It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it saves one turtle

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What more can be said, thank you for that

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Balans
a reply to: Bluntone22

Estimates say we use about 500 million plastic straws a day.
Plastic straws are among the top 10 items found during beach cleanups.
I don't understand why you would think it a bad idea to reduce their impact on our oceans and beaches?
Sure they'll only make a dent, but it's a start at the least.

www.waste360.com...
www.nationalgeographic.com...

I remember that 500 million straw stat...
Some kid made it up for his science project.

www.usatoday.com...

And I never said we shouldn't try to keep our oceans clean.
Maybe if the world was serious about changing things they would include plastic pollution protocols in treaties like the Paris accord.
But no,, just carbon.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Well, that and most states started giving people 5 cents each for them.

Works well here in South Australia . 10 cents a can or plastic bottle and it can soon add up . Around the same time adds were run on the media and SA really started to clean itself up . Skip to about 3.33 for the add i believe really got everyone to pull their head in .

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Made up or not, like it's said in the article it illustrates a point. Wether it be 200 million or 700 million, it's still a huge amount judging by the beach cleanup statistics.

I'm with you about the world not being serious about it though.

As an example over here we have these so-called "emmission-free zones" in some of our big cities since a couple of years. Diesel cars and older cars wich don't meet the proper European Norm for harmfull emissions are forbidden to drive into these zones. But there's an exception to the rule, you can pay for a day and still drive in there. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

I'm very sceptical about these things too, but lowering any amount of plastics (straws do make up quite a chunk in fish-deaths and general pollution) should be imho considered a win in the face of big business and keeping industry jobs going.

Or am I being too positive about this?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   
What a dumb way to die...since everyone has given their opinions on the plastic straw situation I want to add something from the title of the thread and saving Sea Turtles..

In Costa Rica the turtles come ashore and lay their eggs. Then the locals dig up the eggs and put them in what appears to be 50 pond sacks for resale. You will find it hard to believe so many eggs are collected; I find it hard to believe enough turtles survive to keep using this nesting sight. What a weird world of priorities we live in...youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Balans

If you examine actual volumes of microplastics in the ocean (not on beaches, near day to day human refuse) you would see that the majority of plastics in the ocean derive from the fishing (and other) industry.

The issue with straws is, to me, more about driving an awareness. But i don't drink from straws, except this one cup i have with a reusable straw from the last hospital stay. I like that cup, and drink only water from it so the straw stays clean.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join