It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Just Me...or has Pizza..???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Chain companies somehow always seen to drop in quality, no?

Seems to me that there are multiple aspects at play: As DFT suggested; we are getting older, and our taste buds are changing.
But the cost-cutting/profit-gaining choices made by the chain restos, has given us cardboardish delivery pizza.

Their profits increase, they spend a fortune on tantalizing commercials, then disappoint time after time.
How does that business-model even work?

Perhaps we have stumbled-upon the the weakest link, that will be downfall of all Capitalism!!!! (Just kidding LoL).

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It all went down hill when some fool put pineapple on a pizza.

I've been to New York and had their thin crust version.
I've been to Chicago and had their deep dish version.
Both claim to be the best but both are wrong.
Pizza is a personal choice like bbq and beer.

You need to consider that these chains are just fast food restaurants.
The best pizza is from a mom and pop restaurant.
I also make my own that is better than any chain variety.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: CriticalStinker

No mercy. This is the Cobra Kai of pizza admonishments; stop eating that crap and those chains will go away. Then you can support your local establishment and get better pizza.

What my body and it's impulses do after going into alcohol hypnosis that involve but not limited to... Slices of pizza and fake garlic "butter", is none of your business. Sir. lol.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'm gonna sweep you mofo'ing leg.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm gonna sweep you mofo'ing leg.

Please don't... If you mess up my bunk knee more, how will I know when it's going to snow?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

We have a couple local mom&pop style pizza places here. Best pizza I ever had and way better than the big name pizza chains.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I blame Oprah...and her disgusting cauliflower pizza dough.

Who DOES that?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I paied 30$ for a pizza yesterday not pizzas no just 1 single 18 in pizza

It was good to

What you think a real hand made pizza cost 12 bucks lol consider what it would cost you to do it right than add labor if your pizza is less than that they cut corners somewhere

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

You said papa john and Domino's used to have good pizza...... What's next? Little ceasars?? Blasphemy!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
Chain companies somehow always seen to drop in quality, no?

Seems to me that there are multiple aspects at play: As DFT suggested; we are getting older, and our taste buds are changing.
But the cost-cutting/profit-gaining choices made by the chain restos, has given us cardboardish delivery pizza.

Their profits increase, they spend a fortune on tantalizing commercials, then disappoint time after time.
How does that business-model even work?

Perhaps we have stumbled-upon the the weakest link, that will be downfall of all Capitalism!!!! (Just kidding LoL).

I think it's the classic long con - bait and switch. Come out with an awesome pizza. Serve it until it has a great reputation but relatively small. Then expanpand like CRAZY, selling franchises and opening corporate stores. Then over time drop the quality, maybe all the stores or just corporate or franchise. Focus on marketing to make people hungry for it and serve up a degraded product at much higher profit margins. People will keep buying b/c they see the pics and they remember what it used to taste like. Maybe every so often they send out the original ingredients for a month or so, just to keep em coming back. They'll say "it must be the cooks". It couldn't be a corporate wide racquet.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I found one I South Carolina, I don’t know what’s in your area but I like Massey’s. see the link below.

www.masseyspizza.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I make pizza for a living at my own shop. I'd like to think it's good. Are you in Washington? There's great pizza all over, imo.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
We have gas stations here called Casey's. Its more like a convenient store really. But if you have not tried their pizza, you need to. Its the best a "chain" pizza can get IMO. Other than that, I agree that the mom and pop pizza joints are the best. Although, Mr. Gattis still ranks up there with my favorites.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

how will I know when it's going to snow?

Move back to Upstate, NY.

edit on 7/2/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

We are eating fake Pizza

www.mirror.co.uk...

Officers visited 20 outlets in Lancashire for the food sampling operation and performed tests on ingredients used in hundreds of pizzas sold to customers. Each premises failed on descriptions of the ham, cheese, or both. The report revealed 19 out of 20 samples were found to contain “analogue cheese” - an artificial cheesy substance that is much quicker and cheaper to produce than real cheese. Inspectors found 10 out of the 15 pizzas that purported to contain ham actually contained turkey DNA. Four samples that were advertised as containing pepperoni were found to contain “species in addition to beef or pork”.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Pizza in England is mostly #! I have had about a handful of great ones in my 33 years here. Well I didn't taste pizza til I was around 16 so, technically 17 years.

Dominos in the UK to me is actually one of the better chain pizzas, I don't like Pizza Hut at all, i'd rather have a frozen pizza than that overpriced #e. Papa johns is god awful.
There are a few non chained places that do a half decent pizza but there are either one of two problems I come across with almost all pizza, the first is really crappy tasting base, obviously not fresh and something I wouldn't feed my dog, or mozzarella that tastes of literally nothing.

When it's good though, dear God it's good!!!
edit on VamTuesday21am731 by valiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I blame frozen blobs of dough and ingredients that are not fresh. Get your pizza from a small mom-n-pop joint, and it is usually a whole lot better than one from a chain.

Better yet, make your own at home. If you have a bread machine, making the dough is a cinch--about three minutes of work, followed by pressing the GO button.

If you have a local farmer's market, get your tomatoes, etc., there. Produce sold in most grocery stores in the US is picked early to allow for processing and shipping; as a result, it has no flavor because it ripens off the plant. Get your sausage and other meats fresh from a butcher. Even if all this costs a little more, it is worth it.

Most mom-n-pop pizza shops do it this way.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Dominos never rocked. Just no! In my youth, I worked pizza delivery. It was a most fun job. Made it to manager, which was also fun. It was a chain pizza place run by a Scientologist who claimed in the franchise manual he operated the business under Scientologist principles, which put me at odds, because at the time I identified with Shatnerology.

Anyway, I saw the changes happen as they did. We once made our own dough right there in the store; we once made our own sauce right there in the store; we once shredded our own cheese, mushrooms, bell peppers and such right there in the store, until one day when we started receiving our dough pre made and our cheese blocks were replaced by frozen cheese beads. We no longer used screens. We used pans. Now, I prefer pan pizza to screen pizza, but this new dough was terrible.

When we were making the dough right there in the store, you had to follow the formula to the exact letter and number. It's baking and there's no room for error. When we got a new franchise owner, he wasn't one to care about baking and never followed the formula to the letters or numbers, and his crust would stick to the screens, so when the oven tender tried to take the pizza off the screen with a spatula, he or she would destroy the pizza, but New Owner would send it out anyway. We lost a lot of business. One time, we ran out of pepperoni because he 420d out andforgot to order any. Bake the dough! Not your brain!

And then he went broke, his wife left him, he went on to work with the illegals for cash and avoided the IRS for 10 years. He made it, and during all that time, the pizza business in general suffered from cheapniss, as Frank Zappa put it. Cheese isn't cheese anymore. Dough isn't as good as it was. It's just awful.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My all time favorite pizza came from 1 of 2 local take out only shops that have long since closed down. At this point, for chain I probably like Papa Murphy's the best and Donato's for ready to eat. They opened up a Giordano's downtown and as much as I like deep dish, I found it underwhelming.

Now if I really get a jones going, I can drive back to my old college town and get some Mother Bear's. That's some stuff.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The wife bought a pizza card from the radio station here, ten pizzas free with the pizza card which she paid twenty five bucks for. They are all local higher quality small pizza joints, the pizzas were pretty good one topping large pizzas. I have problems with eating pizza, the tomatoes give me problems, but they were good pizzas so I did get side effects from eating them.

Most of the big chain pizza places around here suck and a couple of the mom and pop pizza joints are not good either. There is about a hundred forty to a hundred sixty bucks of pizza for the twenty five bucks, but we usually do not use all of them, last year we had one left over, this year two went to waste.

The wife has no problem with pizza, I never ate much pizza because I have problems with it but since we retired, I eat some of the pizza instead of ordering something else. Keeps the cost of the food bill down now that we have less income. I prefer just not to go, but the daughters never have time to go with her. I just made homemade pizza last night, using the muir Glenn organic pizza sauce, is that sauce good, but I still get problems with it, organic or not I am intolerant. If the tomato products are great, it is worth the suffering occasional.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join