers instead of these bible-thumping, end of the world nuts.

I know the show is screened so they might be putting these people on the air intentionally. Art didn't screen his calls and he had a much more balanced "callership".

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I have been listening to the show for about 7 years or so & yes it has changed a little, but I think you’re just frustrated with a bad show or 2.

First of all Art Bell is what made that show besides his wonderful voice the part that made it great is the fact that he doesn't screen callers, his ability to brush off nutcases without hanging up on them or hurting their feelings, and the fact that he didn't allow too much religious talk - especially quoting directly from the bible.

While George Noory has done a great job and has a great voice he's not Art Bell. He seems to be more tolerant of religious folks quoting out of the bible, he screens his callers like all other shows & he's less tolerant of nutcases and criticizes them bit too harshly and hangs up on them.

What is nice about the way Art deals with nutcases is he lets them have their say & he makes sly remarks that the listeners get without directly putting down the person on the phone. That technique makes for a more mellow or friendly atmosphere for both the callers & listeners and since the show is often about borderline subjects almost anyone who decides to talk about those subjects can potentially sound like a nutcase on the airwaves. Knowing how they will be dealt with while on the air probably also influences whether or not people will call in or listen. Maybe you can say Art is a little more respectful to the nuts then George, but out of respect for George he is getting better all the time.

Even when Art was on 5+ days a week there were subjects that I'm not interested in or guest I don't like, so I would just turn the show off. I find now when Art's not on I'm a little pickier about the guest or subject than I was in the past, but if I'm driving late at night it's usually on regardless. I am a streamlink member so if I don't like a show I just listen to an old show if I'm near a computer.

I'm just thankful that the show still exists after Art's retirement & back problems etc. and I'm grateful they found someone as good as George to keep the show going & that Art is doing weekends as well.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
First of all Art Bell is what made that show besides his wonderful voice the part that made it great is the fact that he doesn't screen callers, his ability to brush off nutcases without hanging up on them or hurting their feelings, and the fact that he didn't allow too much religious talk - especially quoting directly from the bible.

While George Noory has done a great job and has a great voice he's not Art Bell. He seems to be more tolerant of religious folks quoting out of the bible, he screens his callers like all other shows & he's less tolerant of nutcases and criticizes them bit too harshly and hangs up on them.

What you said right there is exactly the point. This change has happened since Noory took over the show. I don't know about the last sentence. I've never heard Noory criticize a blatant nut. Art always seemed a bit more skeptical and brash than Noory is. That's what I liked about him.

Anyway, I really hate the topic drift that's occured since Noory has taken over. The old show under Art used to be wide-reaching but it focused on specific subjects: UFOs, Ghosts, Remote Viewing, Cryptozoology, and just plain weird stuff (Mel's Hole). Now there's at least two topics a week on something Bible related, like the Nephelim (sp?).

If he wants to have religious crap on every once and a while fine, but at least look into different religious mythologies. How about some stuff from the Hindu scriptures or something?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I've listened since 1996. Art Bell never put up with people calling in and ranting about the bible, where George is inclined to do. George is a horse of a different color. I noticed that too. He is nice, but i like Art in command because he doesnt listen to any of that stuff, and his listeners know better than to call in with a quote from the bible. He'd pounce them.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
If you are talking about the interview with Dr. Brooks Agnew you should go back and listen again. He is brilliant. I know him personally and he has a great scientific mind. Also, his book Ark of Millions of Years is fantastic.

He wasn't talking about end times. He was talking about acient mysteries, time travel and the giants (nephillum) who built the pryamids and such. Yes he does mention the Mayan calander, but that is an ancient mystery too.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I've listened since 1996. Art Bell never put up with people calling in and ranting about the bible, where George is inclined to do. George is a horse of a different color. I noticed that too. He is nice, but i like Art in command because he doesnt listen to any of that stuff, and his listeners know better than to call in with a quote from the bible. He'd pounce them.

So in other words you liked Art because he was prejudiced?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Maui,

We're commenting on the CALLERS TO COAST TO COAST.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

Originally posted by dgtempe

So in other words you liked Art because he was prejudiced?
I like Art because he didnt take the callers with the long bible quotes calling in for anything imaginable.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
If you are talking about the interview with Dr. Brooks Agnew you should go back and listen again. He is brilliant. I know him personally and he has a great scientific mind. Also, his book Ark of Millions of Years is fantastic.

No, I wasn't talking about any guest in particular. I don't think I heard that interview. However, the call-in section of the program last night ticked me off. That UFO researcher was audibly upset after receiving several calls about this aliens being demons stuff. Noory just sat there and let those rapturists waste the guest's time while they talked about the bible.

And mwm, I didn't like because he was prejudiced, I liked him because he knows true NONSENSE when he hears it. That's saying alot considering all the weird stuff he hears.

top topics

join