It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$200 fine crossing road with earphones on.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I get your stance - after all it took years for mandatory seat belt wearing while in cars. That push came from Insurers to reduce their exposure to claims. They use stats and death toll to frighten everyone into acceptance.

We've been screwed for a long time, they don't build roads wide enough to accommodate increased densities.

They just build more higher density housing lots, less parking, less area, less trees, more revenue,

Surely you'e not saying doing away with all laws?

Common sense was a thing once upon a time, schools now teach less common sense things depending also upon the parents ( which is correct ) to co-assist.

The problem being theres a whole generation of special parents who

1) expect the school to parent the child and
2) "my taxes pay for you to look after my child in all their education needs, not my problem!"

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

originally posted by: Nyiah

But fines for this? Just digging deeper into our pockets. Like their not wrist deep as it is.

Methinks the lady doth protest far too much. Law hits a little close to home, does it? TAKE THE DAMN EARBUDS OUT AND TURN THE PHONE OFF. There, you're not fined $200, easy-peasy.

No worries miss plenty of disposable $.

That right there pegs you as a walking financial disaster in my book. If you want to keep more of your money, you spend it wisely and save the rest. Likewise with fines, if you want to keep your money, you don't go full retard and knowingly GET fined to begin with.

Stop making excuses, you're not that special a snowflake. If you end up fined, t's your own damn fault. Take some responsibility for it.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: musicismagic
Try being a cyclist, its really to begin to be crazy. 9 out of 10 kids are walking with their phones in their hands in the morning on their way to school.
It is really bad here since we live across the street from the high school. I want to make a sign and put it into their face in the morning. The problem is they dont give a #te.

So if school kids get this fine who pays for it? The kids probably won't have the capacity.

So the parents - Wonder after how many fines before the parents are on board with scrapping it?

I think your comment is anti-kids with common sense.

I'm the least "anti-kids" personality i can assure you. But what i am is anti government hands in my pockets and anti stupid decisions and anti morons in general. But most of all anti being told what to do with my own private time. If i wanna cross the roads wearing my headphones so what i will look before i cross the road, it's just basic. Really basic.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
a reply to: CthruU

So you think that “the big, bad government” should not be able to fine you for being a stupid a$$hat as long as you aren’t “hurting anyone “?

That it’s just a grab for more of “your” money?

$200 is too much to pay of a “lack of common sense”, and if you get injured, or killed, as a result of you stupidity, it’s your own dang fault, you get what you deserve?

Yeah, right.

So, let’s say you’re now in the street, broken, bloody, maybe not quite dead yet, a “victim” of your own moment of stupidity (but still with the $200 in your pocket that you didn’t have to pay as a fine!); what happens next?

Think the city just gets to leave your sorry butt in the middle of the road as a hazard to traffic?

If you’re dead, you think they can just leave you rot there like a squashed squirrel?

You’re roadkill, maybe something will drag your carcass off and eat it, right? Or maybe you’re not appetizing enough.

No, most likely what will happen is that the local fire department will be sent out, with EMT’s or paramedics to try to save (or at least clear away) your dumb carcass. Might also send a cop or two to control traffic and take statements. Maybe even send a road crew to clean up the gore and debris you so carelessly left behind on the street.

Considerable time and manpower there.

Who gets to pay for all of that?

Every damn time it happens?

We do, with our “too high already” taxes, that’s who!

And do you think that $200 is going to cover the expense of even one of your “Darwin Moments”?

Not bloody likely!

You don’t want “the government” in your pockets,

Then stay the hell out of MINE!

Geez, take a chill pill and grow up some. Please.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   

But fines for this? Just digging deeper into our pockets. Like their not wrist deep as it is.

Methinks the lady doth protest far too much. Law hits a little close to home, does it? TAKE THE DAMN EARBUDS OUT AND TURN THE PHONE OFF. There, you're not fined $200, easy-peasy.

No worries miss plenty of disposable $.

That right there pegs you as a walking financial disaster in my book. If you want to keep more of your money, you spend it wisely and save the rest. Likewise with fines, if you want to keep your money, you don't go full retard and knowingly GET fined to begin with.

Stop making excuses, you're not that special a snowflake. If you end up fined, t's your own damn fault. Take some responsibility for it.

Incorrect by a country mile i got plenty and i didn't get it by being stupid by any means "financial disaster" lol you have zero idea and better get your CRYSTAL BALL SERVICED its out of tune. I certainly didn't accumulate wealth just to hand it over to the gov for what they think is legitimate behavioural changing tactics.

Your attitude "snowflake" is worthy of a fine it stinks, your not "special" and if thats how you treat people who have a difference of opinion then you need some serious psychological help. "Take some responsibility for it".
edit on 7-7-2019 by CthruU because: 1

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Apparently people are becoming oblivious to the dangers of traffic, too distracted by there phones or music.

Um Yes.

Elizabeth St, Melbourne.

about a decade ago before things were as bad as it is now with people glued to their device many pedestrians, mostly the UNI students that go to the Uni's along Elizabeth st were being hit or having near misses on a too frequent occurrence.

Speed limits kept dropping from 60 to 50 to 40,

It didn't help when a person just appears behind a parked car and walks onto the street looking down at their phone.

Talk about revenue raising. Making ends meet is becoming hard enough without this kinda nonsense.

all fines are revenue raising

I for one think it's a step to far to actually give an infringement for this - especially that sort of $.

failure to vote is the dumbest and the fine has increased 4 fold over the last few elections.

This is a good idea to either scare the idiots who are inattentive of their surroundings due to addictions to their device's or better yet maybe save a life or a serious injury and grief a driver would maybe have if they did hit one of these idiots that is seen all too often in the city centre in Melbourne, at least it was about a decade ago when I was working there and seeing this stupidity with my own eyes.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join