It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th of July, and not having a basic understanding of your rights.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The thing that has truly terrified me heading into this holiday weekend is the sheer number of people that think the 1st protects them from criticism by other citizens.

Not just regular joe citizen but even veterans who should have at least a slightly better knowledge of the bill of rights.

In another forum I was critical of the UWNT in the world cup and I had veterans going I fought for this country so they could do XYZ, and when I pointed out the 1st protects even speech you don't like I was told how I should sack up and serve the country and learn about the bill of rights. (18 years down 6 to go in my last enlistment with the USAF)

So when I pointed out the Bill of rights is protection for all citizens against the Govt infringing on their rights, it spiraled down even further... I am an incel, live in my moms basement, hate women etc.

I am becoming more afraid for my sons future every day seeing how people do not even have a basic understanding of their rights.

If we as a citizenry don't even know the basics of our rights enshrined in the constitution we are screwed, we will get more and more laws like the Patriot act till we truly are reduced to the level of Serfs, and then it will be to late.

So for the love of all things great about our nation (yea we got some issues but our framework is still the best) if you have kids teach them about the constitution and the bill of rights since apparently the schools don't cover it anymore.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Veterans are as dumb, or as smart, as any other group in society. Spending four years pushing boxes around a warehouse doesn’t make one a constitutional scholar and your average E-3 is far more interested in getting laid and drunk than he or she is in learning more about the bill of rights. The “bro vet” culture is absurdly strong now and has been for the last couple of years. Fueled by the anonymity of the internet and you end up with conversations like you had. Sad, really. .

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

The last thing corporations....the government wants is a population of people with good critical thinking skills. This is why education sucks and it's never going to get better.

George Carlin said it best:

There's a reason why education sucks and its never going to get better

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I think when I get to my last base, I will print up some information and whoever has the misfortune of having me as a supervisor will get quizzed like I was when I first got in.

I had SAC trained killers as my supervisors, and if I couldn't answer basic questions they made my life miserable, didn't realize that things had fallen so far over the years.

I honestly don't understand how you can swear that oath and not understand what you are promising to sacrifice your life to protect.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Yep me and the wife have been discussing how to move forward with our sons education, I cant see handing him over to public education,.. I don't know if we will do private, or home school, or what but public doesn't seem like a good choice.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

It’s nothing a good hazing can’t fix.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Remember it cant be hazing anymore... we can call it creative punishment for failing to meet the standards set by the supervisor... or something like that.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I have come to believe that we need to do more than teach the Constitution and Bill of Rights, we need to teach the principles upon which the Constitution and Bill of Rights were founded... i.e., Natural Law and the absolute inalienable rights which are endowed by our Creator or Nature's God. Without an understanding of the foundational principles, everything is subject to corruption.

Natural Law: The Ultimate Source of Constitutional Law

The most fundamental principle is that we all have the absolute right to do for ourselves and by ourselves and/or with other consenting adults. For example, we have the right to freedom of speech because we can speak for ourselves by ourselves. No one can make us think or believe anything... they can only punish us if we refuse to "obey". It is the government's responsibility and duty to protect and defend our rights to self-determination... i.e., freedom and liberty.

Every violation of our Constitutional rights -- and therefore our Natural Rights -- comes from either ignorance of Natural Law or a willful disregard of Natural Rights.

Unfortunately, too many people want to impose their will on others, and are quite happy -- ecstatic! -- to do it under color of law and the barrel of a government gun.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: dfnj2015

Yep me and the wife have been discussing how to move forward with our sons education, I cant see handing him over to public education,.. I don't know if we will do private, or home school, or what but public doesn't seem like a good choice.

Look into the Trivium. Make sure he learns that. Our Masters learn this from day one.

Eta: It's the method for truth discovery.
edit on 5-7-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

A lot of people compare our current state to 1984. I think a better comparison is Animal Farm.

After the animals revolted and took over the farm, they established a set of rules and wrote them on a wall. Not all animals could read, and little attempt was made to teach them. Over time, the words on the wall were changed. No one knew who was making the changes, and all the animals were told that the rules had always been that way.

top topics

join