It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Man Arrested After Shooting Home Invaders

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

So you would be going to jail in NY, and exactly what would happen to your kids then?

The whole point is this man was placed in a no-win situation that should have never existed. He was not the one trying to break the law; he was defending himself against the lawbreakers.

But I will tell you this also, I have cane, frying pans. Big sharp knifes, even an illegal Bowie knife and I would either stop the attacker if die trying, pregnant or not .

Canes, frying pans, and big scary knives don't work against guns. How did he know the intruders weren't armed? How would you know? When the pain in your chest made you look down to see a hole bleeding out where there's not supposed to be one?

Look, I'm old. I'm old enough to have known a few people who died in a home invasion. Every one of them had the same outlook you do. I hope and pray you are never confronted with the reality of that kind of situation, because the end result would likely be catastrophic.

Me? I don't underestimate anyone... and once someone threatens my family, there is no length I will not go to to stop them... legal or not. Quod est necessarium est licitum.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
That’s why I’m leaving New York, liberal laws that protect the criminals. Is that why you left? Or are you spreading New York values to other states? reply to: dawnstar

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

We do not have a gun registry in most Free State.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
He had a win, not breaking the law by not registering his guns.

Well, I certainly wouldn't fire if I couldn't get a clear shot and was worried about shooting the kids instead. Except maybe in the air hoping to scare them off but then like you said, how can you be sure he doesn't have a gun and he probably doesn't care as much about stray bullets flying around. If I thought there was an advantage of him not knowing were I was, I would probably want to keep it.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

No desire to live in that # hole.

Cant defend myself from pieces of #. or I risk being the criminal

man that whole place can get #ed.

someone breaks in your home with intent of doing you harm

they deserve nothing short of death.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Poor homeowner. I guess this just goes to show that in NY you need to hide the bodies and never call the police if you shoot home invaders. Just saying....

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
lol @ frying pan vs gun

thats n00b talk.

you have no idea what youre even saying.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

...and you've no issue with that considering the circumstances involved??

This is why registration is a, to put it mildly, stupid idea.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It needs to go back. They got it wrong.

Who gave SCOTUS the authority to decide what is Constitutional or not anyway? Oh, right, they just assumed that power...

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Either you're talking about me, or that whole sliding off the road is more common than I thought...

Yep, spent all morning waiting for the tow truck--five plus hours--no one injured, no damage to my car, cop hit with insufficient tread...I'd had the tires for less than a week. Glaze ice. No tires on earth would have stopped me...

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: joemoe
It's dumb when you need registration for a Right that was guaranteed to you in the Constitution.

Registering guns were unconstitutional I'm sure it would have been challenged. I think registering guns comes under the "well regulated" part of the 2nd Amendment.

Well regulated as used in the 2A means "well trained". Try again.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Lol. That liberal law was passed somewhere around 1910, a year or two give or take. Even the liberals of the time were more conservative than today's conservatives.
And I left for a number of reasons. Top of the list was that the state govt at the time was corrupt as all heck. But then there was the fact that local govts were cutting their budgets more and more and well, an upstate ny winter can be a pain if you are living close to the lakes. My husband traveled through two counties to get to his job and it got to be too common for him to get part way to work only to have to turn around and come back at a county line because the county let the snow pile up in the road all night and there was 5 or 6 feet snow drift blocking his way. Add to that my mother passing which was my main reason for going back home anyways. And well, it was time for a change.
And. I haven't really found much to gripe about Virginia's govt not even their yearly property tax on cars. Their taxes are less overall than NY was.
You can find a lot about NY to not like that makes gun registration seem like small potatoes.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
Who gave SCOTUS the authority to decide what is Constitutional or not anyway?

That thing called the Constitution.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

Apparently.

Sad that one can not protect oneself, or property, without running the risk of jail, and a felony rap that'll follow you the rest of your life.

Thankfully, in Alabama, the right to self defense in the home has been codified into law.

Come into my home uninvited, you may leave--actually you probably will do so--in a body bag in the back of the coroners wagon.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I have no expectation that the guy wasn't let out of jail within 24 hours and maybe will be given a small fine or have the case dropped if he shows up with proof that he has registered the gun.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That is a pretty awesome law they managed to get passed. It specifically forbids even arresting someone for using deadly force unless there is reason to believe it was illegal. I gotta say, once in a while I am actually proud of our government.

Not often, mind you, but more often that I am of Washington DC.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not expressly. It took Marbury v. Madison to decide that.

So an entity created by the Constitution gets to decide what it means... Bit of a conflict of interest.

I disagree with the assumption and believe that Article 3 should be rewritten to more clearly define the powers of the SCOTUS.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

So. Who should get to decide? The politicians that hold office at the time? Popular opinion?
Both of these groups have, from time to time, thought it was perfectly acceptable to strip rights from various groups of the citizenry. The liberals have, the conservatives have. The judges are less beholding to the political groups and the whims and desires of the population. They stand as a buffer to ensure we all can enjoy our freedoms and liberties.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

If he was "well trained" he would've had the gun registered

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Then shouldn't every person be required to have this liability insurance. The person might use their hands, a stick, a rock to hurt someone.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join