It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a major terror attack on US soil solve "the border crisis"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hear me out.

This is all hypothetical. No party is encouraging a terror attack or inciting others to commit terror. It is a hypothetical question.

Following major terror attacks in the Western World, we usually see emergency lawmaking occur.

In this same vein, let us say, for instance, that a major terror attack occurs in a major US city. Explosions, great number of casualties, hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage, you name it.

The intelligence services then investigate and conclude that militants, weapons, explosives etc were easily smuggled through the US-Mexico border for the sole purpose of carrying out the aforementioned terror attack.

Could that be it then? Would POTUS be able to solve the border crisis in a single fell? Override the constitution (which bars troops from being active on US soil), deploy actual troops and/or shut the border?

Thoughts?

P.S.

ISIS plotted to send terrorists through US-Mexico border

ISIS plotted to smuggle English-speaking terrorists through the Mexican border to carry out a financial attack that would “cripple” the US economy, according to a new report.

Although the above media report is an alleged "financial attack plot", you understand what point my above post is trying to make. A deadly conventional mass terror attack could occur in a major US city with a terror group and/or groups smuggling militants, weapons, explosives etc through the US-Mexico border...
edit on 29-6-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Because what we really need is more emergency lawmaking by scared people. That always works out so well for the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Intelligence and police don't need to waste time investigating such things, if they already know who they're going to blame beforehand.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Intelligence and police don't need to waste time investigating such things, if they already know who they're going to blame beforehand.

This doesn't really answer the question though, does it?

Currently, following the Posse Comitatus Act, POTUS is limited in his ability to "deploy" troops to the border/on US soil.

However, if a major terror attack occurred and irrefutable evidence pointed to the fact that terrorists, weapons, explosives etc came through the US-Mexico border, then something more urgent and overwhelming *could* be done...

Federal law limits Trump’s proposal to send troops to guard border

The Posse Comitatus Act, which passed after the Civil War to keep federal troops from policing the South, limits federal troops’ deployment on U.S. soil and forbids using them to enforce domestic laws.

The President can deploy troops if there’s an insurrection or invasion on U.S. soil. Congress later gave the military the ability to provide equipment and personnel for certain drug enforcement operations. The Coast Guard is exempt from the act’s restrictions

edit on 29-6-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Indigenous patriot act

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The short answer is no. The assumption here would be if a bunch of Americans got killed by some incident that would've been prevented with better border security, maybe the politicians would finally wake up and secure the border.

The problem with that reasoning is this already happens. American citizens have been getting killed by illegals for years. The Democrats have already demonstrated they care more about getting as many illegals in as possible, even if they are hardened criminals, than they do about securing the border. Sanctuary cities release people wanted for MURDER rather than turn them over to ICE. Our lives aren't as important as all those extra votes they're getting from these open borders policies.

A terrorist attack wouldn't change that. If anything they'd use the response from people calling for more border security as further proof that we're isolationist and racist and all the other -ists.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Nope,

every member of ISIS could come across the border

and progressive idiots will convince their empty headed sheep followers

that the only reason conservatives don't want to be beheaded

is because they're racist Islamophobes.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Currently, following the Posse Comitatus Act, POTUS is limited in his ability to "deploy" troops to the border/on US soil.

The Posse Comitatus Act does not apply to non-citizens.

Just sayin...

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Because what we really need is more emergency lawmaking by scared people. That always works out so well for the rest of us.

Says the gun control advocate.....

2nd line

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Very good point.

This opens us up to a whole lotta other questions...

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

2nd line

I own and collect firearms and I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. Don't confuse me not supporting the moron of a President for anything else.

I can't think of better time to arm oneself than when the current Republican criminals are disregarding the law and their supporters are forming militias to attack people like me because I think differently than they do.
edit on 29-6-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Oh: See what you mean, sorry.

My reply was only the first step, so yes it was incomplete as to your questions.

The rest of the idea is: if their goal is to deploy US troops on US soil: then the event will be staged as such, and will implicate the enemy needed, to get public approuval for the deployment.
Then it's just the matter of bureaucracy to get 'er done.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

The Posse Comitatus Act does not apply to non-citizens.

Just sayin...

I am not positive, but aren't there special conditions applicable to the border that in the advent of an attack, real, perceived or contemplated by foreign nationals, that US troops may be given operational status. I can't remember if I read this in statutes that applied to a certain distance from federal borders (100 miles?). Coast guard and custons, DHS, border patrol and the national guard all have selective jurisdiction, but obviously, if they are overwhelmed by the sheer number of illegals, invaders or terrorists, there must be an adequate legal solution.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

2nd line

I own and collect firearms and I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. Don't confuse me not supporting the moron of a President for anything else.

I can't think of better time to arm oneself than when the current Republican criminals are disregarding the law and their supporters are forming militias to attack people like me because I think differently than they do.

You sound paranoid!

To answer the OP's question, if there were some calamity, the media and Democrat congressmen and women would blame it on Trump without ever analyzing the issue. Their hatred is so strong and unbalanced. We're at a point where it isn't always foreigners that hate America and want to damage it, it's some Americans.

And now I hear left fears that Republicans are forming militias to attack them! Times sure have changed. There was a time, not so long ago, that we went to the poles, registered our vote and cheered or grumbled at the result. If we didn't like the outcome,we didn't go into meltdown but waited patiently for the next election.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The national guard and air national guard of for just that reason. The military can support them but can not engage the enemy on our soil.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I think you raise a good point here.

It would need to be ISIS or some other terror group and they would need to launch a BIG attack on a major southern US city. By major I mean like suitcase nuke. Something really devastating.

Then the guilty organization takes credit, says they came in because our borders are easy to cross and there’s “more on the way” and there you go - total border lockdown, militarized forces deployed across the southern US, major public support for ICE and deportations, all dems who have supported illegals are in seriously political trouble as the sounds of “I told you so” ring out and then some new major act that creates and enhanced border security division and more.

Hell, I bet they raise the false flag by claiming Iran was behind it and conspired with Mexico. Many birds with one stone.

Not saying I think this will happen but history tells me it’s 100% doable and could be executed reasonably easily.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Could a major terror attack on US soil solve "the border crisis"?

It would likely turn the US into a police state or an outright dictatorship, based on the current White House occupant.

I say that with all sober sincerity, and have said as much before.

And I hope it doesn't happen or come to that.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   
If anything the Patriot Act needs to be repealed and sensible, positive effects from it brought forth in new legislation.

This crap at the airport makes me feel like I'm in a prison.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Why, did you have something in mind?

2nd.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
Why, did you have something in mind?

2nd.

No, not at all.

Some days I am simply wistful and find myself trying to think of what terrorists will try to do next. From copycat vehicular mass homicide to mass stabbing attacks to things like this.

top topics

join