It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Four Canadian Police Killed in Pot Raid

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Four Royal Canadian Mounted Police were killed today while conducting an investigation of a marijuana farm. This is the worst occurrence of on duty death in Canada in 120 years. The four officers were shot by a suspect hiding in a Quonset hut near the village of Rochfort Bridge, ALberta. The suspect committed suicide after shooting the officers.

story.news.yahoo.com
ROCHFORT BRIDGE, Alberta - Four officers of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were shot dead Thursday while investigating an illegal marijuana farm, the worst case of police killings in Canada in 120 years.

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes said the four officers were at a Quonset hut on a farm near the village of Rochfort Bridge in northwestern Alberta when they were shot by a suspect, who was also found in the shed. A government source told The Canadian Press news agency that the suspect later killed himself after shooting the officers.

"It's my sad duty to inform you that four members of the RCMP were killed today in the line of duty — four brave, young members," said Bill Sweeney, commanding officer of the RCMP in the western province of Alberta.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is truly sad to have these men gunned down doing their job. If there are any other suspects, I hope that the RCMP tracks them down in due course. This comes as Canada is pondering a decriminalization bill for marijuana. It seems that this may be premature.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Why does it seem premature? The bills being concoted will be stifening penalties for growers and dealers while decriminalising regular joes possesing the stuff. FredT, I know you have a dim view of Pot smokers, and that is probably due to fatherhood and I can respect that
But one thing I have an issue with is you are mostly speaking from inexperiance. I say do the experiment look the data over then make an informed decision. I am not coming from a Pot-Head angle as I gave up those days long ago, I am coming at this from a Libertarian perspective and the little Libertarian inside me says "Prohibition is wrong" and I agree. If say Canada does decriminalized marijuana in my lifetime(not sure on that one) and chaos does not ensue would you be willing to change your mind regardless of the health affects?

Mull one thing over. Pharmacies in the USA are allowed to sell Cigarettes that kill people, but they are not allowed to sell Marijuana to Chemo patients who can't keep anything down and have to use semi-toxic meds to keep food down...

From the Article
the worst case of police killings in Canada in 120 years.

That is pretty amazing when you think about it.

I also find it hard to believe that is all these guys were protecting. It will be interesting to see what happens in the days ahead.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
awww you beat me too it
i just saw it on the news not 5 minets ago
but its pritty sad thing to happen, its in my home province too

but i heard 5 people were dead? well maybe 1 wasnt an officer or something but o well sad story

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by trust_no_one
awww you beat me too it
i just saw it on the news not 5 minets ago
but its pritty sad thing to happen, its in my home province too

but i heard 5 people were dead? well maybe 1 wasnt an officer or something but o well sad story

Yeah,:
Drug Raid End in Death of Four Mounties

During a raid on an illegal marijuana-growing operation, four Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were gunned down in one of the most tragic days in the history of the Canadian national police force. The Mounties were armed with handguns only, and faced a single man armed with a rifle, who later ended his own life. This tragedy is unprecedented in the recent history of the RCMP, rivaling the 1885 Northwest Rebellion. The Mounties were cracking down on illicit marijuana "grow-ops" that have sprung up across Alberta, many of the operations targeted by the so-called police "Green Teams" are said to be connected with organized crime.

This Article caught my attention in that considering the circumstances of this particular situation; these events strike me as being exceptionally brutal. As an American raised on television and movies, when I hear that ‘four cops have been gunned down during a drug raid,’ images of crack factories located in rundown buildings in large American cities being overrun with countless SWAT team members brandishing compact automatics, dominates my consciousness. However, this happened in rural Canada, during a bust of a local marijuana grower. Four cops armed only with handguns must not have suspected a major resistance. In a statement, Prime Minister Paul Martin said: "Canadians are shocked by this brutality, and join me in condemning the violent acts that brought about these deaths." Could this be the beginning of a major crackdown of Canadian marijuana-growers in retaliation of these brutal slayings? Is something more sinister at foot than merely low-key grow-operations?

The early-bird catches the worm.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This massacare happened in my home province and its sad to see 4 young men die in gurrelia style.
My question is was the shooter a far right anti govt. person ? (there is a KKK camp up north of AB).

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Havik]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
another 4 good souls fall to the war on MJ

and one paranoid scumbag... Sounds like a unibomber in the making, so we are all better off without it,
but the loss of the mounties...
just a tragedy...simply put.
Pray for their families...

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You are right. There were five deaths. The fifth is the culprit.

I live a few hundred miles from Mayerthorpe, AB - the closest town to where this happened.

The really sad thing is that the four RCMP officers were all junior RCMP. They have been with the RCMP for less than three years.

The guy Jim Roscoe, has been in trouble with the law before. The people from the Hamlet where he lived said they were surprised that he was even out of jail. He kept vicious guard dogs, one part wolf part akita. He laid spike belts on the road into his farm and attacked a census taker in the past, amoung other things. The typical "loner", he lived on a full section (640 acres).

His quonset hut was also rumoured to be a chop shop.

A fifth officer was shot, but he was airlifted to Edmonton, Alberta and as far as I know, he is still alive.

The RCMP detachment the officers were from only had about seven members; a sargent, corporal and maybe five constables.

Those officers played hockey in the local fun leagues. That league was about to have a tournament this weekend - those four officers would have been playing in it.

It may not seem like a big deal when put into perspective of the world we live in today, but this sort of thing just doesnt happen around here and has hit everyone in the Province pretty hard.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Black Flag]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This is in Canada right? Like north of America? Like near the north pole? In Michigan here we have 2 feet of snow.

WHAT could possibly be growing in Canada right now?

Or wait hmmm was it an indoor operation???

Addendum for Mounty Training manual: Do not raid a drug farm with hand guns. I think there is a lot more to this story.

They shouldve just dropped a 500 kilo bunker buster on the poor bastard.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnM
Addendum for Mounty Training manual: Do not raid a drug farm with hand guns. I think there is a lot more to this story.

No handguns in Canada, in case you didn't know- at least they were outlawed the last time I was there. I am curious if they were even armed.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The assailant had a rifle.

Of course the Mounties were armed. Dont be ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Legalize. The only one who benefits from it being illegals are the enforcers and drug dealers. Senseless death in a ridiculous drug war.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I agree that Marijuana should be legalised. It is a plant for heavens sake. How do you criminalize a plant?

This guy, however is not only a pot grower. He is (was) a criminal mind. He was involved in all sorts of illegal activity. If pot were legal, this is the type of guy that would have been doing other illegal stuff.

He had a reputation as an anti-social jerk.

The world is better off without him.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Black Flag
I agree that Marijuana should be legalised. It is a plant for heavens sake. How do you criminalize a plant?

Opium, peyote, hash etc etc etc

Yes the world is better without him but he did not need to take the four mounties with him

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
very tragic.
a great testament to the canadian people that this is the worst in 120 yrs. that's amazing.
one bad apple spoils the bunch. (illuminati 101(.....well....., it IS a conspiracy site!)),
now, MJ is 'responsible' for these deaths. or so the media will make it seem.
the quest for money and power is what caused those deaths, let there be no mistake.

save a cop, .....legalise.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
with a guy like that why would they have only handguns? were they crazy? that makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
This is so sad...
these brave young men gunned down by someone who was a waste of space. He should of just killed himself and not take people who are actully doing something with there lives. Preys are with the familys.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The only reason these types of people are involved with marijuana is because it is illegal, just as the only reason Al Capone was nvolved in booze was due to the prohibiton. The one area where I disagree vehemntly with Bush is in reference to his policy on Marijuana, the only[/b[ reason that marijuana is a "gateway Drug" is because the same people who sell pot either sell the other # too. Legalise the herb and these problems dssapear, I mean you never hear of bacardi employess gunning down cops to move a shipment of rum do you?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My understanding of the incident is as follows:

The assailant, for one, was a regular offender. He had previous weapons charges, operated a chop shop, threatened people, etc. However, when the raid occured, nobody was home. They had the whole nine yards for that- SWAT, dogs, whole deal. But since he wasn't home, they were called back. These four officers were stationed there over night to guard the evidence. Late in the morning (10am), the assailant took a high-powered rifle and picked off one of them. His partner radioed for help, and at least one other person on the scene returned fire. Basically, the officers had no reason to believe they were in danger, and were in patrol blues. The rifle rounds went right through their vests. By the time the CFs and SWAT got there, four men were already dead or mortally wounded.

Sad day for everyone, a national tradjedy.

DE

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey

Originally posted by JohnM

No handguns in Canada, in case you didn't know- at least they were outlawed the last time I was there. I am curious if they were even armed.

For your info. Handguns are not illegal in Canada. I legally have 2 of my own, a 357 mag. and a 9mm. They are mearly restrited to authorized owners and strickly for target use, and/or competition. It is illegal however to carry or otherwise conceal said weapons without a permit. Weapons cannot be purchased without an Fireams Licence this now includes hunting rifles.

PS.. Police services in Canada are no less equiped than those of our Southern neighbours. Note that the article mentions SWAT teams or there equivalent.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
My understanding of the incident is as follows:

The assailant, for one, was a regular offender. He had previous weapons charges, operated a chop shop, threatened people, etc. However, when the raid occured, nobody was home. They had the whole nine yards for that- SWAT, dogs, whole deal. But since he wasn't home, they were called back. These four officers were stationed there over night to guard the evidence. Late in the morning (10am), the assailant took a high-powered rifle and picked off one of them. His partner radioed for help, and at least one other person on the scene returned fire. Basically, the officers had no reason to believe they were in danger, and were in patrol blues. The rifle rounds went right through their vests. By the time the CFs and SWAT got there, four men were already dead or mortally wounded.

Sad day for everyone, a national tradjedy.
Further to this, the Toronto star reported that he had eluded them in a high speed chase the night before, and were wiating for him to return to his farm after having entered it by search warrant. One mountie, had only been on the job only since Feb.14.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join