It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation leak from a different Russian nuclear submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The radiation leak found this week came from a pipe near the reactor. It was 800Bq (becquerels) per litre, while the normal level in the Norwegian Sea is about 0.001Bq.

However, some other water samples from the wreck did not show elevated levels.

Norway has found a radiation level 800,000 times higher than normal at the wreck of a Russian navy submarine.

Most who read this site know of the recent Russian nuclear submarine that caught fire and made it back to land. There was another Russian nuclear submarine fire that didn't turn out so well. It has been leaking radiation for over a decade. It was called the Komsomolets or K-278 in Russia.

It went down in the Norwegian Sea in 1989. Twenty-seven sailors survived and 42 sailors perished in the incident. Some sailors died of toxic fumes others from hypothermia in the Arctic water. The Soviet nuclear submarine is in deep waters at 5,512ft down. When it went down it had two nuclear torpedoes with plutonium warheads. The sub could launch cruise missiles and had six torpedo tubes.

edit on 11-7-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
What I read it was within a vent hole but a meter away it was fine. Still not going to get better.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

It sounds like It could of been a lot worst. What I find interesting is the plutonium warheads. Do you think they are still down there? I bet the USSR or US recovered them.

new topics

join