It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Go-Lucky People at Disneyland

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I'd tell you I could remedy that but you couldn't pay me to go to Disney.

The last time I went to Disneyland I determined that it was truly not "the happiest place on Earth," but rather an overstuffed park with way too many strollers and children and grinding annoyance. Maybe that's just my old man perspective, but I looked around and saw that most of the people there were just miserable, including the children, from the craziness and high cost of it all. People spend so much money there, they have the attitude of, "We're gonna have fun at this place if it kills us." This was well over 15 years ago, and I haven't gone back since.
edit on 11-7-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

When I lived in Florida we had season passes.

It was hilarious people watching.
Most people try to cram way too much in one day. Most people are not prepared for the hot weather.
Most people are not physically fit enough to walk a mile, let alone 10-15 miles at Disney.
(Just imagine, hot out of shape people that have walked 10 miles... what could go wrong)
Most people think kids will just be in a happy mood the entire time.
The line cutters. I almost witnessed a mass brawl because of this.

I've seen so many complete break downs by both adults and children.
If you really want my advice regarding Disney/ Universal, wait until the kids are older, like teens. It will be so much more fun. Also, I know it is expensive, but break it up to at least two days. Go off season. Seriously, what dummy goes to
Disney, in Florida in July.. (lot's of dummies) It is too hot to enjoy anything.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I saved it. I don't have a channel I'd put it up on though. But I figured I'd save it.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't think it's necessarily about wanting to go in July as much as it is about July being when kids are out of school. If you go during the off season, you're often talking about taking your kids out of school, and most parents aren't willing to do that.

Husband and I discussed taking son to Disney, and we decided if we ever did, we'd try to plan it during Spring Break. But that's a narrow window to plan through. We are neither one willing to pull him out of school for the time needed to really plan a vacation around Disney because, as you say, you need to plan days for it, not just try to hit it in one day.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: Edumakated

I ride on buddy passes with Delta. If I wanted first class, I had towear a dress and no sandals.

Paying passengers can wear whatever they want but not employees or buddy pass riders.

Nothing racial about it. Been that way for at least 50 years.

Guess you missed the part about selective enforcement of the rule...

It seems to be an antiquated rule considering how flying airlines nowadays is barely a step up from Greyhound, even in First Class.

The last time I was on a flight was 25 years ago, going from Honolulu to Tampa, and on each hop of the trip, we bounced between Economy & Business class seats depending on the flight. There seemed to be very little difference in attire in those sections -- everyone wore the best stuff they had, suits & ties, dresses & heels, etc. The First Class folks were dressed to the nines, obviously.

Holy cow man, you should have seen the dirty looks my mom got when we went to Hong Kong for Easter once, she wore jeans and a basic t-shirt and got glared at. IN ECONOMY CLASS. And my dad did warn her, my brother and I were poster children for wedding guest attire or something and my dad wore one of his suits, and his best leather loafers. My mom? Naw, "I'm not getting dressed up to sit in a seat for a few hours, I want to be comfortable!" Bad choice on her part. No confrontations, but the looks made it clear.
Now granted, it was also a Swiss Air flight, and the entire shtick of the airline back then seemed to scream "show ample class" from how passengers dressed, to the (honestly for the era) best airplane food I've ever had.

Today, it seems to be acceptable to look like you rolled out of bed or stepped away from the stripper pole to fly. Dignity went the way of the dodo.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Go off season. Seriously, what dummy goes to
Disney, in Florida in July.. (lot's of dummies) It is too hot to enjoy anything.

My dad dragged us there in August before we moved to Korea for a while, it was supposed to be a party send-off for us kids from him to us.

My little brother and I were miserable, and did not have any fun at all. A very bored 8 and 5 year old makes for a very disappointed dad, but it was hotter than hell, more crowed than Cedar Point ever was (and that was a busy park back then, too) Me & little bro just couldn't get into it. In hindsight, I feel bad for my dad, my mom took off to hit up the gift shops for HOURS while the 3 of us wandered around trying to find something to appease everyone. I very highly doubt it went the way my dad planned at all.

But I can't see a real reason to go if you're not honestly into all things Disney. Neither of us kids ever were, and that just made it all the more dull on top of being scorching hot.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

But it's gone that way almost everywhere. Haven't you noticed?

Look at going to church for one example (maybe you never did, but we went every Sunday growing up). You always, always worse a dress or skirt, and men wore a suit or jacket. It was called Sunday best for a reason.

Then slowly as I got older stuff started creeping in -- women started wearing slacks. Men stopped wearing jackets and sweaters become OK.

Then, the unthinkable ... JEANS! IN CHURCH! Oh, the scandal ... as far as my mother was concerned anyhow.

But it's like going to Walmart and seeing everyone in their house pants and bunny slippers. I don't get it.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yeah, flying is an entirely different experience now. I recall flying as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s. Everyone was dressed up. Flying was a big deal, even in coach. Even during the 90s it was a different experience.

Now airlines are scraping the bottom of the barrel competing on price and people don't dress up anymore. I don't expect people to put on suits, but at least look some what presentable.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Disney probably doesn't like the video being out there showing their lack of security and lack of ability to adequately respond to an incident.

I think we have a winner.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But it's gone that way almost everywhere. Haven't you noticed?

Look at going to church for one example (maybe you never did, but we went every Sunday growing up). You always, always worse a dress or skirt, and men wore a suit or jacket. It was called Sunday best for a reason.

Then slowly as I got older stuff started creeping in -- women started wearing slacks. Men stopped wearing jackets and sweaters become OK.

Then, the unthinkable ... JEANS! IN CHURCH! Oh, the scandal ... as far as my mother was concerned anyhow.

But it's like going to Walmart and seeing everyone in their house pants and bunny slippers. I don't get it.

I can see leaving it up to the churches themselves, though. If they say casual is fine, that's their call as much as it's the parishoner's call to see their casual dress code & up the ante to Sunday Best. That rule has never translated in the reverse though, so I don't understand why people THINK it does. It just doesn't, it's crappy etiquette for anywhere with a dress code baseline.

I think ultimately, it's a symptom of people getting a little too used to being able to demand -- and easily get -- whatever they want lickity split.
edit on 7/11/2019 by Nyiah because: a little more clarity

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Too many people. Not enough time. You're talking about a time when people used to stay in one place for a while, knew their neighbors, worried about their "reputation," etc. People finally figured out that nobody has a "reputation" anymore and nobody knows or cares about what they do because they're just another person out of 8 billion on this planet.

And objectively, they're right. Can we call these people up and tell them "shame on you?" Nope. We don't know them, and in a week we won't even remember them or what they did. Just another news item for our amusement.

It sucks to get old, but when I think about the crap people used to put up with in the past because some busybody decided that they were "right" and everybody else needed to do what they said, I don't miss it as much.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Now airlines are scraping the bottom of the barrel competing on price and people don't dress up anymore. I don't expect people to put on suits, but at least look some what presentable.

When I'm spending 5-6 hours in a metal tube in close proximity to other people I want to dress comfortably. The only dress code I want the airlines to enforce is to make fit women wear yoga pants, everyone else should wear a burka.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

When I'm spending 5-6 hours in a metal tube in close proximity to other people I want to dress comfortably. The only dress code I want the airlines to enforce is to make fit women wear yoga pants, everyone else should wear a burka.

Not going to argue about yoga pants...

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't think it's necessarily about wanting to go in July as much as it is about July being when kids are out of school. If you go during the off season, you're often talking about taking your kids out of school, and most parents aren't willing to do that.

Husband and I discussed taking son to Disney, and we decided if we ever did, we'd try to plan it during Spring Break. But that's a narrow window to plan through. We are neither one willing to pull him out of school for the time needed to really plan a vacation around Disney because, as you say, you need to plan days for it, not just try to hit it in one day.

I'm going to give you some advice as a seasoned mom, and as a person that had season passes to all the park in Florida...
Pull your kid out of school and go in November or December, anytime but June/July/August. Spring break is bad too! Spring break is Feb-Early April

If you go during the times your kid is out there will be so many crowds, you will not get your moneys worth.
The absolute best time we ever went was beginning of December. If was perfect outside, and the park was not crowded and we got to ride everything. On top of that the hotel rates are a FRACTION of what they are during the peak. That alone can pay the cost of some tickets.

As far as the school thing goes. Get the work ahead of time. One week, or a few days mean nothing. I used to be like that too. Not wanting to take my kid out one single day. That was just silly. If I were to go back I would have totally gone when it was cheap/convenient for the parents, not the kids.

edit on 11-7-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I don't care what people wear, but there should be a bathing requirement. Forget TSA, there should be people that determine if you stink, if you do you don't get to go through!

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

If this had been a conservative white family with a person wearing a MAGA cap, it would be the headline piece on every single news station across America, runnning non-stop 24x7 loops of it, just non-stop! And you know it!

That sounds like a typical day at Walmart. Two redneck families brawled it out at my local Walmart just a few weeks ago. Didn't make the news. Stop playing the white victim card.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Because you're clueless. It would be.

No I'm not, and no it wouldn't be. This is a thread to shame black people. Nothing more.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I don't know about that so much as I think it boils down to a lack of self-respect. People have just gotten slovenly. They don't take the time to look presentable, and it shows a lack of respect for themselves and for others. So what if you don't know anyone around you? That's not the point. The point is that you look like crap and shouldn't you care if you look like crap for your own self if for no other reason?

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Blue Shift

I don't know about that so much as I think it boils down to a lack of self-respect. People have just gotten slovenly. They don't take the time to look presentable, and it shows a lack of respect for themselves and for others. So what if you don't know anyone around you? That's not the point. The point is that you look like crap and shouldn't you care if you look like crap for your own self if for no other reason?

Unfortunately, you can't legislate or bully people into having self-respect.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

If this had been a conservative white family with a person wearing a MAGA cap, it would be the headline piece on every single news station across America, runnning non-stop 24x7 loops of it, just non-stop! And you know it!

That sounds like a typical day at Walmart. Two redneck families brawled it out at my local Walmart just a few weeks ago. Didn't make the news. Stop playing the white victim card.

You expect people who have the money to go to places like Disney Land or Disney World to have a certain amount of class just like you expect the people of Walmart to be low class. There isn't anything surprising in the people of Walmart brawling, just like there's something surprising about patrons who can afford Disney Land fighting like common people of Walmart.

Ethnicity has little to do with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join