It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fourteen sailors killed as a result of fire on deep-sea submersible, Russia’s Defense Ministry say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Fourteen crew on board a Russian Defense Ministry submersible were killed after a fire broke out, the ministry was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.

The deep-sea research vessel was carrying out a military survey in Russian territorial waters, it was quoted as saying.

The incident took place on Monday and the fire has been extinguished. The submersible is now at the Russian Northern Fleet's base in Severomorsk on the Barents Sea, and an investigation has been launched to establish the cause, Interfax and the state-run RIA and TASS news agencies quoted the ministry as saying.

Fourteen sailors killed as a result of fire on deep-sea submersible, Russia’s Defense Ministry says

Sad news and can't imagine a worse way to go. RIP.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT
Nuclear powered with a normal crew of 25 officers.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Was about to post this. Crazy.

14 Russian sailors perish in Russian nuclear sub fire

Fourteen sailors died when a fire erupted aboard a Russian navy nuclear submarine conducting a survey of the sea floor in the country’s territorial waters, officials said.

The Losharik — an AS-12 deep-sea nuclear mini-sub – was carrying out a military survey when the fire broke out Monday night, according to the Moscow Times, which cited a report in the Russian RBC news site.

May be unrelated, but the VP was recalled from AF2.

Vice President Mike Pence abruptly cancels New Hampshire trip, goes to White House
edit on 2-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

Fourteen sailors died when a fire erupted aboard a Russian navy nuclear submarine conducting a survey of the sea floor in the country’s territorial waters, officials said.

The Losharik — an AS-12 deep-sea nuclear mini-sub – was carrying out a military survey when the fire broke out Monday night, according to the Moscow Times, which cited a report in the Russian RBC news site.

[url-www.cnbc.com...]Vice President Mike Pence abruptly cancels New Hampshire trip, goes to White House[/url]

I am seeing some reports on Twitter connecting the two.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

[url-www.cnbc.com...]Vice President Mike Pence abruptly cancels New Hampshire trip, goes to White House[/url]

I am seeing some reports on Twitter connecting the two.

Would they really recall the VP to Washington for something like that? Unless there's way more to that fire than is being reported.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

It was a nuclear powered sub. I'm sensing there could be more to this than has been let on so far. Take this with a pinch of salt but one comment I've seen was

We're going to find out a Russian nuclear submarine just blew up and irradiated the entire Atlantic Ocean from a badly phrased, mis-spelt Trump tweet.

Tweet

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

-@VP cancelling his trip and heading back to the White House
-Putin about to hold an unexpected meeting with his defence minister
-Maybe something happening at the EU too

All a bit odd. May all be nothing. Maybe not. Don’t panic.

UK Defence Journal reporter

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

All under control now.

False alarm at Pease Air National Guard Base following reports of an active shooter.

Putin holds unexpected meeting with defence minister following deadly nuclear sub fire.

Both events completely unrelated, but occurring in similar time periods. (Sub fire was on Monday "night" - assume time over in Russia)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Maybe so but the only report of the shooter false alarm I've seen was the one linked in your other thread. I think this story may have legs yet.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This is what happens when you're poor but trying to be a super power.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I guess we can work out what is going on at the EU.

Donald Tusk says the European Council has agreed on the future leadership of EU institutions with Belgian prime minister Charles Michel named as his replacement as the council president and German defence minister Ursula von der Leyen nominated as European Commission president

Sky News

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I regret the loss of life especially if they were on a peaceful mission. These type of accidents will happen and we've only just begun to explore the oceans. It's known that Russian naval equipment is old and outdated and these incidents will continue.

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 02:08 AM
link   
sad. my condolences to those affected
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Looks like there might be some conspiracy talk surrounding this.
Apparently a Russian Military Official stated at the funeral that the Sailors saved lives and avoided planetary catastrophe.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA
Apparently a Russian Military Official stated at the funeral that the Sailors saved lives and avoided planetary catastrophe.

I heard this. Sounds a little hyperbolic, but what if there is actually something to it?

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MorpheusUSA

Almost everyone I've read today is confused as hell by those comments. Even if the sub had exploded, the release would have been significantly lower then Chernobyl, so it appears that it was just hyperbole.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA

It could be accurate, if we only knew all of the facts surrounding what happened, as in maybe the catastrophe avoided wasn't related directly to the sub's nuclear reactor.

top topics

join