It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th of July Baby (well, calf maybe)!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Last year was a strange year. We bred most of our cows and heifers in May (as usual), but we had a couple of really good cows who were a little under the weather whom we held back. One of them we had to cull, but the other we exposed to the bull in about late September. Before that she wanted nothing to do with a bull due to a hoof issue. (and, believe me, trimming beef cattle hooves are NOT easy!!)

So now she's huge like a whale, as usual (she regularly pumps out 80lb calves). Tonight she's laying down, away from the rest. She's gonna' calve!

When the sun sets, she'll likely go to the furthest spot we have (3-4 miles), and find the lowest draw, in the most inaccessible place...and she'll have her baby calf. Tomorrow, we'll have to go find it (fortunately it's not a snowstorm as usual for her). We'll have to bring the little 80lb wriggling thing to her and, like always, she'll be one of the best Momma's we've got.

I don't know why she doesn't get it at first, but it's just how she is. After she bonds with the calf they are inseparable, and she will babysit most of the other calves.

So...here's to a 4th of July calf!! (latest one I've ever had! Most are late February or early March).

The calf will be black and white. Maybe I should paint some red and blue on his/her momma!

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=24463334]Flyingclaydisk[/postone one of my cows dropped her calf in to a creek lucky you could see it from the road and was spotted i jumped on my bike and shot down there jumped itn and turfed her out the mama just stood there looking give the babe a lick then both trotted of happy as larry weird buggers

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I guess your shoulder is healed up.
Now your gonna hurt your back

Have a Booming 4th of July!

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Sadly, my 'shoulder' is not healed up. I went to the Doc yesterday and it seems I have some thing called a "pleurisy" (or something like that, I don't know). There's apparently a torn blood vessel between my chest wall an my lung...and I'm supposed to lay low.

I'm kind of out of commission. Feels like a broken rib under my armpit, but apparently worse.

I'm a hurtin unit and not much good to anyone. ...and it sucks!! Because I have lots to do.

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Please update us when you spot the new baby! And of course you know I'm gonna say this, but post some pictures of them? 😀😀

Take it easy, FCD! That broken blood vessel thing is no joke. I'm sure it's difficult for you to lay low, but please do until it's safe!
edit on 3-7-2019 by KansasGirl because: is/us

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Awww, a 4th of July baby! Will you name it?

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Well, sort of. It will get a number tag. Probably be # 225.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Dude, that hurts. I had that once and thought I was having a heart attack. Take care of yourself.

Congratulations on the calf, too.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I'll post a pic, just for you!

Can't see nuthin' yet though. Dark as the 'inside of a cow' outside right now. (old saying from Wyoming). I'll get a headlamp and go head out here in a few. Think I might need a coffee first.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yes, yes it does hurt! Makes everything I try to do hurt. I have a pretty high pain threshold, but this sucks! Can't hardly breathe and something like coughing or sneezing makes me want to drop to my knees and cry like a little girl. Feels like someone stabbing me right in the middle of my back and under my armpit.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Just don't overtax yourself. Trust me. You'll be feeling it later.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Update - No calf (yet) this morning. She's not a night calver though. Most of the rest of them are, but she usually calves during the day.

She's definitely ready to go, that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Maybe she's waiting for the fireworks.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yummy

Veal, at its finest

"Viewer discretion is advised"

edit on 4-7-2019 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Pleurisy is BAD.
Infection of lung membrane.
Can be worse than pneumonia.
Take it easy and keep an eye on it.

It is not something to trifle with.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Any news?

Also, how are you feeling? Are you taking it easy?

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

No calf yet. She's making me wait (again)...kinda like ketchup.

I was doing better until yesterday about mid-day when I had to change the blades on the 96" mower deck for the tractor. Layin' on my back horsing that big air impact wrench over my head, and then the air chisel, probably didn't help too much. Wasn't feelin' real spiffy after that. Kinda' went backwards a little, but feeling better today.

edit on 7/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

No calf yet. She's making me wait (again)...kinda like ketchup.

I was doing better until yesterday about mid-day when I had to change the blades on the 96" mower deck for the tractor. Layin' on my back horsing that big air impact wrench over my head, and then the air chisel, probably didn't help too much. Wasn't feelin' real spiffy after that. Kinda' went backwards a little, but feeling better today.

That poor mommy- she must be miserable! If it's anything like human birth (it's probably not), I know that I just wanted it done with, once it had started. Poor girl.

Sorry you're not feeling well either! I thought you might have trouble NOT doing things. Sounds like you need to be tied down for a few days.

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

....you need to be tied down for a few days.

Hmmm...that sounds fun! Not sure about the "few days" part, but the 'tied down' part seems kinda fun! LOL!!

(just kidding)

posted on Jul, 5 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

....you need to be tied down for a few days.

Hmmm...that sounds fun! Not sure about the "few days" part, but the 'tied down' part seems kinda fun! LOL!!

(just kidding)

new topics

top topics

join