It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ridgecrest California area is still having seismic activities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I was looking at the RSOE EDIS live Hazard map today and well we are still seeing a lot activity within the area the 7.1 magnitude earthquake occurred. This one area has more seismic activity that the rest of the country. Most of what is shown in the images below occurred from 7/10/2019-7/11/2019. Granted most of the quakes range from 2-3 in magnitude.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MorpheusUSA

Yep, will be having aftershocks for months. Even up to a high M5 or low M6 is still a possibility.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I read somewhere, can't remember the source, it could go on for years.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 4891morfih

Yeah, it depends on the size of the quake.

The M9.1 that happened on Japan is still producing aftershocks all these years later.

Aftershocks are earthquakes that follow the largest shock of an earthquake sequence. They are smaller than the mainshock and within 1-2 fault lengths distance from the mainshock fault. Aftershocks can continue over a period of weeks, months, or years.

USGS
edit on 11-7-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

The 7.2 in Alaska on Nov. 30 was still producing 5+ M aftershocks until mid-January. I got tired of reporting them all, lol, so tailed off.

It depends on where the earthquakes occur as to whether or not it is considered an aftershock. And this is kind of strange because the quakes are usually reversed, large one first, then small, but this was the other way around. They say that the 24 hours following a large quake is when you can have an even larger one. Which seems like that is what happened in California. As time progresses, the odds start dropping that an equal or larger aftershock will follow.

We haven't had any major aftershocks since the start of the year (I predicted one by Easter but nothing happened thus I have not been hired as a prophet!). I expect 3 months or so of major movement (4, 5 M-ish) for CA but who knows? I don't think this was a slip-fault quake like ours was.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

And as with the entire Planet Earth continue to have seismic activity for millions of years till the planet expires.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

Yes, but they are so localized. I know we have earthquakes, but the just so clustered in one spot compared to the other quakes going on.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Last time I looked CA is in a Seismic zone....

top topics

join