It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China to Raise Defense Budget, Eyes Taiwan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Military budget takes up about 4% of entire economy, probably less.
I think it's time to make this figure about 7% and give some massive help to Taiwan in building up its forces. Unfortunately, 2005/06 budgets I've seen only include minor increase in US mil. budget, of which majority goes to Iraq and Afghanistan efforts.
This doesn't look good.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yeah because the US spends so little on it's military compared to exeryone else
I don't think they would go to war over Taiwan and if they do it will be a huge mistake on their part. However if the US gets even more bogged down in the mid east by going to war with Iran or Syria i could see them trying to take advantage of the situation. Provided the hypothetical Syrain/Iran war drags on for a while and uses up a lot more resources than are currently deployed to the mid east.

www.globalissues.org...

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Trent]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
So on one side you toe the liberal party line and throw in the obligatory knee-jerk "blame Bush for all evil in the world" line.

While next admitting that their increase is less than usual under our current Administration, while describing how a decade ago their increase in military spending (even while Billy gives them favored nation status) was much much higher.

But, hey, it's China. It's okay for them to have decades of buildup for offensive capability. Just like it's okay for every other nation to do so..except the US. We're special, we're eeeevil.

On a real note, there was a discussion and essay in one of the defense publications, I forget the publication, called "Can the Dragon Swim?" Basically, showing why China cannot take Taiwan through force of arms, and will have to resort to terror campaigns, or infiltration, or other means. And it may point to where China will be spending it's money-on amphibious and airborne troop delivery capability. Remember, China doesn't want to destroy Taiwan, they want to control it, and keep it prosperous so they can reap the benefits to support the long term communist party plans elsewhere. Missiles and subs can maybe starve the people out, but then who will run the successful businesses? What good is a million man infantry if you can't get them on the shore? And if Taiwan sees a million men with rifles suddenly having a beach party, as the assault is staged, or a large fleet coming across the water loaded to the gunwales with soldiers, do you think they will not respond with the largest explosives they can launch? Remember, China has nothing that Taiwan wouldn't destroy to save it's sovereignity.

It also helps to remember that China doesn't really need Taiwan, this is nothing more than a matter of pride between one group of old men wishing to control another. China also has it's own stability problems internally right now. Pulling troops away from internal pacification means there may not be a single Chinese nation to lay claim to Taiwan anyways. As most of my former Chinese , Vietnamese and Korean co-workers believe, very soon China will mcuh more resemble the fragmented, constantly warring provinces it did before world war II.

Originally posted by drfunk
The security buildup is little different to what we saw at the RNC, DNC and at Bush's inauguration : the use of state police forces to protect greedy politicians that are no better than criminals and corporate lackeys in the name of national security. The funny thing is China's Free Speech Zones are on Taiwan!

The only reason China is ratcheting up the sabre rattling is because the US and Japan are sabre rattling along with Taiwan after decades of a one china policy, very dangerous and foolish politics.

The US can't ensure Taiwan's security forever, the odds are against them. Taiwan is an internal matter and is considered by the beijing government their issue only nobody elses.

This is actually a small increase compared with previous years, for over a decade the Chinese defence budget has usually always increased by double digits. This is nothing new. As for the defence department using it to increase wages, I wouldn't be surprised if they do increase them but not all the increase will be going to that.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
So on one side you toe the liberal party line and throw in the obligatory knee-jerk "blame Bush for all evil in the world" line.

While next admitting that their increase is less than usual under our current Administration, while describing how a decade ago their increase in military spending (even while Billy gives them favored nation status) was much much higher.

But, hey, it's China. It's okay for them to have decades of buildup for offensive capability. Just like it's okay for every other nation to do so..except the US. We're special, we're eeeevil.

Dude!

It's not only increases that matter. Do you know where China's budget was 10 years ago??

The US still spends HALF THE WORLD's total military spending.

It also helps to remember that China doesn't really need Taiwan, this is nothing more than a matter of pride between one group of old men wishing to control another. China also has it's own stability problems internally right now. Pulling troops away from internal pacification means there may not be a single Chinese nation to lay claim to Taiwan anyways. As most of my former Chinese , Vietnamese and Korean co-workers believe, very soon China will mcuh more resemble the fragmented, constantly warring provinces it did before world war II.

Read some Chinese history and understand the relationship between China-Taiwan before responding.

I swear some of the people posting on China-Taiwan issues don't know anything about China or Taiwan.

Do you know why they was Warlordism before WW2, it was because they was a TRANSITION in government. It's called anarchy. If you really find that concept hard, then go play some Civilization.

Taiwan to China is just as strategically important as Cuba is to the US. It serves as a possible launching pad for an US attack. (And yes, i know the US already has forces in Guam, Japan, SK, blah blah)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join