It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian-European-Union

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
As to the OP. A Russia/EU union is a fantasy. Russia would never want to be incorporated in a union where they would be a minor player. Russia's economy is not that big - it's smaller than Italy's GDP for example.

I have one caveat here. Population alone would make Russia a major player in a more centralised and more democratic union. Given that possibility, they might jump in faster than anyone could say "reverse take-over".

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Population wise they'd be about on par with two other major European powers, like Germany and France combined.

I'm a bit rusty on EU politics, voting isn't so representative of population is it? But if it was Russia would still need people/nations to vote with it, without some major changes it would always be out voted.

Most of Russia's population live in Europe technically though, I can't see Russia as it stands ever joining the EU. They'd need to seriously change how things are done (we still can't accept Turkey) or literally need to be shattered into many nations.

I don't see either happening any time soon. Russia would be a power house adopting the euro and everything else that comes with aligning it's economy with the EU. Fantasy stuff really.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
I'm a bit rusty on EU politics, voting isn't so representative of population is it? But if it was Russia would still need people/nations to vote with it, without some major changes it would always be out voted.

In the elections for the European Parliament, as recenty, the voters elect representatives of local regions.
Now currently the European Parliament has only modest powers. Historically, I think this comes down to the fact that a really democratic system would be more centralised than individual nations would like. They wanted meetings of national leaders to have the final say. So nationalism has worked against democracy, and that has had the effect of putting real power into the hands of the bureaucracy. That's why i suggested that the EU would have to be more centralised and democratic, like a real federal state, before the voting-power of the Russian population could have any real impact.

Earlier in this thread I invited someone to consider the Eurovision Song Contest. Have you ever watched that? When Russia and the former Communist bloc were allowed to enter, there was a period when they were dominating the contest every year. Thw winners kept coming from one of the former parts of the Soviet Union, because they would be voting for each other. I saw that as a warning of what things would be like if they were allowed to enter the European Union. A coalition of slavic Europe would not need many allies to outvote the rest.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-George Santayana

This has been tried and done before, countless times.

"But this time it'll be different!" So say those that really want to repeat history.

As an American, I really don't have any say in how Europe governs itself, so have at it if you want. Just don't get upset when we say, "Told ya so".

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Poland is fked either ways. The only way Poland can get out of this, is some how be an ally to the Chinese. Just like how the Mongol Empire fell. We all know US is going to stab everyone in the back either through war or by puppeteer countries. Neutrality is a big cost, but having the right alliance, will prevent greater wars. If it wasn't for US doing naval blockades and destroying Europe within through CIA control. Poland could be sailing ships to China just like the old days where sailors are actually more free.

Under NATO WW3 they will get destroyed. Under US alliance, they will get a slow takeover. If they let Russia in, the Russians will takeover. Chinese people are of different race and cannot takeover. That is their only option. Unless they want to get involved of ME war by inviting Brown people or Black people from Africa in African UN wars.

We all know the very reason the mongol empire fell is because the Chinese cut them off by taking back their lands and removing their gunpowder. No one should allow US to ever takeover China or put military bases there, that is when the backstabbing happens. China has always been a neutral zone. The very reason why Japan wants it through two wars.
edit on 11-7-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

More chance of Brexit than any sort of EU they are part off anyway.

I don't know what's happing there, because let's face its, they still don't have a scooby doo whats they are doing.

Apparently, Boris has all the answers if he can just calm the domestic abuse down to say Glaswegian levels.

Stand you a pint ant time Freeborn.

I dont see why we can't have close links with both the US and Russia nether, but I'm sure someone will have some kind of issue, especially if it can make them some money or grab them some political kudos.
edit on 11-7-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Happy belated Birthday!

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

That's probably true.

But whose economy is not "broken" these days?

Russias a nation with vastly underdeveloped land and resources, probably help each other immensely should we ever get our collective arse together, and put aside our petty squabbles.

Then again same could be said with many a nation i suppose.

Don't see any of us coming of Oil completely unless Thorium reactors or Nuclear fusion become a thing sooner rather than later, which might actually happen.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Happy belated Birthday!

Likewise pond skip cousin

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
buzzfeed

It's a true possibility, with the European right on the rise and them turning towards Moscow...
This would reshape global politics, just imagine there would be an Union between those two powerhouses.
Poland is probably not happy about that, but if France goes right after Macron failing, it could happen.
That would destroy US hegemony for good.
Interesting times.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there will never be a union between Russia and the EU.

The United States has great, great influence over European nations. The US will never allow anything even resembling a "union" between Russia and the EU. The influence and power of the US over the EU is far too great, I'm afraid.

Pure fantasy in fantasy-land.
edit on 11-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Interesting, but the EU can barely seem to hold itself together as it is.
And I don't see Putin letting Brussels bureaucrats have any say in how he runs Russia.

Tel me about it.

Not only will the USA never allow it, but Putin will never allow his power to be reduced by unionising with Europe.

(As an aside, I honestly can't envision Russia as it is without Putin. Crazy.)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Scores of EU bankers and financial institutions own the American federal reserve banking system.

I would be more concerned as to the influence the EU has over the US in some respects.

Need to remember that they did colonize the place.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Scores of EU bankers and financial institutions own the American federal reserve banking system.

I would be more concerned as to the influence the EU has over the US in some respects.

Need to remember that they did colonize the place.

Good point.

But remember back in 2014, when Obama placed sanctions on Russia. US allies predictably fell in line.
edit on 11-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Another POTUS all the same.

Same world stage i suppose but slightly different colored curtains.

Take China with the tariffs and sanctions that are being applied and imposed right now, far as i can establish that's hurting the US as much as them.

Seems like playing games with other peoples lives these days, but i guess that's politics, and always has been.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
We all know US is going to stab everyone in the back either through war or by puppeteer countries.

Yet consistently the US has stood up for democracy. In the case of Europe becoming involved in the winning side twice. Even today the US comprise a massive part of NATO. Why do you erroneously take the vew that the US will "stab everyone in the back"?

China has always been a neutral zone.

Clearly your world is not the one I live in. China has not be neutral since its formation in more recent times. Korea, Vietnam (who they attacked), and meddling in countries that border them, including getting involved in territorial wars with India, for example. South China Sea claims and so on. The occupation of Tibet. China is not neurtal, or peaceful. I can suggest some history books?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join