It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it saves one turtle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The ban on plastic drinking straws may have claimed its first human life.

"Metal drinking straw fatally impales woman through her eye after fall"

"BOURNEMOUTH, England – A retired jockey died when she fell onto an eco-friendly metal drinking straw which impaled her eye, an inquest heard."

"Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, who was known as "Lena," suffered brain injuries in the accident at her home in Broadstone, England."

www.usatoday.com...

Well I guess it was bound to happen eventually.
Probably not the last time.

I'm all for keeping our oceans as clean as possible but the drinking straw ban is a joke.
I've been in the ocean multiple times and have seen plenty of plastic and cigarette butts but I cant recall seeing a straw.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A metal straw is dumb. I've been to a few places now that have paper straws and they work just fine without the brain damage.

But it is funny how things get prioritized. Concerned citizens will ban plastic drinking straws to "help protect the environment," but somehow forget to notice the even larger plastic cover on top of the cup. They got rid of all those cheap, flimsy plastic bags at the grocery store and now we have these thick ones that you pay for, but that also are so thick that they'll take 10 times as long to deteriorate, if ever. People want their cars to get good gas mileage, but not to reduce emissions, but rather because it allows them to buy a much bigger SUV, ultimately saving nothing.

Humans. We're a funny bunch. We drink Diet Coke so we can have that extra order of onion rings.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

A metal straw is dumb.

Quoted for truth.

I'm all for keeping our oceans as clean as possible but the drinking straw ban is a joke.

Straws don't have to be plastic to be non lethal.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

We went from plastic straws wrapped in paper to paper straws. . . wrapped in plastic.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If you listen to the clown that is New York City's Mayor it has nothing to do with the "environment". It is a strike against "big oil".

I'm old enough to remember when soda bottles were glass and the numbers of them along the roads. In my opinion littering is more common now than then. So why isn't the side of our roads waist deep in plastic bottles and other items?

Because plastic degrades in UV light.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Oh the irony!

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I feel terrible but I actually lold when I read the article headline.

We live in interesting times is all I can say

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
please spare us the faux autrage over this incident - crap happens - i impaled myself on a kebab skewer [ age 9 ] - this incident is only news because its a new fangled " metal straw " - any other injury vector would not have been reported behond the local paper - get over it

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

So who's outraged?
This is more about how a drinking straw ban is completely useless.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
please spare us the faux autrage over this incident - crap happens - i impaled myself on a kebab skewer [ age 9 ] - this incident is only news because its a new fangled " metal straw " - any other injury vector would not have been reported behond the local paper - get over it

I hate to say it but I think it’s thread worthy because it’s amusing and ironic rather than tragic and outrageous.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
please spare us the faux autrage over this incident [...]

This is real outrage!! Look, two exclamation points!!

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The straws get broken down into smaller and smaller pieces. You end with micro-plastics. So yeah, you don't "see a straw" but all those little pellets once were things like water bottles and straws.

And didn't anyone tell the old lady not to run with scissors? A metal straw is like those! Besides, what is the first thing the dentist tells you? "Don't put anything metal in your mouth." Then they get out a set of metal scrapers and go over you like your teeth were William Wallace!! (lol) So why would you buy metal straws? Or chopsticks even?

People have the right to be stupid. Or filthy and not pick up their plastic garbage. And I have the right to b!tch them out for being both! God bless America!! (/sarcasm, which is meant to have sticky truths here and there)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Has nothing to do with humans. We don't need straws, and caveat emptor should absolutely be brought back into fashion.

Today we had a local police officer stopped in the road as i drove into my neighborhood. He was getting a turtle across the road so it would get injured on its travel. As someone who respects and value life, I had to take a moment to let the officer know I appreciated his effort. Yesterday, a city maintenance worker was pulled over picking up 2 or 3 random pieces of garbage from the side of the road. So maybe there is a culture of "appropriate action" in the community.

Point being: her choosing to use a straw carelessly is completely on her. The turtle doesn't get to make any choices.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Behold!
Proper Straw Supplies
and, because Anchorage jumped on the idiotic bag ban bandwagon, I also grabbed some of these several months ago...
Plastic Bags

Paper straws are the worst. Sticking to your lip, becoming mushy, no thanks. Plastic is good enough for me and lookie, lookie, I bring my own.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Uh huh...
There is multiple millions of tons of plastic in our oceans and the idea that banning straws will make a dent in that problem is ridiculous.

I've seen pictures of Chinese and Indian rivers.
That's a much better place to start.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I'm old enough to remember when soda bottles were glass and the numbers of them along the roads. In my opinion littering is more common now than then. So why isn't the side of our roads waist deep in plastic bottles and other items?

Well, that and most states started giving people 5 cents each for them. Sometimes the best way to solve a problem sometimes is to incentivize the solution.

I remember seeing cans. Shiny beer cans everywhere. But they were tin, not aluminum, and they've pretty much all gone now. Back into the soil.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

But what about those people who self congratulate themselves for feel good legislation on banning plastic straws? We can't have bunch of legislators feeling bad about themselves! In today's day and age, there has got to be a way to not hurt legislator's feelings and do something about the plastic problem.

Next thing you know, they will be banning metal straws to feel good!!

(Really) We really need a good thing to do with plastic garbage. And that is just the big stuff. I like the idea of turning it into jet fuel (possibly making a pilot plant) or hydrogen (been done in a lab and they are going to see if it scales up). Just burning it doesn't seem like it solves the problem and probably makes even more! And the last... straw (groan!), will be to close the plastic loop so it can be converted back into feedstock for future plastic uses (this is being worked on in the lab right now). Pilot plant for plastic recycling is coming online in England. And the Ocean Cleanup crew has deployed System 001-B. So there is movement.

This problem was not created over night. One solution is not going to fix anything. And it is going to take years to solve it. One thing not many mention is education like for the Asian cultures who value paper and treat plastic like we would paper and toss it in the sea. See? Multipronged approach but boils down to reduce, return, reuse, recycle. And education. Let them have their straw bans!

Rootbeer with real grass/reed straw!

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Rootbeer with real grass/reed straw!

Or a Twizzler with the ends bitten off, like Sheldon Cooper.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

These evil a-holes in charge don't care about humans only animals.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Estimates say we use about 500 million plastic straws a day.
Plastic straws are among the top 10 items found during beach cleanups.
I don't understand why you would think it a bad idea to reduce their impact on our oceans and beaches?
Sure they'll only make a dent, but it's a start at the least.

www.waste360.com...
www.nationalgeographic.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join