It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dreaded Question On All Of Our Minds: Russia, After Putin?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I hadn't really considered this. I hadn't really thought about this in depth. And I bet most of you folks sure ain't either. But, here goes, the dreaded question that we must all begin to consider:

What becomes of Mother Russia after Putin?

Over the past couple of decades or so, Medvedev and Putin have taken the roles of President and Prime Minister in turn ("is it your turn this round?").

But, what if Putin was to "go"? Now, we all know he won't go willingly and certainly no nation outside Mother Russia would dare introduce its version of "democracy" to Mother Russia. But what if Putin were to, I don't know, die or be "indisposed"?

What becomes of Mother Russia?

P.S. I must admit that I myself have not (nor ever) planned for the world after Putin. No contingencies, no thoughts, no plans, no hypotheticals. Unprepared, like the world's Governments would be if, for example, some sentient extraterrestrial species grandly revealed its existence to mankind. Oh boy.

edit on 11-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII
Why is the question dreaded?

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

That's the problem with Autocratic Leaders.......there is always a tremendous void left by their passing.

Russia will enter a phase of MRGA and look more inward than expansionist would be my best guess. The first leader after Putin will probably be pretty horrible, it takes awhile to get quality politicians after someone of Putin's persuasion is gone. All real rivals have been castrated or killed.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

That's the problem with Autocratic Leaders.......there is always a tremendous void left by their passing.

Russia will enter a phase of MRGA and look more inward than expansionist would be my best guess. The first leader after Putin will probably be pretty horrible, it takes awhile to get quality politicians after someone of Putin's persuasion is gone. All real rivals have been castrated or killed.

I see what you're saying. I just hope Mother Russia does not crumble and implode and a gigantic power vacuum ensues...

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

As long its not one of those war hungry generals that get leadership..

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Why is the question dreaded?

Because - and I dare say it - in some cases, autocracy has been the least worst case in *some* regions. Russia is on the doorstep of Lady Europa, so Europeans should obviously be concerned. Should Putin's hypothetical demise actually occur, there are fears a large power vacuum could ensue and Mother Russia could quickly implode and implode...

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

This is one of the many, many fears, yes.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

There will probably be some fragmenting of the Russian Bloc. We shouldn't encourage that, IMO. The nation's South of Russia will be in a little more turmoil probably. Who knows what happens in Ukraine though. That could get ugly as East and West collide.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a civil war of some kind.

The question is if it will be a silent war among the autocrats or a true, full blown, war with the military involved.

Unfortunately for Russia, Putin hasn't really prepared them for life without him. A common issue one finds with dictators.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Are they really war hungry? Yeah, they got to play in Syria and test out some weapons. The only time quasi Russian forces faced quasi US forces in Syria, it was a rout by the US.
Their last real "war" turned out pretty badly for them and in hindsight, for the rest of the world as well.

Cooler heads need to prevail in all sides once Putin is gone.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I'm not Going Anywhere

Just needs a rules change. Sounds like it's baked into the plan.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The question is if it will be a silent war among the autocrats or a true, full blown, war with the military involved.

Unfortunately for Russia, Putin hasn't really prepared them for life without him. A common issue one finds with dictators.

Good point.

I think Dear Leader Putin needs to seriously prepare Mother Russia and her people for life after he has gone. Even if he lives another twenty years or so, plans need to be put in place (and a strong sense of unity reinforced and reinforced again).

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Good point.

I think Dear Leader Putin needs to seriously prepare Mother Russia and her people for life after he has gone. Even if he lives another twenty years or so, plans need to be put in place (and a strong sense of unity reinforced and reinforced again).

Doesn't work that way......Autocrats seldom tolerate competent or qualified successors while they are in power. Tends to be a career ender for the Autocrat if they don't take out the potential threat.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

After Putin?

Then it'll be someone else's name on the bottom of the checks I receive.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
What about Angela Merkel?
People like to claim Putin is despotic and autocratic, however Merkel has been in power nearly as long. Putin has been in his position in 2 stints for a total of 16 years as of 2020 with a 4 year break in the middle.

However Merkel has been in power since 2005, and as of 2020 will be in power for 15 years. However she has been in charge of the CDU since 2000 and the CDU/CSU group in the Bundestag since 2002. Isn't that a bit autocratic as well?

Yet other countries point to Putin as a boogie man, while Merkel generally gets a pass, and with Merkel's health problems as of late, that is a bigger threat. Especially so when the media is reporting that it isn't a problem and everything is fine.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

After Putin?

Then it'll be someone else's name on the bottom of the checks I receive.

. You need to get with the times and get paid by them in Crypto-Currency. It's how I do it.

Ask for Oleg, he will hook you up.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

I'm sure a power vaccum in Germany won't amount to much. When has that ever been a problem?

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Can we send them our Democrats? They want a communist country let's give them to russia.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420

Can we send them our Democrats? They want a communist country let's give them to russia.

The Russian Federation is hardly communist, even less so now in 2019.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
What about Angela Merkel?
People like to claim Putin is despotic and autocratic, however Merkel has been in power nearly as long. Putin has been in his position in 2 stints for a total of 16 years as of 2020 with a 4 year break in the middle.

However Merkel has been in power since 2005, and as of 2020 will be in power for 15 years. However she has been in charge of the CDU since 2000 and the CDU/CSU group in the Bundestag since 2002. Isn't that a bit autocratic as well?

Yet other countries point to Putin as a boogie man, while Merkel generally gets a pass, and with Merkel's health problems as of late, that is a bigger threat. Especially so when the media is reporting that it isn't a problem and everything is fine.

The difference being that Russia hasn't got 50,000 United States troops occupying its lands.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join