It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pitching a Movie???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Don't. Write a book instead. I know its strange but I've read so many stories of screen writers who've had their scripts or treatments or even ideas presented to some Hollywood big wig only to have it rejected and then a film that is very close to the one that was presented to Hollywood that it was clearly stolen. So many people have regretted presenting their ideas. If you are able to write something then my advice would be a book of some kind. Who knows maybe Hollywood will come knocking after.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
WOW!! Lots of terrific information!!! Thanks everyone for all the great input!!

A quick comment about writing a book first. I'm not sure this story fits well in words, it's more of a visual thing. I think I can write at least fairly well, and I'm not sure I'd know exactly how to put this into words and still be able to capture the really unique part of the story, the thing which makes it really pop. Here's why...a written story is like someone telling a story, it's like a written version of an audible tale. So, when you read something someone could just as easily be reading the story to you out loud. Some people visualize the words they read as being spoken to them. But what if the most impactful elements of the story were silent? For example, how would someone write a book about a play done in mime? (just an example) It would be nearly impossible to capture the silence of the act itself (which is the whole point) contrasted against the background noise (which wasn't silent). Sure, someone could describe a mime, what a mime does, and describe the setting, but unless they described the mime and the setting over and over again, people would fall back into the story telling / narration mode (which isn't silent)...and it would lose its impact.

Does that even remotely make sense?

BTW...this is by no means a 'silent movie', I just used the mime as the best example I could think of about a story coming across better visually than in print.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Well, you guys have both hit on exactly the spirit of my question/concern!

BTW, I probably should have mentioned in my OP; the genre of the movie is 'Action'.

Thanks for the input!

Since it's action, why not just use one of the many comic book making tools and make it into a comic strip. Write a script first, not a screenplay, just to put all your thoughts down and organize them into a flow.

Then start making the comic book, page by page, translating your vision for how the scene looks and where the camera is observing the action from and so on.

Then when you're happy, mail some copies to yourself and never open those stamped envelopes as proof of origin. Or just file your work with one of the agencies that do the same service.

Make your own comics

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

I was looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

That's kind of what I figured. I kind of hoped there might be a way to at least get the idea off the ground before hiring an attorney. When you say "submissions", does this include ideas as well? Presumably it does, but wanted to be sure.

I see a lot of people recommending agents; don't trust them either without ironclad contracts.
You can get off the ground with a treatment but it's difficult. Our small production co. usually shoots a teaser/trailer of the intended feature or tv series and then take it to a pitch fest with a complete EPK package. It's all one big gamble.
Some recommend writing the novel first, I don't. Film is character driven and I find it easier to just write the treatment, outline and script. The characters you develop almost write the script for you. If you do write the novel first we have a team that can turn it into a properly formatted script for you to use in your marketing plan. Join WGA, lots of great help from that community.

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

Welcome to the biz...and good luck!! The industry is crying for quality content. The digital world has changed everything; people are shooting features on their phone and selling them to amazon. It's all about the story!!

This may help...

www.celtx.com...
edit on 29-6-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Does that even remotely make sense?

No. The issue is this. You're a nobody, an unknown with zero experience. You can't expect to walk into Hollywood with a "treatment," a pitch that is nothing more than an idea backed up by a synopsis. The ONLY people who can get away with that are well-established writers who have a proven track record of success. Of course, Steven Spielberg has moved on to producing rather than writing, but if he walked into a Hollywood producer with a "treatment," he'd be taken seriously and the money people could not wait to get on board.

A "screenplay," on the other hand, is a fully developed movie script that has a very specific style and usually NOT done by the "author" at all. In fact, that is very rare because, as I said above, it takes a very special skill set to do that kind of writing. Movie studios buy rights to books from an author/publisher and immediately turn over the manuscript to an established screenwriter who they know can work within the parameters they want. You are not in that profession.

I reject the notion that a given story can only be suitable for the big screen and unsuitable for a book. Look at the writings of Tom Clancy, for example. They made great action movies, but they were great page-burner books first. The Jack Reacher books are another example: Action packed adventure that turned into good movies, but the books came first. If you cannot paint a word picture and make it exciting, it is unlikely you can make a movie exciting either, and if all you have is a "treatment," you haven't really done anything useful if the whole creative process has to be turned over to others to actually make work.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You're probably right.

I guess I'll just have to think/work harder about how to do it.

ETA - BTW, you are correct; I am a nobody. And yes, I am not even remotely in the profession. I don't expect for one minute to walk into Sony or someone and walk out with a multi-million dollar blockbuster movie deal! I'm just trying to understand how to start.

I do have what I think is a very attractive idea which I think people would really like. It's catchy, not been done before that I'm aware of and I'm certain people be interested in it. I have put together a complete summary, broken most of it down into scenes in an outline form (or at least major theme components). I have the beginning, middle and end (the hardest parts, right?) and they make sense (when so many don't, or make huge leaps of faith to connect the dots). I've defined the main characters, and for the most part all of the other characters. It seems to flow well, and the ending really underscores the whole theme of the story.
edit on 6/29/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thanks!

I will look into those.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Having a brush of contact with Hollywood-types, it's most important to have someone who can recommend/suggest your writing. Something as simple as a synopsis and a meeting can get you started. Write a short story and give it to someone you can trust - is usually all that is needed to get the ball rolling but it can still take years.

Hope you are writing about your life experiences and throw in a few recipes.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Write a book...

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

A narrator as a character might help with that perspective

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join