It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California desert town aims to be 'sanctuary city' for gun owners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Linky **Trigger warning for the anti-gun extremists: that link goes to Fox. I don't want to cause anyone extra stress today. It is the 4th of July, after all. I know it's hard enough for some of ya'll**

Something tells me California's liberals will suddenly be against sanctuary cities when it comes to this.

Needles is a town of about 5,000 that borders Arizona and is a few miles from the southern tip of Nevada. Last month, the City Council voted unanimously to declare itself a “2nd Amendment Sanctuary City,” for people who feel California’s strict gun laws tread on their constitutional right to bear arms.

Now they're not really doing much. The 2 main points behind the proposal are:

-to ensure out-of-state gun owners don't get pinged by Cali's ridiculous reciprocity laws if they're legally licensed in their home state and come to California
-to give residents of the town relief from Cali's even more ridiculous new ammo restrictions, particularly the part that bans anyone from bringing ammo into California from out of state.

The ammo law is particularly burdensome to rural residents of east Cali like those in Needles who live far away from ammo sources in California. Needles is right on the Arizona border, so it's much more practical for them to go into Arizona to buy ammo instead of go miles and miles away to buy their ammo in Cali.

Most Needles residents buy their ammunition in neighboring Arizona because the nearest California stores are more than 100 miles away. City leaders want residents to be able to continue purchasing in neighboring states.

Seems reasonable to me. Of course, we all know the anti-gun extremists aren't reasonable and will throw a fit over this. The absurd new ammo law has already been challenged in court and I can't see how it won't get overturned eventually by SCOTUS, but we'll see.

The entire sanctuary debate is complicated because it's not just a matter of whether the states, or in this case localities, have the right to thumb their nose at a higher-level law. It depends on the issue. In this case, California is violating a right guaranteed by the Constitution. In the immigration case, states and cities that refuse to comply with federal law and make themselves sanctuaries are again defying the Constitution, since the federal government is responsible for controlling immigration. These nuances are of course lost on many people. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Goof for Needles and their 5,000 residents!

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't see how there's even the remote possibility that California can know, track or trace, an out of state purchase of ammo being brought into the state via other means besides USPS or other carriers.

The state lines are extremely porous as they should be.

Once it is in the state, POOF...

Criminals will have it easier than those that are law abiding.....as usual. They have no hoops to jump through, nor are they beholden to wait periods.

That puts the advantage into the hands of criminals and puts law abiding citizens at risk.

But whatever, right California???

It FEELS like the right thing to do so screw everyone and everything else.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
I don't see how there's even the remote possibility that California can know, track or trace, an out of state purchase of ammo being brought into the state via other means besides USPS or other carriers.

The state lines are extremely porous as they should be.

Once it is in the state, POOF...

Criminals will have it easier than those that are law abiding.....as usual. They have no hoops to jump through, nor are they beholden to wait periods.

That puts the advantage into the hands of criminals and puts law abiding citizens at risk.

But whatever, right California???

It FEELS like the right thing to do so screw everyone and everything else.

This post could apply to almost any "common sense" gun control laws. They accomplish nothing, but they feel good to the know-nothings who pass this crap. The sad part is all the focus on nonsense like this is a distraction away from real solutions that would save lives. But that would mean listening to the dumb hick gun experts who actually understand the issue well enough to come up with real solutions, and their solutions aren't just another brick in the road to #repealthe2nd so none of these assholes want to listen to us.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Good idea Needles! There are places on the eastern part of the state, north of Needles, that don't really have a lot of options for shopping besides going across the border at times, especially for some big box stores - they may be hours apart. What if someone has been buying ammo there for decades b/c local shops don't carry what they shoot. This (ammo) law seems really thoughtless and is most burdensome to law abiding citizens.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Just move to Slab City. No laws there. The police don't even go there.

top topics

join