It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former ICE Director Homan Completely Owns AOC At Congressional Hearing

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Telling AOC that they should go to ports of entry is owning her? Interesting.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Scepticaldem

What happens if a citizen is arrested and there is a child with them at the time of arrest?
First, they will ask the person if there is anyone they want them to call to take care of the child.
If there isnt, child protective is called and they come and take custody of the kid as soon as possible.
Comparing what is happening at the border as being the same as what happens when a parent is arrested isnt an accurate comparison since CPS will take custody of the child in a short amount of time. To be a true comparison, they would have to be locking them up in the worst juvenile detention center for a month of so. But that would be punishing the child for their parent''s crime, wouldn't it?? But only the most backward third world nations would do that, not such an advanced, enlightened, light unto the world, country like the US!!
I get why the problem exists, but to me, we have chosen the worst possible solution. A solution that turns us into monsters and blackens our country's soul. I might not fully understand the immigration laws, but I am pretty sure we are breaking some laws that dictate how children are to be treated in govt custody here not to mention our own moral compass. It really doesn't seem like this administration cares about international treaties or laws. And, in case you haven't noticed our federal govt is so dysfunctional at the present time, I think we can forget about them coming to any kind of agreement. It seems like we are gonna be in a position where breaking the law here or there is unavoidable. So, catch and release, load them all up on a bus and take them back from were they came, close the border, halt all immigration, legal or illegal... they are all better solutions than what we seem to be doing now.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

No thanks, your party sucks. Them dems do also. Cant wait for the moderates of each party to realize they are more aligned with each other than they are with the wackos in there own party and the parties break down.
Till then, I don't know, Mickey mouse still has his magic wand vote for him, he will fix everything with a few magic words and a wave of his wand. Or, at least if he ever were to win the election the parties would probably feel so humiliated maybe they'd get their act together.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's the dems fault, it's the dems fault!!
Ya, that helped so much. I feel so much better now!!
Or wait a minute, nope, didn't work, moral compass just exploded in my hands again.
If you are gonna assign blame you need to go back in history to find and find out why these countries are falling apart to begin with. My guess would be that American big business, military, banks, and a lot of shady dealings in the past share in the blame. Not to mention all of those decades where neither party really wanted to do anything about the illegal immigrants because the business sector found them so advantageous to their profit line.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

This coming from someone who will be against gun registration till the day he dies?
It's okay to traumatize, neglect, abuse 1000 kids to save one or two from the traffickers, but no, it's not okay to require me to register my guns or ban those that can put out 50-100 bullets in a minute inside a school and kill a bunch of kids.
Got it!!

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Keep fighting the good fight, even if it feels like you're showing card tricks to a dog.

These people aren't even aware of how horrible they have become.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ManufacturedDissent

But what happened to all those out there that are being deprived of adoptable kids out there that the pro-life crowd claim there is?
Funny how I have often mentioned all the adoptable kids that are in the foster care system suggesting that they go visit their state's website and glance through the pages upon pages of kids waiting for someone to come make them a part of their family. Heck in my state, its practically free and comes with quite a few perks that adoption doesn't offer them. But nope, they will travel halfway around the world before they will take in one of our own.
All the while working to keep abortion from being an option, even if it means child rape victims having to go through pregnancy and birth.
I am perfectly aware that our system cant handle this many kids, I've been arguing that it wouldn't be able to handle the demand that would be put on it if we banned abortion.
But, I also know that govt lawyers have argued with judges that they shouldn't have to go through the trouble of reuniting these kids with their families. That they were so eager to tear them apart, that they neglected to ensure their record keeping was adequate to enable to reunite them. They wanted to drop that mess onto the laps of the non-profits while fighting them every step of the way when it came to sharing what records they had. And, they've argued in court over weather having soap, toothbrushes, a warm blanket, and room to lay down, even on the cement floor was necessary to have a safe and secure facility.
Your a foster parent, have you ever seen it heard of a one or two year old showing up in family court with no one to speak for them or represent them? It's been happening in the immigration court system. Kids climbing around on the tables, wetting themselves in the chairs. It's kind of makes a mockery out of any sense of justice.

So, if you are so concerned about the foster care system being so overburdened, just how can you support these policies that are literally creating orphans that will probably end up in the system unnecessarily for their entire lives and increasing the caseload and time to process them through the legal system by making most of the kids unaccompanied minors even when they are accompanied by a parent or other close family member.
And. I don't buy the idea that the traffickers are snatching up toddlers and babies and have a supply of lactating mothers to breastfeed the babies. Toddlers and babies would be too much of a pain on the trip and pretty much useless to use as sex slaves.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Not sure, but just like because of my age and health, I wouldn't go running to the nearest social service office to sign up to care for a foster kid that I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to care for properly like a previous poster suggested, I don't think our govt should be taking custody of more kids than they can care for properly.
Any option available seems to be better than that one.
Pick them up and load them immediately onto a bus heading south back over the border if you like.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

This coming from someone who will be against gun registration till the day he dies?
It's okay to traumatize, neglect, abuse 1000 kids to save one or two from the traffickers, but no, it's not okay to require me to register my guns or ban those that can put out 50-100 bullets in a minute inside a school and kill a bunch of kids.
Got it!!

No, you don't "got it". Not even close.

What you "got" is a bad case of feelings overriding logic. In the post above this one, you admit you don't understand the laws... obvious since you have already advocated breaking several of them... but it goes even deeper than that. You don't understand reality.

I have patiently tried to explain what is really going on, but you seem to have this idea that everyone who crosses the border illegally is innocent as the pure driven snow and only wanting their "human rights." That's simply not reality. No one has a right to come into America at will except citizens. Period. Doing so is against the law. I find it amazing that the very people who are openly and vociferously demanding that President Trump break the law are the very people who will then turn around and call him a law breaker. You might as well complain about bank robbers not robbing the banks you don't like!

Worse, you would apparently prefer children being killed, horribly, children being physically abused, horribly, children having their very lives stripped from them, horribly, to having them go through a little discomfort to make sure they're safe. Do you realize that? You just argued in favor of child trafficking!

I suppose that's easy when it's out of sight and out of mind... but it's not out of sight or out of mind for the children experiencing it... only for you.

Life doesn't work like that, sorry. The guy that brings a child he kidnapped from a poor family in Honduras isn't hurting you, right? Sure, he's not... until the day he happens to see you walking out of a store and decides you look pretty good. Then, when he has dragged you kicking and screaming into a secluded area, he won't be out of sight or out of mind any more. When your child is abducted and is nowhere to be found, their abductor is no longer out of sight and out of mind. That's why we have laws: to protect people like you and me. They may not be perfect, but they're a long sight better than ignoring them.

You really need to think about what I have said. It's not just about you, dawnstar. It's about everyone you know. No one is truly safe when bad people walk the streets. That's why we lock them away.

As for the guns, do you really think I am going to shoot up a school? That's what you insinuate. Typical. When logic and reason fail and everything you try to say turns out wrong, just demonize your opponent. CNN has taught you well.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JoeGee

The majority of people that would apply for asylum would be denied based on the fact they're only coming for economic asylum, not political asylum. 

During the budget year for 2009, there were 35,811 asylum claims, and 8,384 were granted. During 2018 budget year, there were 162,060 claims filed, and 13,168 were granted.

And there are over 800K more asylum cases in the Courts......but there's no crisis.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That's exactly right. They coax these poor people into coming here illegally and promise them free everything, then when we stop the flooding, they call us racist and make up lies. Democrats can't control anything anymore, not even their own kids (like the Cortez) as they run all over the older democrats.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

It's all just a political ploy. I guarantee you there's not a single democrat out there who cares one bit about illegals at the border. The crocodile tears and lack of action says it all.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

Keep fighting the good fight, even if it feels like you're showing card tricks to a dog.

These people aren't even aware of how horrible they have become.

Yeah, abiding by and upholding the law is horrible. Better check your mirror.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
well well well
why didn't they do this sooner?
www.foxnews.com...

The Trump administration on Monday announced a sweeping new policy tightening restrictions for asylum seekers, in a move that could drastically reduce the number of Central American migrants eligible to enter the United States in this way. The new rule, published in the Federal Register, would require most migrants entering through America’s southern border to first seek asylum in one of the countries they traversed – whether in Mexico, in Central America, or elsewhere on their journey. In most cases, only if that application is denied would they then be able to seek asylum in the United States.

"Ultimately, today's action will reduce the overwhelming burdens on our domestic system caused by asylum-seekers failing to seek urgent protection in the first available country, economic migrants lacking a legitimate fear of persecution, and the transnational criminal organizations, traffickers, and smugglers exploiting our system for profits,” Homeland Security Acting Secretary Kevin McAleenan said in a statement, describing the "targeted changes" as critical.

Simple solution to a complex problem.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Probably because Trump does have sympathy for their plight. I think most conservatives do. It's just that we can't help anyone when we're overrun like we are.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

You are probably just as unlikely to be shooting up a school as traffickers are to be swiping babies, transporting them through Mexico, and to top it off, have on hand lactating women to pretend to be mommy and breastfeed them!!
We do have laws that dictate the quality of care out govt is to provide minors In their care also, including illegal immigrants, so, it seems we are already breaking the laws according to the reports I've been reading. So, if we have to break laws anyways, why not go for the gold and immediately ship them back to the countries they came from and ignore the laws regarding asylem??
No, I am reacting based on emotions. There's a but of logic behind what I am saying.
We seem to be either unable or unwilling to provide adequate care for these people when they are in out custody. I don't really care which it is, or who is to blame for the mess. And when we have people going around screaming at our own citizens (sometimes native Americans who have more right to be here than most of us) to go back to their own country, I really don't think we are doing them much of a favor by taking them in. I think think economically speaking, times are gonna just keep getting harder and the need for scapegoats will just increase more and more and it's quite possible that some of those places closer to their home like Brazil just might offer better possibilities to them in the long run. I might be wrong on this buts that is a "feeling" that I have.
And by the way, children as young as some of these kids are aren't "bad" and they didn't knowingly commit any crime. Nor did they have the power to avoid being brought here. Locking them and keeping them in the conditions that are being described for weeks, to months, is the worst possible option there is! Just giving then transport back to their country would not only be more humane but also probably cheaper. And, would probably be reduce the number making the journey here dwindle to nothing.

But, of course, that is too logical for the polywogs in Washington to consider and less financially rewarding for some of their buddies who are sharing the profits in the private owned detention centers that are housing them. So, ya, guess its better to treat kids worse than most would treat their dog.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

And the hangup is gonna be that the policy is centered just around one group of people, those coming across our southern border. If they would invoke the policy across the board, and include those coming into the country through the Canadian border, and being shipped into our country in shipping containers and all the other ways they manage to come, it would having a better chance of holding up to the court challenges that we know are gonna happen.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

which group is that?
I didn't notice that in the article.
Just "asylum seekers".

As this is an executive order and the dhs is under the executive branch, I don't think the courts can do anything more than a temporary delay. Those seeking asylum should do so in the first available country imo. This should have been done long long ago.

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

According to what I heard, it seems that it is just those crossing the southern border. Am I wrong on that?
Well I'm sorry but they are crossing the Canadian border also. They are being shipped into our seaports. it isnt just the southern border that has a problem with drugs, dangerous people, human trafficking, mingled in with asylum seekers and refugees. If it's such a great policy, (which I really don't have a problem with it just think the courts are going to), why restrict it to just the southern border?

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I didn't see that it was.
The article pointed out the agreement we have with canada, which has nothing to do with restricting asylum seekers who cross other nations to get here.
nice try tho
If you really need asylum I doubt you would shop for nations. I bet you would be happy in the first to offer such, which mexico has to these people repeatedly.
Migration is different than asylum.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join