It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China warns Philippines to prepare for WAR if Manila drills for oil in South China Sea

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

PHILIPPINE President Rodrigo Duterte said Chinese counterpart China Xi Jinping had warned him there would be war if Manila tried to enforce an arbitration ruling and drill for oil in a disputed part of the South China Sea.

China warns Philippines to prepare for WAR if Manila drills for oil in South China Sea

So China has claimed the entire South China Sea, here is a map to explain it.

Recently it went to arbitration in international court because of China's violations. China said they don't care, refused to participate, and lost the case as they are clearly in the wrong. Despite this China keeps building islands, and lays claim to all the natural resources that belong to the Philippines, as well as every other country that neighbors them and has sea access.

I see China defended over and over as being peaceful here at ATS, but it is clear they are only peaceful when they get what they want.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Screw China. They ruined a perfectly good reef which in essence isn't an island even after all the cement and dirt they poured on it. Here is a short vid from the BBC I found interesting.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
China needs a consequence, like a good swing to the temple to temper them.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I know The Philippines and the US used to have close relations but I'm not too sure about the current state of affairs.

What would the domestic feelings be in the US if there was some sort of armed conflict between China and The Philippines and how do you think the US government would react?

China does seem to be flexing its muscles a bit at present.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I know The Philippines and the US used to have close relations but I'm not too sure about the current state of affairs.

What would the domestic feelings be in the US if there was some sort of armed conflict between China and The Philippines and how do you think the US government would react?

China does seem to be flexing its muscles a bit at present.

I have been to the Philippines and have a few friends from there,

My understanding is that Philippines has good ties with Russia and they have had a few defense related contacts within the last few years regarding the issue with the southern Philippines and ISIS.

Basically Russia assist the Philippines with defense equipment to remove the treat, a threat that was "claimed" would never be gone whilst the USA had troops there, hence Duterte requested all US personnel leave the country.

The south China sea situation has been on going for years, this is just Sabre rattling nothing more. However it is interesting to see the international response to this as if it was a third world or so called tyrannical regime sanctions would be plastered all over them, only time will tell if that will be the case.

thediplomat.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Stupid Chinese, they don't realize the South China Sea is on top of United States oil and that we'll freedom up the Philipines before they do.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Obama destroyed our relationship so they went closer to China. Under Trump things are getting better, but they are still feeling burned by the US.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No it's on top of Philippines oil. Not just oil though, and not just the Philippines. China has laid claim to all natural resources of all it's neighbors.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Petra137

Whoever is telling you that is pulling your leg. That has nothing to do with US troops being there or not. Philippines has moved closer to Russia and China because the Democrats hate Duterte and destroyed US relations by refusing to sell them arms. That is a recent development. The average Filipino likes Russia, but wish to return to better US relations. They like Duterte, but they are very uneasy about his move towards China.

Filipino have a 55% favorable view of Russia, and 85% favorable view to the US. In fact Filipinos have the most favorable view of America in the entire world.

My wife is Filipino, her family for the most part still lives there.
edit on 5-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Whoever is telling you that is pulling your leg. That has nothing to do with US troops being there or not. Philippines has moved closer to Russia and China because the Democrats hate Duterte and destroyed US relations by refusing to sell them arms.

2015 massacre of SAF troops fighting in southern PH
nine.cnnphilippines.com...

From 2016
www.independent.co.uk...

US troops are removed and Russia assists Duterte with defence equipment,
www.rt.com...

From article
According to the deals signed, aside from guns, Russia will ship anti-tank RPGs and military vehicles to the Philippines.The government is also exploring the option of buying Russian armored cars, patrol boats, submarines and helicopters.

Could come in handy when fighting a Guerilla group..

Granted RT link but numerous others posted similar "news"

Late 2018-2019, ISIS are at bare bones bones after intense military intervention in southern PH but are obviously still a threat within the Muslim provinces
www.theguardian.com...

The Long and short of it "from my understanding and experience" is that USA had a strong presence within PH for decades, ISIS somehow started to get a strong foothold esp in Marawi that was totally destroyed and within the region of Mindanao and surrounding Barangay.

Duterte removes US troops in 2016, he moves closer to Russia and gains assistance with defence equipment , and now in 2019 whilst extremist are still there in very small pockets (I guess they always will?) the overall threat has been greatly reduced.

My betting is that he did not want the Philippines to turn into another Syria, granted it would be a totally different kettle of fish as they are a nationalist country but when things start happening away from the strong holds it is another story.

The easy option would have been to request US troops to assist, but as you say due to the Democrtes how was that ever going to work or happen, of course they would not accept a landslide election win for a candidate that was nationalist hence I stated I had heard a quote that the Philippines would not defeat ISIS whilst US troops where there..

edit on 5-7-2019 by Petra137 because: added

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

None of those links support your original post. Duterte moved closer to Russia and China because Obama refused to sell him weapons. That is why the troops were removed. The Democrats wanted to control who the Philippines elected and it screwed up our relations. Much better under Trump.
edit on 5-7-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
China's government has absolutely no morals or ethics. We only support china by buying their goods. Stop buying iphones and other chinese products.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
China will take anything that doesn’t fight them.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
No it's on top of Philippines oil.

Like I said, United States oil.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I know that is what you said, I just don't understand why you said it.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Way ahead of you. It's impossible to fully avoid but I avoid made in China as much as possible.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I agree it is tough and sometimes not possible.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

I agree it is tough and sometimes not possible.

I do actively look though and avoid it whenever possible.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I'm a critic of the US but China IS NOT a nice country. They stole Tibet, they have jailed a whole group of a Muslim minority for indoctrination, they are a dictatorial country and in this case, they are doing what they want to do.

Though the US is probably worse when you add all up.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

I'm a critic of the US but China IS NOT a nice country. They stole Tibet, they have jailed a whole group of a Muslim minority for indoctrination, they are a dictatorial country and in this case, they are doing what they want to do.

Though the US is probably worse when you add all up.

Yes, probably. I mean no reason to back it up, the US clearly claims everything here to Africa.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join