It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WSJ: Extinction in Just 760 Yrs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well aside from the fact that the current world population (all 7 billion of them) can fit in Texas and stand at least 50 feet away from their neighbor.

So is it a land and resource shortage or a sharing and getting along type of problem that needs solved?

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
AOC can name that tune in just 12 years!
www.realclearpolitics.com...

"Millennials and people, you know, Gen Z and all these folks that will come after us are looking up and we’re like: The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change and your biggest issue is how are we gonna pay for it?" Ocasio-Cortez told Coates. "This is the war — this is our World War II."

Dumbasses, all of them.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Well aside from the fact that the current world population (all 7 billion of them) can fit in Texas and stand at least 50 feet away from their neighbor.

...and that's just in little, teeny, tiny, wee Texas. If you were talking about a real landmass like Alaska, those folks could really spread out.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Overpopulation is not a real problem. Search “peak population”.

You’ll learn that China Indy Bangladesh all already have negative birth rates. Only Nigeria & USA are still slightly positive. And will both go negative by 2025.

Peak pop will occur around 2043, and then begin drifting down, if not collapsing. The Millennials, grand children of the baby boomers, turn out to not really be breeders much.

Hawking a great man, but ignorant of the social sciences’ research since 1995. Like when Einstein said we only use 10% of our brains. Feel good crap that nobody would believe, except a celebrity physicist said it

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Why stop at Alaska (1.718 million km²) when you've got Australia (7,692,024 km2).....

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

Peak pop will occur around 2043, and then begin drifting down, if not collapsing.

What's your source for this?

I've seen predictions of over 11bn by 2100 (not saying that wiki is the be-all and end-all on this matter by any means but...) there's no indication there that increased rate will slow down in the next 25 years according to this link. Wiki

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So is it a land and resource shortage or a sharing and getting along type of problem that needs solved?

If anybody is going hungry in this world, it's primarily a political problem (warlords starving out refugees, etc.). There's also a storage/logistics problem that tends to lead to a lot of food wasted from spoilage, but that can be taken care of if you can get rid of the political problems.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diaspar
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Why stop at Alaska (1.718 million km²) when you've got Australia (7,692,024 km2).....

Australia is a country, so it doesn't fill Texans with the same sense of Little Man Syndrome as the massive state of Alaska does.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Bingo.

It isn’t the masses but the few at the top that have the problem. But people get hungry enough that changes, even if you deny the people the weapons of war. Sticks and stones still work pretty well and there is no real shortage on either.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Well your post was borderline calling for genocide, "useless breeders" and all that.

Making you so sick, were your words.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Blue Shift
It isn’t the masses but the few at the top that have the problem. But people get hungry enough that changes, even if you deny the people the weapons of war. Sticks and stones still work pretty well and there is no real shortage on either.

Well, that's where the good ol' USA comes in. We love to offload some of our old equipment on "freedom fighters" for pennies on the dollar (and jack up our trade deficit in the process), and then have it come back and bite us in the ass later. Like with the Taliban. That gives us a total win-win. We make money on the old weapons, then have to make more weapons to fight the same people we sold/gave them to in the first place. And if we happen to get a little oil out of the deal, too, that's the cherry on top.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Diaspar

Hans Rosling talks about why we will never reach 11 Billion: Why the world population will never exceed 11 billion

I'm trying to find the monograph that predicts we will approach 10 in 2043 (the same year that whites are slated to become minority in the USA), but I had a print copy. Ill continue to see if I can find it online....

EDIT TO ADD:

here's Deutsche Bank in 2013 prediction population would peak at 8.7 billion in 2055.

edit on 1-7-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
That estimate seems about right, but it's not about overpopulation. In fact, overpopulation is probably low on the list.

It's not helping. And is gonna get worse (way worse) because people do not acknowledge it as one of the biggest problems we have that we could actually do something about very easily.
edit on 2-7-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   

It is a problem of status quo. And for the moment, unchecked reproduction is part of the status quo. 7 billion people are not just going to amicably decide to get along and share everything. It just isn't gonna happen. Especially overnight. When you have many millions of people living in abject poverty, you are not doing anyone any favors by denying the existence of the fact that there are too many damn people. And that more are definitely not gonna help (unless you plan on having the poorest ones eat each other).

For the moment, you do what you can reasonably do. You can't reasonably force 7 billion people to get along and share. But the people who do see and acknowledge the problem can help a lot by not burying their heads in the sand. Don't reproduce. Just don't do it. And if you already have, encourage other people to refrain every chance you get.

You know? If you already have kids, was it a bad decision? Yes. It was. Don't sugar coat it. This planet is an overpopulated cesspool. But, what's done is done. You make the best of it and move on. But don't deny reality.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Well your post was borderline calling for genocide, "useless breeders" and all that.

Making you so sick, were your words.

You just read it wrong. I assumed I would not have to explain to an intelligent adult that I was not talking about genocide when I did not say anything about genocide and merely pointed out a problem. If your mind automatically jumps to genocide when someone points out that there's a problem with pointless overpopulation, that's on you dude.

EDIT - I guess it also depends on your definition of "genocide". I don't think spermicide and genocide are the same thing. I also don't think abortion is genocide. I also don't think abstaining and masturbating are genocide. Yeah. We can argue about abortion some other day (and we will) but I'm not changing my view on it as necessary and the right thing to do in many cases. Nothing to be ashamed of and I would never be ashamed of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   

your words>

There are millions of people who lead useless, miserable lives filled with suffering while millions of morons are busy making more of tomorrow's unhappy people on purpose.

t as one of the biggest problems we have that we could actually do something about very easily.

You can't reasonably force 7 billion people to get along and share.

You know? If you already have kids, was it a bad decision? Yes. It was.

Who said anything about forcing people to share?
The world produces more food than it needs.
Usually its a matter or directing the food to where a humanitarian crisis calls for.
If the food is squandered or rationed out by some local warlord who wants to see his people starve what can you do about that.

Having kids is usually a biological imperative, and most women and men in healthy relationships would agree.

The 1st worlds birthrate is declining and so is the tax base to sustain social security and health liabilities.
They'll need more imported immigrants to sustain the economy.
You know like they have undocumented Mexicans as gardeners or fruit pickers in the US.
Would 1st world western people work for $3-4 per hr in the sun?

Do you recall the oil crisis of the 70's and then peak oil crisis...The worlds running out of oil....we're doomed.

Who gets to decide who leads a useless life or if they morons.

How are you going to force people to use spermicide?

And you call me unintelligent?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by:TheConstruKctionofLight

And you call me unintelligent?

If you want to fight with reality, do it without me. I don't care whether you agree with me or not. The fact that you don't want to see what I'm saying is exactly why the problem exists. You're not at all unusual. You're just part of the problem so obviously, you're not going to even think about playing a role in trying to solve a problem you're causing.

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

hahaha - I wasted all that time countering your points which you ignore and then ...

You're not at all unusual. You're just part of the problem

is the best you can do?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join