It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus and Boeing threaten to withdraw from Canadian fighter replacement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Claiming that the Canadian F-18 replacement program is skewed towards Lockheed, Airbus and Boeing have threatened to withdraw from the program. The final RFP is due out July 17th, and Saab, Airbus, and Boeing have all protested that it unfairly leans towards Lockheed. According to sources, the RFP includes the ability to carry out first strikes on targets abroad, which all three companies claim favors the F-35. The Canadian government is considering some of the requested changes, but hasn't said how many, or what changes will be made before the RFP drops.

Airbus SE and Boeing Co. may pull out of a bidding process to supply Canada with new fighter jets because they say the contest is unfairly tilted toward Lockheed Martin Corp., two sources with direct knowledge of the situation said on Monday.

The three companies competing with Lockheed Martin’s F-35 jet have already complained about the way the contest is being run, and expressed concern some of the specifications clearly favour the U.S. firm, industry sources have said in recent weeks.

Next week the government is due to release the so-called request for proposals – the final list of requirements – for the 88 new planes it wants to buy. The contract is worth between $15-billion and $19-billion and the planes are due to be delivered between 2025 and the early 2030s.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Dicey situation......

Japan wants in I think.....

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Gee who saw that one coming? Didn't a whole bunch of us on here predict this kind of a farcical outcome more than 2-3 years ago?

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Yeah, several people have watched this coming almost from day one. This entire farce has been ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
They should drop out and let Lockheed jack the prices, Or maybe Canada can buy a copy from the Chinese

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I think, and please don't freak out, that Canada's actual needs would be better served by the F-15EX. I am willing to argue it, mainly because what the F-35 can do doesn't really fit the needs they have. Canada will never be, nor never be expected to be a first strike nation. Canada's best defense is actually and literally defense.

With NORAD and F-22's from the US helping defend them, the F-15EX is actually the best card they could play.

And no, I don't work for Boeing, but I wish I did.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Does this really surprise anyone?

YF-23 beat the F-22 in every area except for cost from what I understand. And airbus? Why were they even a contender?
edit on 7/8/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Because they're the lead in the Typhoon program.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Except Boeing wasn't offering the F-15.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The F-15EX costs roughly the same as an F-35 and is probably only marginally cheaper in CPFH, which is the real money pit when operating fighters. I actually think a buy of Gripen E/F's of between 75-100 would make more sense and give them a lot of advanced capabilities and flexibility that a fleet of larger and more expensive to operate jets wont as easily or within a smaller budget. Gripen N is probably the best compromise currently on the market between 4th and 5th Gen aircraft that can be afforded and operated. They are also well set up for cold weather operations.

posted on Jul, 8 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Trudeau's an idiot. We need defensive planes, not first strike aggressors.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

The two are the same thing. An F-22 is a first strike plane that works great as a defensive asset.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 01:27 AM
link   
So, companies having a fits and threatening to withdraw because their offerings don't not match the requirement. What's the problem? There requirement is the requirement. Is there a loss of logic?

As a member of NATO, Canada spends 1.3% of GDP at the moment, well below the pledged 2% of GDP.They are modernisong their navy, so now time to chuck a few dollars into their airforce.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

You can easily write the requirements in a way that is open to everyone but clearly favors one competitor. That's exactly what the Air Force did with the KC-46.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   

The two are the same thing. An F-22 is a first strike plane that works great as a defensive asset.

Bwahahahaha remember when they thought about starting up the F22 production again..Psych...

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Saab still makes fighters? Must have been living under a rock...

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Except Boeing wasn't offering the F-15.

Odd that they didn't. Wonder why the F-18 over the F-15 for Canada. F-15 seems a better fit for Canada's actual air defense needs. Especially the newer models.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
The F-15EX costs roughly the same as an F-35 and is probably only marginally cheaper in CPFH, which is the real money pit when operating fighters. I actually think a buy of Gripen E/F's of between 75-100 would make more sense and give them a lot of advanced capabilities and flexibility that a fleet of larger and more expensive to operate jets wont as easily or within a smaller budget. Gripen N is probably the best compromise currently on the market between 4th and 5th Gen aircraft that can be afforded and operated. They are also well set up for cold weather operations.

I can see the Gripen being attractive to Canada. Not sure if it can cover as much airspace as the F-15, but it does have its merits.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Because the Super Hornet requires minimal changes to training and infrastructure, while meeting requirements.

posted on Jul, 9 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because the Super Hornet requires minimal changes to training and infrastructure, while meeting requirements.

Forgot for a moment they already have them. Thanks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join