It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Empire & second class citizens - where are they?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I was watching a video of some guy filming in Tokyo and a Japanese guy tells him he can't film (an American) even though it was in the middle of a business district. The American questioned him about why b/c it was in a public setting but in the end he acquiesced and stopped filming b/c he didn't want to start any problems. Now after hearing 30+ years about how evil America is and how oppressive it is, I've learned a lot since then, a lot about how previous empires treated those who were not members of the "ruling" empire nation. Japan is a good example and all we have to do is look at Korea and China to hear the stories of how they were degraded and treated worse than animals by the Japanese while under rule of their empire.

The Japanese treated Korea as basically a stepping stone and a source for slave labor for hundreds of years, as well as sexual slavery. There were probably VERY few Koreans who could have told a Japanese citizen what to do - like not filming - and those were probably members of royal families or top politicians IF they even had this power. I'm guessing there would be consequences for telling a Japanese what to do in Korea, largely b/c of their honor code and the way they view power structures.

This same type of second class citizens was seen throughout many previous empires, Mongol and Islamic empires, British empire and I'm guessing the Spanish, Portuguese and French empires had similar methods of rule in their colonies.

Now compare this to how Americans act and the the way "client" countries are allowed to operate. As far as I know, I have no "American" privilege when I go to any foreign country. I have to follow the laws just like the locals. The only benefit I MIGHT have is getting help from an embassy if I were to be arrested, they might try to help me find an attorney.

So I'd like all the people who talk schyitt about the US and how evil we are to tell me why the US is just so evil and if they would rather have the empires of old to rule over them, to take the prime spots of land & historic buildings as their play places - or desecrate or destroy them. Or would you like to loose ALL religious freedoms and have your religious sites razed or replaced with signs of American power. How would you like to loose ALL of your historical tradition as well as have your education system destroyed and not be allowed to be educated at all? Maybe be forced to wear "American" attire/dress and outlaw any form of traditional dress? As far as I know, that doesn't happen but you'd never know that by listening to the complainers.

I can tell you one thing, you are going to see a PRIME example of what it is like to be ruled by the sword if you allow China to take over your country (I'm looking at you South Africa), and they won't be as considerate while extracting their pound of flesh for their investments and they'll even take out interest.

So, what previous empire would you rather have "rule over you" or colonize your land than the US? Do you even consider the US as colonizers if they are creating businesses in your country - or is it only when masses of people move to your country and try to completely change your culture?

edit on 7 1 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: Updated 3rd to last paragraph - added info

edit on 7 1 2019 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
America ain't perfect, but there are very few places I'd rather be all things considered.

We are largely a classless society. We really don't have true "blue bloods" anymore and if you are successful and learn the social norms, you can easily become one. People aren't trapped by birth.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
America ain't perfect, but there are very few places I'd rather be all things considered.

We are largely a classless society. We really don't have true "blue bloods" anymore and if you are successful and learn the social norms, you can easily become one. People aren't trapped by birth.

I have to agree about not being perfect. The way I feel about America is similar to how I feel about family when other people make fun of my family. I'm allowed to do it but you can't. I do it b/c I know them so well and it is largely in jest or even out of a "twisted" love, or just plain sarcastic. I can point out the faults, but it's not cool when others do.

Now with a nation, I think it's fair to point out faults b/c it's good to know what others think and how we are seen. But when it comes from hypocrisy and they are actually pizsed about it, then that's just plain BS. Tell us so we know, b/c it's often hard to see the (size/shape of the) forest while standing in the middle of it. If things can be made better through constructive criticism, maybe b/c another country went through something in the past, then great, but don't just bash b/c your not "top dog".

I think Americans are fully aware of their own problems, where many empires of the past seems WAY more arrogant than what I have seen - though this is only through reading about historical accounts.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Anyone who hasn't served in the military is a second class citizen. Just paying taxes and obeying the laws is not good enough.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Anyone who hasn't served in the military is a second class citizen. Just paying taxes and obeying the laws is not good enough.

You sure come up with some zingers! I don't understand how you can be so on point on some subjects but SO far off on others.

Aren't you the one who complains about military spending already? How would you like to have 30-50 million in service? How would that work? What would that cost after you factor in salary, GI bill, pension, health care, etc?

I can safely say that there are many in the military who I wouldn't consider "first class" citizens and had to get waivers for being repeat criminals (and not just petty things) - I think it's called moral waiver (as of 2018 they were in use by all 4 branches). There are many people who never served who have done more for the country than many in the military. People who have done things that you'll never hear about or have any knowledge of.

The misguidedness of your statement is really astounding.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   
No history of any country is free from atrocity. I just don’t care about most of them because the people alive today weren’t involved. We need to be looking forward because what really matters is how we learn from history and what happens next.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   

American Empire ? What's that then?

I can't find it on this list.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   

If we want to really consider where second class citizens are? - we unfortunately despite who we are or where we're from for 99.9% of humanity only need to do one thing -
(If only it was not true)

Look in the mirror.

GD

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Thank you, Mr. Heinlein. I served, BUT, that's not how it should work. I

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   
About two years ago, when I was in Egypt visiting this great country with its great hospitable people I found that they really were angry with our policies. They said USA had been killing millions of people in the North Africa and the Middle East under the excuse of spreading democracy and fighting against terror. Egyptians believed US had been creating and supporting many terrorist groups and dictatorships all over the North Africa and the Middle East.
I am ashamed of being American!

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I was watching a video of some guy filming in Tokyo and a Japanese guy tells him he can't film (an American) even though it was in the middle of a business district. The American questioned him about why b/c it was in a public setting but in the end he acquiesced and stopped filming b/c he didn't want to start any problems. Now after hearing 30+ years about how evil America is and how oppressive it is, I've learned a lot since then, a lot about how previous empires treated those who were not members of the "ruling" empire nation. Japan is a good example and all we have to do is look at Korea and China to hear the stories of how they were degraded and treated worse than animals by the Japanese while under rule of their empire.

The Japanese treated Korea as basically a stepping stone and a source for slave labor for hundreds of years, as well as sexual slavery. There were probably VERY few Koreans who could have told a Japanese citizen what to do - like not filming - and those were probably members of royal families or top politicians IF they even had this power. I'm guessing there would be consequences for telling a Japanese what to do in Korea, largely b/c of their honor code and the way they view power structures.

This same type of second class citizens was seen throughout many previous empires, Mongol and Islamic empires, British empire and I'm guessing the Spanish, Portuguese and French empires had similar methods of rule in their colonies.

Now compare this to how Americans act and the the way "client" countries are allowed to operate. As far as I know, I have no "American" privilege when I go to any foreign country. I have to follow the laws just like the locals. The only benefit I MIGHT have is getting help from an embassy if I were to be arrested, they might try to help me find an attorney.

So I'd like all the people who talk schyitt about the US and how evil we are to tell me why the US is just so evil and if they would rather have the empires of old to rule over them, to take the prime spots of land & historic buildings as their play places - or desecrate or destroy them. Or would you like to loose ALL religious freedoms and have your religious sites razed or replaced with signs of American power. How would you like to loose ALL of your historical tradition as well as have your education system destroyed and not be allowed to be educated at all? Maybe be forced to wear "American" attire/dress and outlaw any form of traditional dress? As far as I know, that doesn't happen but you'd never know that by listening to the complainers.

I can tell you one thing, you are going to see a PRIME example of what it is like to be ruled by the sword if you allow China to take over your country (I'm looking at you South Africa), and they won't be as considerate while extracting their pound of flesh for their investments and they'll even take out interest.

So, what previous empire would you rather have "rule over you" or colonize your land than the US? Do you even consider the US as colonizers if they are creating businesses in your country - or is it only when masses of people move to your country and try to completely change your culture?

You've never been I. The oil industry, have you?

Any American in the oil industry overseas will tell you how much of a privileged lifestyle they lead. Particularly in Africa and the middle east. An American in Saudi can expect to be able to bypass all sorts of laws and restriction that effect locals, from consuming alcohol to uncensored internet access.

My own personal experiences in Asia are that Americans can essentially live in a parallel world to locals with different laws and expectations on them.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichaelAdams
About two years ago, when I was in Egypt visiting this great country with its great hospitable people I found that they really were angry with our policies. They said USA had been killing millions of people in the North Africa and the Middle East under the excuse of spreading democracy and fighting against terror. Egyptians believed US had been creating and supporting many terrorist groups and dictatorships all over the North Africa and the Middle East.

I am not a born American. If you are and you are ashamed, I suggest you leave pronto. Plain and simple, you don't belong here.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

American society is very much separated into classes. It's willful blindness if you don't see it.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

I think you mean the homeless folks living on the streets?

other than the homeless, to whom, exactly are you referring?

Do you have some facts or just "feelz"?

I've lived in the USA my whole life and have been to every State but Alaska.

who are these second class citizens you speak off?

(been homeless too, So I have lived with these folks)

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I think that the wealthy liberal elite may disagree with you on there not bring an upper class, and the poor urban black/poor rural whites would disagree with you about there not being a lower class.

Personally, I've always been middle class.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
a reply to: peskyhumans

I think you mean the homeless folks living on the streets?

other than the homeless, to whom, exactly are you referring?

Do you have some facts or just "feelz"?

I've lived in the USA my whole life and have been to every State but Alaska.

who are these second class citizens you speak off?

(been homeless too, So I have lived with these folks)

Clinton and Epstein, and all of their cohorts. Americas liberal upper class elite right there.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

I am not a born American. If you are and you are ashamed, I suggest you leave pronto. Plain and simple, you don't belong here.

Your solution is to run away from a bad system, rather than to attempt to change it for the better?

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Your solution is to run away from a bad system, rather than to attempt to change it for the better?

You're the one that thinks it's a bad system. I don't. Your shame seems to come from what you heard people in Egypt say. Egypt is not exactly a shining example of live and let live.

I've been to Egypt several times myself as well as other African countries, Middle Eastern countries, Asia and the Americas. Wherever I go, I don't discuss politics. I am as cordial as possible and I encounter very cordial people. I don't gloat about being American and I don't bow down to the locals. When traveling, you represent America. Are you a decent person? If you are, let that be enough to show that there is more to America than war.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

I think that the wealthy liberal elite may disagree with you on there not bring an upper class, and the poor urban black/poor rural whites would disagree with you about there not being a lower class.

Personally, I've always been middle class.

So you are saying that lower income folks cannot make it rich in America??

Even, if lets say they won the lotto and got 10 million dollars, they are poor so must stay poor?

what ARE you trying to say??

Do some folks think they are better than others? Sure, are they. No.

Just like feeling insecure doing something for the first time, you learn and move on to BETTER things.

I know folks that think I am "smart" because I love to read, I'll read almost anything (cept westerns)

I tell them I just have a larger data set to pull from. Anyone that reads about a million books can do the same thing, just not everyone HAS read a million books.

new topics

top topics

join