It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Biden says he respects no borders during Foreign Policy speech

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

She actually has a lot of extremist positions.

Tulsi = huge tax increase, new green deal, freebies for everyone, anti gun.

She sounds great, but she is just not vitriolic, her actual positions are pretty extreme left. These are some of her positions. Basically freebies for everyone, the new green deal, and guns are bad.

Climate change: Mandate an end to the use of fossil fuels for electricity by 2050. Ban fracking.
The plan would require electric utilities to use 80 percent renewable resources by 2027 and 100 percent by 2035. In addition, it would set similar goals for car emissions, mandating zero emissions by 2050.

Education: Tuition-free community college for all and tuition-free public university for most families.
Gabbard backs Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ proposal to cut or eliminate higher education tuition for most Americans. She would make community college tuition-free for all Americans, and four-year public colleges tuition-free for students whose families make $125,000 or less per year.

Guns: Ban assault weapons and require universal background checks.
In Congress, Gabbard has co-sponsored bills that would ban assault weapons

Health care: Create “Medicare for All,” a universal, government-sponsored health care system.
would pay for health care by increasing taxes

Social Issues: Protect abortion rights. Ban discrimination based on sexual preference, identity.
She voted against a proposed ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy. In both of these areas, Gabbard has changed her position since she entered politics at age 21. She was initially anti-abortion, or opposed to increased abortion access.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

She refused to sign on to the green new deal.

Something needs to be done about colleges ripping off people. As far as the abortion thing not signing on to an all-out ban that didn't allow for certain cases well lets no go into that.

The assault weapons ban is the only position that keeps me from voting for her. That is the hill I will die on.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

She does not want AOC's new green deal, she has her own. “OFF Fuels for a Better Future Act”. Her bill has the US transition to 100% renewable energy to generate electricity by 2035.

I have 2 college degrees. Degree 1 I had zero debt. Degree 2 my debt was paid off within 1 year. Colleges do not rip people off, people pay to go to expensive schools to get degrees where they will not make much money. There is no legislation that can solve that. Don't go to another state and rack up $300k in debt to be a teacher.
edit on 12-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Honestly, some of those are not horrible ideas. Why should healthcare and Higher education cost an arm and a leg and put people in massive debt? Especially if we can find a decent way to fund it.

Trump as some points, has talked about a version of Medicare for all.

Eventually, renewable sources of energy or nuclear fusion is preferable to continued use of fossil fuels. It's just the timeline and cost of the changes and if government should mandate those changes.

Some things are more populist than Democratic or Republican when it comes to the average American. You won't see many Americans cry about not having to fork over big sums of money to the College and Medical Industrial Complex. They are both basket cases.

She has flaws but compared to the rest of the field, she is sane.
edit on 12-7-2019 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Because Education does not cost an arm and a leg. People make bad decisions. I got 2 degrees for a total of 50k. Why should my tax dollars go to pay for someone who wants to spend $400k to live out of state and waste their money?

In the UK they spend about $4k per person. I spend about $1.5k for health, dental, and eye.

For the record I am a proponent of single payer healthcare done right. Gabbi will give it to illegals and the price would be enormous. Democrats can't be trusted with healthcare it would be a horrible debacle, even though I hope someday sanity returns to the US and it can be implemented.
edit on 12-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Because Education does not cost an arm and a leg. People make bad decisions. I got 2 degrees for a total of 50k. Why should my tax dollars go to pay for someone who wants to spend $400k to live out of state and waste their money?

Obviously the Devil is in the details. There are tons of details that would need to be ironed out.

The US average for Student Debt is over $37,000. You are more the exception then the typical. The whole system in Medicine and Higher Education is bloated and for decades has increased more than just inflation. That needs to cease.

I'd rather the people graduating spend that $382 a month in loan repayment for the next 10 years in other sectors of the economy that would benefit from that influx of money.

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Something needs to be done about colleges ripping off people.

Free college is not gonna stop that. If anything that will make the problem worse. Part of the problem of skyrocketing college costs is the government-backed student loans. When an industry knows many of their customers are getting money from the government to pay for their product, there's no incentive to control costs. Everything the government gets their hands in, the cost skyrockets. What do all these things in red have in common? Big government programs to subsidize them. More government subsidies is not the answer.

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Except that $382/month is still going to get paid, only I will be paying for their mistakes not them. It will actually increase as more people enroll since it is now free.

There is nothing exceptional about my circumstances, anyone and everyone can do what I did.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Except that $382/month is still going to get paid, only I will be paying for their mistakes not them. It will actually increase as more people enroll since it is now free.

There is nothing exceptional about my circumstances, anyone and everyone can do what I did.

If your situation was the norm than the avg student debt wouldn't be where it currently is.

Depends on the mechanism funding it. You can structure it a ton of ways. Not all have to hit the individual taxpayer and yes, I get the argument that others will just pass the cost down to consumers. It's been done elsewhere, it could be done here. Obviously, we would need to flesh out the proposal, but a better trained and educated population isn't a bad thing.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

It COULD be the norm. It only isn't because people want to go to college and leave home and go $300k in debt to do it. Why should I pay their $300k bill because they want to waste money?

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Just open up Medicare to those who can't get, or don't want, private insurance. And then kill ObamaCare. Most Americans will jump at that solution.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Whenever these so called democrats speak publicly and say these things, they are actually purposefully telling their own constituents that they are thoughtless mental vegetables and barely even worth a vote, but these democrat politicians still need them in the worst way.

"WE, (democrat politicians) have no respect whatsoever for the people that we need votes from. We are far above you all. We are going to fleece you for your votes, and then your money, and then we will strip away all of your rights, because you don't deserve any rights." We will make you into victims even more than we already have, and falsely tell you that we can deliver you from your victim-hood, but we will not actually ever help you escape the chains we have bound you in because we think you are all worthless just like we tell you you are daily, and you will believe it in the future just like you believe it now."
[EDITED ABOVE FOR TRUTH]

Slow Joe watched his pal Obama do this as a devilish art form for 8 long years, and now he would like to taste that evil dish himself and serve it cold upon the American people.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

It COULD be the norm. It only isn't because people want to go to college and leave home and go $300k in debt to do it. Why should I pay their $300k bill because they want to waste money?

Not everyone runs ups a 300k debt. You are not helping your argument. You pay for all the Pell grants now given out.

A total of $28.2 billion in Pell Grants were awarded to 7.6 million college students in the 2015-2016 academic year. Those numbers are down from the record 9.3 million students who received $39.1 billion in Pell Grants in 2010-2011, 

There is a way to afford this if we really try.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join