It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy HK: Violent Protests against 22yrs of China rule - British Colonial Remorse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Back in 1842 China surrendered the isle of Hong Kong to the British, ending the Opium War.

Apparently in 1997 China took it back.

On the 22yrs anniversary, protests are turning violent. Perhaps they want to be a British colony again? Otherwise all this violence is just against extradition law which has been around already for the past 22yrs so why NOW?

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tulsi

First China didn't take anything back - in the sense of political strength. The city was given upon completion of "treaty/lease".

The protests are because HK has a totally different culture than China. It's more liberal and tolerant, MUCH more so. It allows religion, many of which are completely banned in the mainland where the practitioners are imprisoned in slave labor camps or sent to re-education/slave labor camps. There's a lot more issues, but they all have to do with the fear of loosing the freedom of a liberal western city and becoming a totalitarian communist run city like the rest of China.

They are afraid that over 1/3-1/2 of the population would immediately be at risk of extradition because they all are involved with something about which the communist government either frowns upon or out right forbids.

So the protests are a form of self preservation not only of way of life, but personal protection from ending up in a prison cell or slave labor camp.

Oh, and the law wasn't around 22 years ago or at least it wasn't able to be imposed in the same manner.
edit on 7 1 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Nobody.

Nobody.

Nobody feels 'British Colonial ' remorse.

Ask around.

πŸ˜‰

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   
What are you talking about. Explain what "British Colonial" remorse is. Are you saying British people don't feel remorse for their colonies or that colonies don't regret being colonized?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
www.youtube.com... say what you want about protests but this was a pretty cool site from the protests earlier in the week
and more or less the protestors have been more effective then not at getting the government to at least back peddle on a few issues but i guess that was just talk?

www.bbc.com...

Striking U-turn' Analysis by Helier Cheung, BBC News, Hong Kong It was a striking U-turn from a leader who previously struck a defiant tone. Mere days ago, Ms Lam had vowed to press ahead with the unpopular legislation – now she has promised to "listen to different views from society". But for many protesters, the damage has already been done, and the move to delay - but not cancel - the legislation is unlikely to assuage their concerns. One protester told me he believed the government was "trying to divert attention away until opposition calms down - and then they'll try to re-do the whole process again". Others said they would still take part in a march against the proposal planned for Sunday. "Our final goal is to cancel the law, not to pause it. I think there will still be many people coming out tomorrow," a student leader told me.
so yeah that was the situation on the 15th of june

fortune.com... gives a good overview of the issue

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   
May the fight against tyranny and forced occupation amplify exponentially.

Long live freedom.

Hong Kong continue to enlighten the passive in society.

Lot's of lessons to be learnt on display.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

Nobody.

Nobody.

Ask around.

πŸ˜‰

British Colonial Flag & Union Flag waved by demonstrators inside HK Parliament.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

Nobody.

Nobody.

Ask around.

πŸ˜‰

Except the british themselves. Hopefully.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Why on earth would I feel any remorse whatsoever for the UK's 'colonial past'?
It had absolutely nothing to do with me and I assure you neither I or any of my ancestors have benefitted from it.

Do you think modern day French, Spaniards, Portuguese, Belgians etc feel any sort of remorse?
What about the descendants of the Mongols, Incas, Persians, etc?

Every one of them had empires that were built on the defeat, subjugation, suffering and exploitation of other peoples, nations and/or civilisations.

The sins of the fathers are NOT passed on.....unless of course you happen to be British!

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
First China didn't take anything back - in the sense of political strength. The city was given upon completion of "treaty/lease".

It was a rather moronic agreement where Hong Kong was leased to the British for 150 years. As the expiration date approached, China made it clear that there was no way the lease was going to be renewed or extended. So, Britain arranged to give it back to Chinese control.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

A no-win situation for the UK;
Let China take control of Hong Kong and be accused of deserting the people who lived there and who wanted things to remain as they were or refuse to do so and be accused of reneging on the deal and engaging in neo-colonialism.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

Long live freedom.

Freedom is an illusion. We are all slaves.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Let China take control of Hong Kong and be accused of deserting the people who lived there and who wanted things to remain as they were or refuse to do so and be accused of reneging on the deal and engaging in neo-colonialism.

It is a bit more complicated in that part of the handover was a recognition from China that Hong Kong was different to the rest of China and that certain rights existed that (perhaps!) didn't in mainland China itself - something that China agreed with and to carry on with.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

It had absolutely nothing to do with me and I assure you neither I or any of my ancestors have benefitted from it.

Do you think modern day French, Spaniards, Portuguese, Belgians etc feel any sort of remorse?

Every one of them had empires that were built on the defeat, subjugation, suffering and exploitation of other peoples, nations and/or civilisations.

The sins of the fathers are NOT passed on.....unless of course you happen to be British!

Hear, hear.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I don't know (sarc) we're not talking about "french,spaniards,portugese,belgiums,descendants of mongals,incas,persians,etc" though are we?

I can assure you the Queens collective wealth from all her fingers in all her pies has benefited you- you have free health service (who pays for that), you may have never personally? - collected welfare but ancestors have (who pays for that) where does all this wealth come from?- colonialisation and taxes accordingly.

British Colonial "sins of the fathers" were still british sins weren't they.

I was replying to 4891morphif who was saying "nobody" should feel remorse for British colonialisation but surely the way the union jack ended up displayed on so many countries flags and they then declared part of the Commonwealth through invasion/colonialisation should be grounds for "remorse" at least if a individual is emotionally intact that is.

Even in Australia seen as you want to use other countries as a example a past prime minister( i think from memory it was John Howard) said sorry (showed "remorse") for the stolen generation which was a attempt by colonialisation to intergrate aborigines into white culture by stealing children from aboriginal families and trying to brainwash them to be as per the new system.

The "sins of the fathers" are often passed on if the fathers where not evolved enough to feel /show "remorse" for their "sins" at least in the victims eyes, this is why a westerner cannot set foot in some countries less that westerner be bulletproof.

It's not an attack on you personally, is it? Just saying that british remorse should be felt by the british.

If you don't feel it. Fair enough.

The HKese don't want to be british, they want to be free to be HKese. The flying of the British flag in there parliament is nothing more than showing defiance to china in the most offensive way.

Geez. I'd like to say narrow minded to the extreme but i wont. Lol

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

originally posted by: CthruU

Long live freedom.

Freedom is an illusion. We are all slaves.

Duhhhhhh, hence my post. But thanks for spelling out the blatantly obvious.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Hear, hear.

Geez, another one.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

These colonies think they want independence but as soon as they get it the people just can't wait to get back to their colonial rulers...................... Check this out in the news today. Don't know what to make of it but they just can't help themselves but try to get back with the British

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

It is a bit more complicated in that part of the handover was a recognition from China that Hong Kong was different to the rest of China and that certain rights existed that (perhaps!) didn't in mainland China itself - something that China agreed with and to carry on with.

I don't think anybody with half a brain thought that China would maintain the separate systems forever.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I agree. That is the problem in America, white people need to be guilty about past slavery we had nothing to do with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join