It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranians attempt to highjack a british fuel tanker

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Zaphod58

We haven't dealt with someone in awhile, but Iran hasn't exactly been advancing in leaps and bounds since the 1980s. It wouldn't be pretty, but it wouldn't be a disaster either.

Iran can't reach out and touch us, so as far as I can tell, they aren't our problem.

Iran killed more US troops in Iraq than previously known

Iran's terrorist activity is a threat to everyone in the Middle East. And if they start #ing around with ships in the Strait of Hormuz, that's a threat to the entire world's energy security. Ask Saddam if that's a good idea, like when he invaded Kuwait. It won't just be the US coming to # you up then.
edit on 11 7 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Now we're finding some middle ground. I wouldn't even be horribly opposed to doing a joint strike with other powers so long as it was calculated and we didn't absorb all the cost and the responsibility.

But I'd be curious if they would help seeing as we kind of got the ball rolling on this situation to begin with.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Iran is a very different situation than we've seen in that region. If anything happens it will be limited in scope, similar to the first strikes in Syria, and other countries in the past. The planned strike would have hit the air defenses in the area that the S-200 was fired that brought down the BAMS-D. The idea is to reign in the IRGC, and teach them that it's a bad idea to keep escalating things the way they have been. Then deal with any escalations after in a limited manner, similar to Preying Mantis.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Not that it makes much difference, but Iran backed militias killed US soldiers. I agree that still puts blame on them, but proxies we've backed in the region have done things that we like to distance ourselves from too.

That doesn't absolve Iran, I just wanted to point it out, because the Middle East is a proxy cluster f###, and they're not the only threat to peace in the region. There are many powers, with different agendas all with several proxy forces.

Since the world is so dependent on energy security from the ME (except for us as of recently) maybe it's time we put our heads and resources together to become energy independent rather than subsidizing the energy through military force.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Iran is being foolish again. Her Majesties ship, Montrose will slap them, and if that isn't enough, we have got Her Majesties back, and we will rain Hellfire on them.

The H.M.S Montrose is there? I'm from the town of Montrose and that ship comes to port regularly, they used to put together a football team and play against the town team whenever they are on shore, go get 'em lads...

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The idea is to reign in the IRGC, and teach them that it's a bad idea to keep escalating things the way they have been. Then deal with any escalations after in a limited manner, similar to Preying Mantis.

Unless they feel cornered. What options do they have if things start to escalate? They are starting to get economically strangled by the sanctions (and I get that's the point of the sanctions), but if you were Iran right now, would you trust the global community to give in and all is hunky dory? So they give up their nuke program, does that mean the international community (mainly the US) just says alright, you're back in the global market?

Do you believe if they just give up their nuke program we let them go back to business as usual? And I'm genuinely asking, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I've got enough sense to know that you have more knowledge in this realm than I do.
edit on 11-7-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The strikes won't be large enough to make them feel cornered. They'll be designed to hit a few defense installations, such as SAM sites, small boat facilities, etc. They won't be all out, but will be surgical using the minimum number of weapons required.

The biggest stumbling block with Iran and getting things back to normal is the religious leadership. They have to be hard core to get into the positions of power they hold, which means they're usually zealots, and willing to do whatever to hold onto power. It's going to take an internal uprising to remove them.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

ETA: On one hand folks like to claim it's not a big deal if Iran gets nukes because they're too smart to use them, but then they'll turn around and respond to limited strikes and get themselves into a conventional war with US and possibly its allies? Are they smart or not?

That's a fair enough question. I suppose it's nuance. Just like people are willing to be critical of the federal government and its spending unless it has to do with foreign projection, and then question the reasoning is considered a no no.

Personally, I doubt they would risk nuclear annihilation by using one... But they're bats### crazy so who really knows.

My question has always been why is that region our responsibility.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I have the feeling you thought on their mindset is correct. It will eventually backfire if they use that belief.

I don't think we need to instigate a fight but if Iran starts it there will be one. And that will be on them. When playing with fire, bad things often happen.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A few years ago I got the chance to talk to a guy from Iran, after cursing his government he told me to watch an animated movie "Persepolis" recommended!

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: jd0Fengland
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

One was operating illegally shipping oil to syria which has restrictions right now and Gibraltar is part of the UK

And there's another questionable set of sanctions against another country, it's financial bullying because the corporate powers want their way mate, it has nothing to do with morals

Or, Iran is taking a page from China's book, and messing with trade in international waters and claiming the ships crossed into their waters, prompting sanctions.

But no, you go on with the faux outrage.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
They tried and failed?

That's gotta be embarrassing for the Iranian, ahem, navy.

These tankers sometimes hire groups of blackwater type mercenaries.
On YouTube there are videos of them lighting up pirates.
Pretty brutal stuff.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
No Bombs, Huge Speakers

Blaring Queen interspersed with ACDC's "if you want blood" 24/7

the Iranian milenials would be dancing in the streets as the Mullahs peed themselves.

Beautiful.

link   
was
edit on 11-7-2019 by thedigirati because: too many

link   
this

link   
a sign?

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnS23

I'd be fascinated to see that, but I don't think that Iran has that capability, the aren't really equipped with the heavy duty guided missiles necessary to do that, and carriers are very difficult to kill. Iran has always aimed more for land based asymmetric warfare rather than anti ship. Iran has some modern air launcher anti ship missiles but America has air superiority so I don't think that they would be of much use, and they are more for frigate sized targets.

Now China on the other hand has been hearing up to take on carriers for a decade. Their sea skimming cruise missiles could punch a hole in a carrier in short order.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: jd0Fengland

British are holding their ships full of oil,and they said that they would retaliate,so it's ok for Brits to steal but not anyone else?,I'd be careful might get nuked

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: jd0Fengland

British are holding their ships full of oil,and they said that they would retaliate,so it's ok for Brits to steal but not anyone else?,I'd be careful might get nuked

Steal?

Do you call the police thieves if they seize bootlegged booze?

What if the police seized a barrel of beer on its way to a 16 year olds Birthday party full of underage children, are they sealing it?

Do you understand that there is a UN embargo on sending oil to Syria, yes the same Syria that uses chemical weapons on its own people?

Would the British be stealing if they intercepted a Nuclear weapon from someone being sent to North Korea?

Oh dear Oldtimer, perhaps its time to step away.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
BBC reporting Yanks are putting together a Coalition to protect the seas off Iran. Seems a sensible precaution seeing what's going on over there and the Irania n interference with strong British Arab relations tarde history and co oiperation going back 100 years true friend and allies of ours

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join