It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picking and choosing which laws to follow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
There are laws that don't make sense. There are laws that make perfect sense, but are largely ignored. And there are laws that make sense and are upheld regularly. Why is there a difference? Shouldn't all laws be treated the same, and if found unjust, change the law, not the circumstances?

Here is one example:

Whether it’s by crossing the U.S. border with a "coyote" or buying a fake U.S. passport, a foreign national who enters the U.S. illegally can be both convicted of a crime and held responsible for a civil violation under the U.S. immigration laws. Illegal entry also carries consequences for anyone who might later attempt to apply for a green card or other immigration benefit. The penalties and consequences get progressively more severe if a person enters illegally more than once, or enters illegally after an order of removal (deportation) or after having been convicted of an aggravated felony.

For the first improper entry offense, the person can be fined (as a criminal penalty), or imprisoned for up to six months, or both. For a subsequent offense, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both. (See 8 U.S.C. Section 1325, I.N.A. Section 275.)

www.alllaw.com...

So if this law was followed and treated like a real law, then those who break it would be punished and likely more might pay attention to the rules and follow them a bit better.

The question is:
if we can ignore this law largely, why aren't all laws ignored largely? I'd like to hear the logic on this.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Good question.
There is a guy in New York defending his home from invaders that got arrested because his gun wasnt registered.

New York doesn't arrest people that aren't registered..

Feelings,,,
Nothing more than feelings....

Sing it with me...

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

amazingly enough, I was inspired by that. I was hoping that the same legal eagles might browse over here for their take on this. I bet they don't.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Those same people get upset that our prisons are full of guys that "just had a little weed".

Yep, caught for the 12th time while on probation.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It is political optics...

For example, my town's mayor came out saying they wouldn't support ICE round ups. Of course, they left out in the newspaper that the people ICE is targeting have already been ordered deported and have been evading doing so. However, the liberal media spins it like they are just rounding up random immigrants.

What is ironic is that this same village requires multiple forms of ID to prove residency because we have a problem with out of district students attending our schools. Basically, the Chicago school system sucks so they lie about living in our town to attend our schools. Of course, this is a burden on the people that actually live in the town.

These dimwits can't see the same issue at the federal level with illegal immigration.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There is a difference between lawful and legal. Malum in se vs malum prohibitum.

Resistance to tyranny is obedience to (insert diety or natural law.)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You presume the people who enforce the law have the educational skills to be able to read it, understand it, remember it, and then enforce it. Unfortunately, the quality of our country is only as good as the quality of the people living in it.

new topics

top topics

join