It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio police raid nets 1000 pages of classified documents

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Leaks & theft, and blantant disregard has become all too common.
Marijuana & secrets are like oil & water. I guess he spent alot of time 'working from home'. Gee, never heard of thumb drives.?

People become too lax on security protocols and opt for convenience.
Time to pay the piper.

When I worked with top secret and top secret restricted documents we were prohibited from printing, PERIOD. Security protocols were in place which prevented printing and copying to thumbdrives, and using Xerox copiers. Circumventing (which was near suicidal) got you instant termination & draconian like prosecution.

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

In government you fail upwards.
lol

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Marijuana isn't legal in Ohio, I take it.

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

Exactly there on the security protocols. I find it highly irregular that with that in place that he could of made print outs of the docs. Unless he used an exploit to get admin or root access on his computer to bypass the copying to a thumb drive. But there should be some sort of logging place... unless of course no one was looking at the logs. Because there's way too much to be doing besides combing log files.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

There SHOULD have been a secure printer in a vault requiring logged access to get in and out.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Precedent dictates that he was extremely careless without intent in copying 1000 classified documents, if that fails, he simply pleads "I don't recall" then he will be able to keep his security clearance and get a promotion.

The weird part is you are not allowed to "copy" classified material at the level it is suggested. You use the original source and if you need more than one then ALL copies are numbered and stored correctly. When it comes time to destroy them each one is documented as destroyed and so if you had some unknown number floating around as copies you really can't determine if you can account for them.

It is not only him but where he works and the processes that are missing to even allowed near a copy machine with classified. On all the copy machines there should be a sign reading "DO NOT COPY CLASSIFY", so even having the ability to copy is troublesome and people are going to lose their jobs.

In his case he is either an eccentric genius or was building his retirement nest egg.

edit on 4-7-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

That is for sure.
Everyone in his circle
will have the Central Scrutinizer
treatment.
When the vise gets tightened,
some nuts will crack.

I think the problem may get worse
as you have a young generation that doesn't
take anything seriously except gaming.
I met one from Electric Boat recently.
Really need to keep an eye on these guys
and how they handle their clearances.

edit on 4-7-2019 by Wildmanimal because: Typo/Add Content

edit on 4-7-2019 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

So the government has awful DLP (data loss prevention) controls, who knew....

In all seriousness though, this is the #1 recommendation that we make to clients in regards to cyber security. Institute and maintain a DLP solution and monitor it constantly, doesn't completely mitigate stuff like this but it sure makes it a lot more difficult.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

My brother talks about the work they do to secure networks for various companies. They see some insane things when it comes to security.

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Yeah it's quite shocking actually, you would think these big corporations or even government for that matter would get the memo that breaches are a major issue. However they can be prevented with really minor blocking and tackling in most cases, we go in to consult at clients and really it's some of the most basic recommendations that we give them. Although I will say a lot of them invest in a solid tech stack...just not enough manpower or knowledge to utilize them to the potential where they could mitigate things like these.

See it a lot in healthcare, sure they have a DLP solution checking for PHI and PII, but if you run that stuff through Google translate it'll never even register on the tool. Block translation services like that, solve that problem, takes about 20 seconds at most to implement the rule change.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 Love to know if these documents were being sent to Russia China etc or to The Clintons Bushes Obama's etc.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Police in the Dayton, Ohio area raided the home of Izaak Vincent Kemp last month, searching for a marijuana growing operation. During the raid they found 1,000 pages of documents, many stamped Top Secret. Kemp is a contractor working at the National Air and Space Intelligence Center. The center is known for doing foreign exploit work, which determines how foreign weapons systems work and determining any weakness in them.

The documents were classified as Special Access Programs, meaning there should have been extra security measures to protect them. According to government sources, Kemp said that he printed the documents and took them home for safe keeping.

www.forbes.com... 3

Wow, it sounds like this dude was a moron. Who does that? A very long time ago, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I had a top secret clearance when I was active duty Navy. I never would have thought to do something this stupid, even when I was drunk off my ass. I hope they put this idiot in prison and throw away the key.
edit on 7/6/2019 by ChiefD because: Stupid virtual keyboard

top topics

<< 1   >>

join