It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assimilating Photoshop Skills: The Copycat Game!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Welcome to the new BTS Photoshop skills enhancement thread!

Your teacher today will be.....yourself, and those who come before you!

The basic premise behind this thread here is two-fold.....An original image(s) and manipulated image are posted....The next poster's goal is to then try their best to duplicate the previous poster's manipulated image, using the original they have been provided with....

It is suggested that the person who duplicates the previous image should add their own spin or twist....Extra "points" for those who can outdo the previous poster and make it look even better - As long as you share a tip or two

The idea here is to learn new techniques by teaching yourself...experiment and play around with Photoshop and see if you can match what others make....

In this process, tips and tricks can be exchanged for those moments when you're completely baffled....

If you don't understand the rules, or have a question - Just post it as you go....Hopefully, you all get the basic idea

I'll start things off....The Rat Pack way

Original:

Manipulated:

Have at it!

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

[edit on 3/3/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

JAK

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Here's the good size version of the original to work with
:

Aha, or... we should be working with your image Enron?

Jack

[edit on 4/3/05 by JAK]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
Aha, or... we should be working with your image Enron?

You'll want to work with the image you posted above, which is an unmodfied JPEG of Dean Martin which I pulled off of a google search....

The trick is to see how close you can get it to look like the "aged" image I posted below the original in my first post

[edit on 3/4/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

try this again...maybe now

[edit on 4-3-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
oh wait...are we supppose to make it look as close to the one that he made look dated? or are we suppose to just make it look aged? I think I got it mixed up.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
because I can also do this...This is fun...lol

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020

Positive proof that John Kerry is Dean Martin's love child

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
One too many martinis Mr. Martin?

Okay - What you want to do is very similar to your first post...take Image A:

And try to make it look as much like what I've done to Image B as you can:

Then you can take that new image you've made, and add your own twist to it...For example, like combining the "liquify" effect with the "age worn", so that you've not only copied what I've done, but you've added something new to it yourself.....

This way, you get a wide specturm of different ideas and technqiues thrown at you, and if youy're not sure how to do something, the person who created the image you're trying to duplicate is there to help you out and point you in the right direction....

Make sense? You've got a great start....See if you can add the sepia effect and a few scratches or folds to it now
Remember, I'll be happy to help if you can't figure it out

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
ok..hows 'bout this one for ya???

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

ok..hows 'bout this one for ya???

problem is all you did was take his first image apply a filter and put in a lensflare so thats really not what he is trying to get you to do. You used ether a blur or a distort or a artisic fliter to get that effect over his picture.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
You beat me to it shadarlocoth...

I was like...Hang on a sec...The same pixel size? The same border size? Is that my drop shadow in there too?

Allow me to clarify - The "copy" in copycat does not mean you should right click and copy the manipulated image, then say you did it....

It's all gravy though....If you're just not sure how to do it, then just ask questions

Keep in mind though, there's more than one way to skin a cat.....And it doesn't always have to be the same species of cat.....yeeeeah.....I'll stop there....

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ok here's my attempt with some additions. I had to create an Out Of Bounds image because it's just too much fun.

EDIT: after rereading this thread it seems my image doesn't conform to the intent of this exercise. So please ignore the hand and flame that I added to the image.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Wow! Great job KL!

Originally posted by kinglizard
EDIT: after rereading this thread it seems my image doesn't conform to the intent of this exercise. So please ignore the hand and flame that I added to the image.

Actually it still "conforms" - Notice that I said above that once you've made your attempt at duplicating the image, you can add your own little "twist"

I'd certainly call that a twist

For those still confused, KL has got this down pat.....He took the original image, made it look like the one I manipulated, then put his own spin on it...

And the finale? Perhaps I can make KL give up his secrets on how he creates his "out of bound" images - That will serve as the "tip" we all get to learn....

So you see, then maybe someone can try and duplicate KL's style, by setting a different image "out of bonds", which can then be duplicated and enhanced...so on and so forth....

Everyone follow?

Sometimes I even confuse myself.....

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Ok here's an "out of bounds" image you can try to duplicate.

Original image below:

Manipulated image below:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
well just for the record, ive had photoshop for 3 days now..lol..Not only is it a new program, its a new language. I mean..."gradience???" wtf..lol...This is all strictly self taught as well. Expect great things from me in the future, but as for now, I am still using training wheels...

ps--> great job on all..looks awesome!

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A simple transformation of a great actor,

I'm sorta new with Adobe Photo Shop 7

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Awesome Mouse! I'm liking all the participation

Here's my spin on your image KL....

That's such a fun technique! Gives your images a whole new dimension! Not too difficult to do either

I'll come back a little later and post a new image for someone to take a shot at...Or anyone else is welcome to posting a new one....Also, feel free to do your best at duplicating past images

Expect great things from me in the future, but as for now, I am still using training wheels...

Definantly man! Let me now if I can be of any help
Keep taking stabs at the new images we post and ask as many questions as you need to....

[edit on 3/5/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I am extremely proud of this piece of artwork. I am particularly satisfied with my Glare Lens added to the star in the middle, and the Blur affect on the spaceships engines, I actually had to blur the spaceship layer, and go back and blur the planets to complete the affect, Thanks for the oppurtunity!

I thought of editing this with a story, hope you enjoy

In 1992 Above Top Secret's website established a fund to raise money for a personal satellite, yet the money raised far exceeded the money need to contract a satellite. Above Top Secret established the ATS Space Program, with enough funds to build a space station, and explorers craft. In the picture above, this photo illustrates the X-1 Explorer returning from twin planets 100 million light years away from our Milky Way Galaxy. Members of ATS influenced the decision to explore these planets using hard and soft evidence that their may be highly and advanced life on the planets. in 2010, the X-1 will return to earth with its recorded communications equipment.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by XX_Mouse_XX]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I would love to give props to Enron for another Forum, where you took real live photo's. When it comes to Wild Life pictures you could be making some serious bread my friend

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Anyone got any good tuorials for makijng out of bounds images. I'm ok with photoshop but I have no clue how to make an out of bounds image.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join