It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook gives ok to make death threats

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Just the other week we saw how a journalist was beaten by a mob in the name of fighting fascism

This started with throwing milkshakes, which vox’s Carlos Maza, who instructed Twitter in who to censor told people to do

This shows the hypocrisy of social media companies selectively enforcing who they censor

They allow calls for violence as long as it fits their ideological slant

Well surprise surprise, Facebook is in on the action too

What if I told you that Facebook actually allows you to make death threats on their platform, as long as it’s directed at the right people?

Sounds crazy, right?

So try this experiment if you have face book

Go to terms and policies

Then click community standards

Then click on #1 violence and incitement

And you will see this

That’s right

Don’t make death threats

UNLESS!!!

The media says your threatening a bad guy!!!

I mean if the media says your a racist, or the southern poverty law center, well then it’s ok to make death threats

What harm could come of that?

If a post on Facebook incites violence, they should be held legally accountable

So remember, the next time these social media companies get in their moral high horse about needing to censor people to stop violence, they really are ok with violence against people they don’t agree with
edit on 9-7-2019 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Yet another frightening step by the head of the FANGs.

People will continue to defend this herald of a dystopian future until we're all living in a Black Mirror episode.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Not surprising to me. I would love to see how they define "Dangerous Individuals". As I have heard on CNN, from the anchors and guests.......it is ok to punch a Nazi. But when you define the entirety of the right as Nazis, then it is open season. Facebook just may be following suit.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Yet another frightening step by the head of the FANGs.

People will continue to defend this herald of a dystopian future until we're all living in a Black Mirror episode.

It seems that the pace of this is escalating

It started with is it ok to punch Nazis

Now we have the terms and service of on of the biggest social media companies in the world saying it’s ok to make severe threats of violence and death threats as long as media people say the person you are threatening deserves it

And clearly many people like Antifa are willing to use actual violence by calling everyone they disagree with Nazis

Meanwhile, these same companies justifying violent threats are censoring people they ideologically dislike because their words are violence

It’s surreal

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

OK. Report those people for terms and conditions violation? There's nothing stopping you.

Social media is made up of the social networks of people who make them, it's not Facebooks problem that some groups are more hated compared to others. They prowl for the usual content, nudity, outright death threats etc, etc. But even at that, it takes the community as a whole to trigger moderation.

But of course, you've found a loophole, the media made the facebook community think this way...

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Well it says these threats are ok against people the media has identified as dangerous individuals

And many in the media say maga hats are a hate symbol that is violence against minorities

So it’s ok to issue death threats to maga hat wearers in Facebook

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

People making threats are one thing

A social media company allowing violent or even death threats to certain people the media doesn’t like is another game entirely

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

People making threats are one thing

A social media company allowing violent or even death threats to certain people the media doesn’t like is another game entirely

This is grasping at straws here. You're saying the media as a whole is having a direct influence on peoples personal opinions on facebook?

You might as well just blame every fault in American society on all global media at that point. Facebook is made up of more than just citizens of the USA you know.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Social media is made up of the social networks of people who make them, it's not Facebooks problem that some groups are more hated compared to others.

It's actually the media that makes some groups more hated compared to others.

Our media in the USA is essentially the PR arm of the DNC... run by Democrats.

Facebook is complicit in this, with shadowbanning, etc.

The pendulum is starting to swing right though.

So 3 years from now when it's acceptable and perfectly fine to post death threats to an 8 year old because they are doing a parody of a Conservative just remember...

You are fine with that.

edit on 9-7-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
In that case, I may have to join Facebook again.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

because their words are violence

I've been a slam poet and spoken word artist since I was a kid.

I stopped recently when a host at a local poetry reading told me not to express violent opinions. When I pressed him on what that actually means, he got very indignant. He indicated that there would be violence if I said anything they didn't like.

Me being me, I told them where to put their dumbass threats. My time as a slam poet is over. Had a good 15 year run, but the PC police label everyone they don't agree with as a nazi.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

What kind of a poet are you that you let people silence you like that? Not trying to start a fight, just wondering. I've had entire rooms walk out.

That just means you hit a nerve. The truth will always be unpopular.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

What happens within the US and facebook is irrelevant.

Facebook is a global machine, I can read an article from say Vice or Fox and the comments will be global.

I can look up Neo Nazi groups on facebook if I wanted to. I can look up communist ones, the point is, Facebook is a global machine, but when one group goes to far, don't expect to get away with it. Or if one group boasts something that isn't popular on the internet, don't expect it to not get drowned out.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

What happens within the US and facebook is irrelevant.

If so, perhaps you should just shut up and let us in the US sort it out.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The issue is Facebook is saying that it’s ok to make sever threats that could lead to death as long as they are directed at certain people

This is a dangerous game to play, as we see real people issuing real violence under the same mentality

If Facebook wants to allow certain violent threats, so be it

But if those threats lead to real violence and death, even if it’s someone members of the media or Facebook don’t like, they should be held legally and morally responsible

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

It clearly says "Do not post".

Meaning if you do, it will eventually lead to what ever facebook has in the fine print, which most likely and completely unties them with such situations, you don't think they haven't gone through the gauntlet of lawyers to cover their ass if this happened? People have literally livestreamed murders, suicides, and mass shootings on FB and they were not held accountable.
You think some idiot saying "I'm going to beat you up" will land them in court?

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Go ahead, sort it out. What will the US do from Facebook being a global enterprise?

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

It says do not post threats of high level violence

UNLESS

That unless comes after the do not post section

That means they are giving their stance on when it’s ok to post these threats of violence

Like if a door says do not open unless there is a fir
That doesn’t mean never open the door

It means it’s ok to opens it if there is a fire, otherwise don’t do it

Just like here they are saying it’s ok to make severe threats that made lead to death if it means the criteria they outline (including the media saying it’s dangerous people it’s directed at)

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

What kind of a poet are you that you let people silence you like that? Not trying to start a fight, just wondering. I've had entire rooms walk out.

Yeah, but now I am under threat of violence for not walking on enough eggshells.

I was always pretty controversial but I was never willing to hurt people over it. These people were willing to hurt me to get their "point" across. It was almost a really bad night where people were gonna get hurt and it wasn't gonna be me. So I left.
edit on 9 7 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Yes, if a group is proven to be dangerous, like say Hitlers Nazi's, or Mao, you can smack talk them.

You also seem to ignore the myriad of other DO NO POST stuff tied to it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join