It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian-European-Union

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   
buzzfeed

It's a true possibility, with the European right on the rise and them turning towards Moscow...
This would reshape global politics, just imagine there would be an Union between those two powerhouses.
Poland is probably not happy about that, but if France goes right after Macron failing, it could happen.
That would destroy US hegemony for good.
Interesting times.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Interesting, but the EU can barely seem to hold itself together as it is.
And I don't see Putin letting Brussels bureaucrats have any say in how he runs Russia.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I don't think it would be the same EU. It would probably split.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

So? He can take their money and the oil from Russia.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Can't see why we should not welcome Russia to the into the European Union given what she could bring to the table resource wise.

Natural resources including large deposits of fuel and energy, oil, natural gas, coal, uranium ore, god knows what else.
edit on 11-7-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It would destroy Europe for good.
Russia has been trying to exercise domination in the affairs of western Europe for two and a half centuries (from the War of the Austrian Succession). It was a Russian army that garrisoned Paris after Napoleon's fall. In the nineteenth century Russia won the nickname "the gendarme of Europe" because of its zeal in backing up the power of monarchs over their subjects. The Communist zone after 1945 was formidable, but only half the extent of Russian influence in Napoleon's era.
In Gorbachev's time, one of the fears about "Gorbymania" was that it would draw western Europe towards Russia rather than the other way round.
One of my anxieties about the EU is that their idiot leadership might invite Russia into membershio, in which case Russia would inevitaably take over by sheer weight of voting power and economic resources. See what happened to the Eurovision song contest, and take note.
The puzzle to me is why you think the right is likely to turn to Russia. Tradionally, this has been a left-wing pastime.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The times are changing. In case you didn't notice Russia is not communist or left anymore, it's an autocracy now ie right.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
The times are changing. In case you didn't notice Russia is not communist or left anymore, it's an autocracy now ie right.

It wasn't communist in 1756 either, or in 1815, or in 1848. The realities of geopolitics make the occupants of Russian territory aspire to the control of the peninsula to the west of them.
I spent most of my post pointing out that this has been happening consistently for two and a half centuries, so the downfall of communism is an irrelevance.
Have you actually heard of any right-wing people saying "Yes, we should turn to Russia?" Your argument is based on reaction against America. Isn't it the left-wing that is most hostile to America? Why should that factor influence the right?

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

It wasn't communist in 1756 either, or in 1815, or in 1848. The realities of geopolitics make the occupants of Russian territory aspire to the control of the peninsula to the west of them.
I spent most of my post pointing out that this has been happening consistently for two and a half centuries, so the downfall of communism is an irrelevance.
Have you actually heard of any right-wing people saying "Yes, we should turn to Russia?" Your argument is based on reaction against America. Isn't it the left-wing that is most hostile to America? Why should that factor influence the right?

Can’t help but wonder why you think ‘America’ has any say in this? Last time I checked the US is on the other side of the world

So are you worried/bothered that the EU likes Russia better than America?

What if that’s what they really want? Because it looks like it

edit on 11-7-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The eu needs Russia for energy. It doesn't need the U.S..

Although the U.S. is trying to sell Europe natural gas at 3 times the price of Russian gas.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Some Europeans are naturally drawn to that stability teh Putin offers and don't care for letting their countries turn into LBGT swamps and over run with Islamics and third worldies and Poles Romanies.

You could well have a point here. Plus Russia has really got its act together these days. Re-equipped its military with weaponry fift generation domestic manufacturing capability way ahead of EU. Alos space programme still number one on Planet Earth. Finally it's the largest country on Planet Earth with resources any other bloc can only dream of.

All in all a very attractive partner for any nation on Planet Earth

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa
Can’t help but wonder why you think ‘America’ has any say in this? Last time I checked the US is on the other side of the world
So are you worried/bothered that the EU likes Russia better than America?
What if that’s what they really want? Because it looks like it

Are you under the impression that I am an American and speak from an American viewpoint? No, all good Americans are tucked in their beds and fast asleep at this time of day.
I am British and therefore semi-European, and I don't want the EU to prefer Russia because being controlled by Russia is a Bad Thing. May you not live long enough to learn that by experience.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   

There's more chance of andy06 walking into my local singing God Save The Queen whilst wearing an England shirt and then getting the beer in!

It simply isn't going to happen.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   

You're kidding, right? Le pen doesn't make a secret out of her admiration for Russia, just as one example, in the OP it shows Salvini has connections to Russia, German AFD is basically in a lovestory with Putin...
I only mentioned the US because they're losing their grip.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

This is great! Time for us to bring our troops home! WWII has been over for some time now. Our country is broke. We simply cannot afford exorbitant sky-high European base rents.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Was my Birthday yesterday, Mrs got me the new Rangers top, that's about as close as you will ever get to me in an England shirt I'm afarid, im sure you would not touch a Scotland or Rangers shirt for that matter. LoL

As to the "God Save The Queen", think I've sung that at one point or another, don't know about meaning it all the same.

Don't mind getting the beer in through.

Russia might be able to offer us a better ""trade deal"" than our US cousins after Brexit if we ask nicely.

Could get to keep the NHS out of Nazi private hands, and their food canny be any worse off than the GM modified spurious concoctions America has to offer.

Theses a thought that will never happen nether i suppose.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

There's not enough money in the world to get me wearing a Rangers top!

I once nearly had to wear a kilt.
I was due to be an usher at a Scottish mates wedding but the happy couple split up a matter of days before the wedding.

I used to sing God Save The Queen with passion...I now recognise it to be a miserable dirge.
Regardless of the words - which are #e really - its so downbeat, we need something uplifting and stirring.

Now The Pistols God Save The Queen is a timeless classic.

I don't doubt for one minute you'd get a round in.
I know you Scots like to play up to the miserly Jock stereotype but I also know that the truth is somewhat different....you just don't like people knowing that!

As for any sort of union with Russia; it isn't going to happen.
Maybe come Brexit we'll be able to forge closer trade links with them etc....but that all depends on freeing ourselves from EU control.
I don't see why we can't have close links with both the US and Russia.....maybe I'm being naïve in thinking that?

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Me and you share birthdays

As for the topic of discussion, I am with watchitburn... I don't see Putin agreeing to outside influence to the day to day of his country. Though with the EU finding itself in more complex situations year to year, maybe they would make a deal based more off of economic ties than anything.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Russia might be able to offer us a better ""trade deal"" than our US cousins after Brexit if we ask nicely.

UK trade with Russia is very low. In a decade the UK and the rest of the developed world (except the US perhaps) will be weaning themselves off oil et al, so Russian exports will be further reduced. Russia's economy is broken - over 50% of it is based on oil and gas, and the use of oil and gas is going to fall like a stone.

As to the OP. A Russia/EU union is a fantasy. Russia would never want to be incorporated in a union where they would be a minor player. Russia's economy is not that big - it's smaller than Italy's GDP for example.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join