It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turning off push button cars in an emergency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I just heard a 911 call of a car's accelerator stuck which caused the death of 4 people in the car. They tried to put the car in neutral and turn it off but since it was a push button car (ignition & transmission), there was no way to do this while the car was moving. I've thought of this many times and have had the accelerator stuck myself a couple times (floor mat issue in one car) but was able to get it under control when I figured out what was going on.

Another issue is when you are in a car as a "hostage" where people were able to reach over and turn off the ignition/keys in earlier models, that isn't an option in newer cars. Now I know this doesn't happen a lot but I'm sure there are cases where it has been an issue. With the large increase of car jackings where people are often taken hostage while still in the car, the option of turning the car off and stopping the car is greatly reduced with newer cars and the option of putting the car in neutral if the accelerator is stuck is often an impossibility with electronically controlled transmissions.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
My complaint is a bit different. I don't think what is discussed in the OP is an issue. Stopping the car can be done.

I recently had to drive a rental car. In the road ahead of me was a large piece of someone else's car. I turned the wheel to avoid it and the car decided I was inappropriately veering out of my lane. It took control of the wheel from me.

The car tried to involve me in an accident.

I like computers just like everyone else, but cars should return to complete analog function. These new cars are dangerous and the gadgets are nothing but distractions from the road.

👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
My complaint is a bit different. I don't think what is discussed in the OP is an issue. Stopping the car can be done.

I recently had to drive a rental car. In the road ahead of me was a large piece of someone else's car. I turned the wheel to avoid it and the car decided I was inappropriately veering out of my lane. It took control of the wheel from me.

I like computers just like everyone else, but cars should return to complete analog function. These new cars are dangerous and the gadgets are nothing but distractions from the road.

👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

That is totally terrifying.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Do people not know how to use the freaking emergency brake anymore to stop an out of control vehicle? If they couldn't figure that one out, it's all on them, and the gene pool is a little cleaner.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Do people not know how to use the freaking emergency brake anymore to stop an out of control vehicle? If they couldn't figure that one out, it's all on them, and the gene pool is a little cleaner.

Any modern FWD car will gladly drive off with the e-brake fully engaged, and the rear wheels locked up.
If the accelerator is stuck, that ebrake won't do anything for you.

My beef with these computers is the auto-stopping. Twice now I've known people to be driving newer fleet vehicles that up and decide to go from cruising speed to a dead stop as fast as possible.
With ABS and the computer 100% in control, they can stop REALLY fast. Way faster than the line of cars behind them.
Some series of events happen to trigger the vehicle to think it's about to rear end something- so it overrides the driver and comes to a complete stop.
Scary.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The first thing that comes to mind is using the ebrake and also toss the key fob out the window. That would hopefully disable the car but who knows if that truly would if there was a perhaps a glitch in the system. But that would be the first thing I would try.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Any modern FWD car will gladly drive off with the e-brake fully engaged, and the rear wheels locked up.

That's a good point, though can be worked around to bring a car to a stop. Either way, I assumed (possibly wrongly) that this was an older vehicle. Our Maxima is an '08, and my husband wanted to make sure the emergency brake worked well before we signed the papers and did successfully bring it to a stop with the emergency brake on the highway shoulder during the test drive. YMMV?

My beef with these computers is the auto-stopping. Twice now I've known people to be driving newer fleet vehicles that up and decide to go from cruising speed to a dead stop as fast as possible.
With ABS and the computer 100% in control, they can stop REALLY fast. Way faster than the line of cars behind them.
Some series of events happen to trigger the vehicle to think it's about to rear end something- so it overrides the driver and comes to a complete stop.
Scary.

I think we need dedicated lanes for them that are off-limits to other vehicles. They work, but need their own lanes, period. That's the safest route to go.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I live in Maine- up here we've got two lanes (each way) for the bulk of i-95.
The closest thing you'll get to a dedicated emergency stopping lane is the breakdown lane- aka the shoulder.
Non existent in construction zones and over most bridges.
The system might work for that vehicle- but it's a menace to other vehicles on the road. Especially the first time one of these cars decides to come to a complete stop in front of a loaded logging truck.

Same goes for any sort of auto-steering correction. If the computer is overriding the driver in any way, it's dangerous. (I also have beef with drive-by-wire throttle because it makes "rocking" out of a snow bank impossible, but I know I'll never win anyone over on that). I had a mini cooper that used to try to kill me in every snow storm because it would decide there wasn't enough traction when I pulled out into a busy intersection, so instead of letting me spin the wheels and pull through the snow, it would simply stop spinning the wheels and let the car sit in the way of oncoming traffic... which also has no traction to stop well.

Stop putting computers in charge.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Scary.

I was just about to post this...

My car has the auto emergency braking and radar cruise. About three or four times over the past four years, something has triggered the auto braking unnecessarily. It scares the bejesus out of you. You are just cruising along in total control and next thing you know the car is skidding. Something small or a odd rise in road can trigger the sensor.

I like all the nannies but the reality is they aren't a replacement for driver's being in control and paying attention.

I did have one incidence where the autobraking saved my bacon and glad I had it.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   

There is no such thing as an emergency brake, btw.

Not for the last 40 years or so.

It is a parking brake and should not be used for an emergency stop.

Newer parking brakes are now electric and will not engage when the vehicle is in motion.

As for out of control push-button start vehicles, you can push the button to turn it off.

I can on my Renegade anyways.

I can also put it in neutral at 65 (just tried it.)

Failing all of the above, throw it into 1st gear.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I believe you misspelled and misunderstood the term Parking Brake. Parking brakes only engage the rear brakes while the front breaks are responsible for 80% of the stopping power and are only intended to hold a stationary car still. Some high end cars the parking brake is also computer controlled such as the Jaguar.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I have an electronic parking brake in my car. It will not move while that brake is engaged. I believe it is a viable alternative to stop the car.

Lumenari, I worry about your transmission.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

There should be mandatory explanation cards with each rental model because a lot of new cars have this feature and it can be disabled either by a button or through a menu on the car.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Have you ever tried it in a car doing 90 or 120mph+? Especially with the gas stuck on, it can very often not stop a car or at least not fast enough. The E brake is usually only rear which doesn't do a lot of breaking to begin with.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I live in Maine- up here we've got two lanes (each way) for the bulk of i-95.
The closest thing you'll get to a dedicated emergency stopping lane is the breakdown lane- aka the shoulder.
Non existent in construction zones and over most bridges.
The system might work for that vehicle- but it's a menace to other vehicles on the road. Especially the first time one of these cars decides to come to a complete stop in front of a loaded logging truck.

Same goes for any sort of auto-steering correction. If the computer is overriding the driver in any way, it's dangerous. (I also have beef with drive-by-wire throttle because it makes "rocking" out of a snow bank impossible, but I know I'll never win anyone over on that). I had a mini cooper that used to try to kill me in every snow storm because it would decide there wasn't enough traction when I pulled out into a busy intersection, so instead of letting me spin the wheels and pull through the snow, it would simply stop spinning the wheels and let the car sit in the way of oncoming traffic... which also has no traction to stop well.

Stop putting computers in charge.

Traction control in snow can be HORRIBLE and I know exactly what you go through. Luckily I have a button that turns this off and I can get 100% throttle control which is also good in rain, especially at a stop sign on a steep wet hill where it hasn't rained in awhile (lots more oil on the road then).

top topics

join