It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bi-Centennial 4th?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Do you remember what you were doing on the 4th of July, 1976???

I remember exactly what I was doing that day!

I almost went to JAIL!!
(and then almost DIED!) (I was all of 13 at the time)

And there's more even!...

I was sitting on my front porch with my buddy Dave, and it was SNOWING to beat the band. We were lighting off firecrackers and flicking them out in the street in front of the house (in a snowstorm). I said I would remember that day for the rest of my life. I was right. I mean, how many people have sat in a snowstorm on the 4th of July? But then again, it was Wyoming, so there's really no such thing as a month where it can't snow. But this wasn't the only reason I would remember that day.

Anyway, we sat there lighting off these firecrackers, commenting on the irony of a snowstorm on the 4th of July. Individual firecrackers got boring after a while, and we had a TON of firecrackers. So, we moved on to lighting off whole packs of firecrackers. That was fun for a while. We also had about 5 gross of bottle rockets too, so we fired those things at each other, and everything else imaginable. Still wasn't enough. Okay, let's set off whole bricks of firecrackers. That was pretty fun. Then the cops rolled up. Someone had called the cops on two kids setting off firecrackers (in a snowstorm) on the 4th of July!! (who would do this??) I even remember the cop's name, it was Ziegler. He had a reputation for being the biggest dick on the police force, and he lived up to his reputation that day!

Ziegler was going to take us to jail. I don't remember what the charge was now, but it was pretty dick-ish even then. Mom intervened somehow and managed to keep us outta' the pokey. Of course this came with a big lecture (from Mom), and we had to promise to clean up all the paper after the snow stopped. So much for lighting off fireworks on the 4th...but it was still early (like 7am...maybe that was part of the problem, I dunno).

I guess it was around 10 o'clock or so when Dave told me about a "stash" he had in a big wash out in the desert behind our houses. He'd managed to score about an almost full fifth of Jack Daniels (I think he raided his parent's liquor cabinet). My contribution to the party was I had a brand new can of Skoal (neither one of us had ever chewed at this point). So we snuck out to the desert and started takin' bumps off the JD (whew...powerful stuff to me back then!). This Jack Daniels stuff was pretty good! So we took a few more bumps. Even more fun! More bumps. Okay, now that's all gone, let's try some of this Skoal stuff.

Wasn't really sure how much Skoal you were supposed to use...so we just decided to split the can 50-50.
Well, this day was turnin' out to be a mighty fine 4th of July after all. I didn't have to walk anymore, I could just float above the ground! In fact, I could soar like an Eagle even!

About the last thing I really remember about the day was...I was standing on the side of the embankment of the wash, singing the National Anthem into this pipe which was sticking out of the ground. I'm not sure what the pipe was for, but it sounded cool and I hoped no one would flush before I got done with my song! Dave thought this was the funniest S# he'd ever seen. The second I turned around following my solo, Dave decided it would be even funnier if he gave me a nut-shot right about then...except he misjudged his distance a little bit and drove my nuts up to about my shoulder before they ricocheted off my collar bone! As I dropped to my knees, I sucked that half can of Skoal from my lip into my gullet and promptly swallowed it, so I could fall over and gasp in agony.

I do remember taking one shoe off while laying curled up in the fetal position on the ground, no idea why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time (probably looking for one of my nuts). That's about the time my entire guts decided to turn inside-out. The JD had tasted pretty good going down, but mixed with the Skoal, it multiplied by a factor of 50x, so the volume coming back the other direction, following the ball crushing, was the entirety of the previous week's groceries.

So yeah...I remember July 4th, 1976 pretty well actually. The full circle of life happened that day, everything from birth to wishing for death (complete with snow, firecrackers, cops, liquor, Skoal, singin' into a pipe, getting kicked in the nuts and blowing sidewalk-pizza in between).

How's that for a memory?
edit on 7/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

do remember taking one shoe off while laying curled up in the fetal position on the ground, no idea why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time (probably looking for one of my nuts

That image is going to be in my head all day and people are going to think I'm insane when I start laughing my ass off for no apparent reason.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Yep, I returned home from overseas wearing my USAF uniform and went to Franks pizza in Silvis, Illinois ( www.tripadvisor.com... ) with family and was greeted by my parents friends and everyone wanted to buy me a drink. People were so kind back in them days.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

How big of an ass whooping did you get for being drunk? I can't imagine it was so easy to hide or that it went over very well.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Well, as I recall it wasn't that bad because two (maybe 3) things...one, I probably blew most of the liquor before it really got into my bloodstream, and two, because I just played it off as being sick. And third, because we were never inside during summertime, so I was out all day suffering the last of it out.

Remember, you had to be tough to be stoopid! LOL!

edit on 7/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I was a young mother to a one year old.

He had a bi-centennial high chair. Cherry wood with a painting of an eagle on the back that said 1776-1976
It probably would be a collectors item now but it went to my second child seven years later and one night we left it outside after a barbecue and it got rained on.
We still used it but it was ruined as far as the design.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Good for you then. It could have been bad. I bet you thought twice about jumping aboard the Skoal train after that.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I may have been conceived around that day.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Oh, I thought twice about a whole lot of stuff after that day!!!

I thought about never riding the Skoal train again, that's for sure!

I thought about what the inside of my stomach really looks like.

I thought about how Dave wasn't really that good of a friend after all.

And I often thought about where I put my shoe! I have no idea WTF I did with my shoe! It was a nice shoe too.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I was 7 years old and my parents took me and my younger sister to a parade in a small town here in Washington State. I don't remember a lot, but the memories I do (think I) have are of being small in a huge crowd of people and feeling uncomfortable, the loud bangs/booms hurt my ears and were scary, and there were Hells Angels there (also scary).

Loud noises still bother me, but unexpected ones are the worst. I don't fall to the ground if I hear a car backfire, but I do get a shot of adrenaline sometimes. I was able to hear the fireworks over Elliot Bay last night, but overall last night was the quietest 4th I can recall, and my windows didn't rattle once from the big booms.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I was sitting in a field at the fireworks in Calumet, right under where they were going off, with a friend called Freddy Bear. We were pretty stoned, hot ashes were raining down on us. It was a great time, after that we went to a couple of bars down in Hancock

The only reason I remember that is because I had burns and holes in my clothes.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

You lost your shoe? What did you tell your parents? I'm sure they had questions.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

You're focused on my parents. They didn't know, okay? They didn't know half or even a quarter of the crazy stuff we did as kids. Did yours???? (Gawd, the stories I could tell about that!!) We were expected to teach ourselves lessons and were granted the freedom to do just that. They weren't helicopter parents, none of our parents were.

As for the shoe; I bought the shoe (it was a leather Adidas shoe with green stripes, BTW). I didn't need permission to buy the shoe, so I didn't seek it out. I went to Sunset Sports and it was on sale, so I bought it (and another one to go along with it even). I don't even know if my parents ever even knew I had those shoes. I wasn't subjected to a regular shoe inspection upon returning home at that age.

As for where it got lost, I have no idea. There was snow, I was sick as a dog and there may have been some stumbling around involved. The shoe got lost. It was the least of my worries at that moment. I was too busy being stupid (and, up to the point of getting sick, having a pretty damn good time doing it too).

My parents didn't know anything about me and Dave going out in the desert that day and getting drunk and stupid. They just didn't. Personally, I'm glad for that. I didn't get into any trouble with my parents. I learned a lesson (several in fact), so I really didn't need any further reinforcement after the fact. I got the message loud and clear all on my own.

So stop worryin' about my parents, okay? Sheesh! LOL!

P.S. - This makes me chuckle (writing this).

ETA - In February of '79, three years later, I spun out and wrecked my Mom's 1 week old 1978 candy apple red Trans-Am on my 16th birthday. And you know what? My parents didn't know about that one either! Why? Because I fixed the damage before they saw it (and fixed it properly). I always knew where the one remaining mark was, but no one else did. And in 1999 my wife and I entered that same car in the Woodward Dream Cruise along Woodward Ave. in Detroit (the biggest classic car show on Earth!) When my wife and I were buffing the car out I showed her the mark and told her the story...swearing her to secrecy forevermore. Mom sold the car 3 years later in 2002 to a collector...and he didn't get told either!

Oh, the deception! Oh, the trickery and deception! LOL!!
edit on 7/6/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/6/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

join