It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pitching a Movie???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
What's the best (most profitable) way to market a movie idea? (and not have it stolen in the process?)

Write the whole screenplay?

Pitch just the idea to a movie company?

Pitch the idea to a movie producer?

Try to produce the movie yourself and hope people watch it?

The idea doesn't lend itself well to an initial book because it has a special and unique hook which only the movies could bear out.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Honestly these days its a legal minefield, your best bet is to actually write a proper screenplay have it polished and done properly the I would think you would want to go to a lawyer and get some proper copyright, after that you would then probably want to take a look at the theme of your movie and then ways to speak to studios who make those kind of movies. Really though the chances of a big studio every paying any attention are pretty much zero so if it where me I would probably look to independents, see if you can find an independent movie producer who would be interested and then work with him or her, particularly if you've never worked in film. Its a bit of a "boys club" where you might have had to have started out doing something else and moving around a bit before anyone will bother to even look at your script.

Its not easy, av read quite a few "making of" type of books and it takes a lot of work to even start shooting these days let along getting your movie shown in a theatre.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

No idea, but I'm intrigued!
I've heard that to safeguard an idea, you can mail it to yourself (date stamp at the post office) prior to sharing it with others. Of course, court battle against a mega movie company would still be costly...

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well, you guys have both hit on exactly the spirit of my question/concern!

BTW, I probably should have mentioned in my OP; the genre of the movie is 'Action'.

Thanks for the input!

edit on 6/29/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Daily Double at the bottom of the hour!

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Write a treatment first to see if it works, you may also want to join the WGA which will afford you some additional legal protections on your concept.

ETA: Here's a quick guide on how to write a treatment. I successfully used this method on the screenplays I wrote for Deadpool, Avengers Endgame and Gone with the Wind.

edit on 29-6-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I learned from a member here that trailers are shot before the actual movie. The guy who told me that might pop up here, hopefully.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Augustus is correct.
A treatment...or basic synopsis of your story outline is what you first write.
You'll want to include a pitch of your story, as well.

I've written a few.

Also...be aware that some studios may offer you money to option your story for a number of years.

This could show basic interest...but also allows them to sit on it and deny other studios picking it up.

Consider getting an agent, they will shop it for you. Recommended.
edit on 29-6-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Been there, done that. Copyright, don't you write the screenplay without experience in editing, interest and adaptation.

Can't trust producers, companies etc. Know this....we lost "LOST"...$21,000...trying, and producing this movie.

We learned much...my partner spent a year in Mexico trying to get financing from the "cartels" even. They wanted to just use movie as a laundering op.

Easier to make and post videos then make a
motion picture. 5yrs and $21,000 of my share $$ alone......

Just pm me FCD with any specific questions.*
*Show NO ONE your idea completely...only show portions..!!

**Am under contract now with Sony and Universal M.G's...still...
edit on 29-6-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

What do you mean...'without adaptation'?

ETA - Also, what do you copyright if not the screenplay???

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I learned from a member here that trailers are shot before the actual movie. The guy who told me that might pop up here, hopefully.

That would be me...

If you have faith in your project and intellectual property, hire an entertainment lawyer before any submissions.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I've had some dealings in this area. Plagiarism is rampant. Studios and production companies like to deny they have even heard of anyone's work so they can take a run at the same storyline themselves. Your best protections are:

A. Write it out as book if you can, publish or not, with forks, then copyright it.
B. Write a comprehensive screenplay with multiple plot forks, then copyright it.
C. Create a working storyboard, include the forks, then copyright it.
D. Create a detailed synopsis that can be sent out unsolicited to studios and producers.

Not great protection, but it's the best you're going to get in the business. If a studio or producer uses your idea and even alters it, your forks should give you legal standing. They can't say they didn't know because you sent the idea to them. I have spoken with Pando (Peter fonda) and Icon (Mel Gibson) about these problems, but that was 15 years ago. Things might have changed or gotten worse.

ETA: I do have a book and screenplay, no storyboard, but a good multipage synopsis. Unfortunately, my book is about real situations involving corruption in the military, governments, killings, deliberate plane crashes and weapons deals, too many criminals might be harmed in the making of a movie which makes my history commercially non-viable. At least according to CSIS and my FOIA request on myself :-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/29.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Why don't you hear him out in a private meeting? He has money, you have money, IIRC, you even have a big stake in a production studio? Whatever comes of it, please somehow include ATS brand (with permission) in the movie? That would be so cool!

Im not saying you two have millions of dollars (or maybe yall do), but I have read enough from the both of you on here to gather that your both easily in the seven figures net worth level of the pyramid. A movie could multiply that a bit for not just yourselves, but the investors!

Please guys, make a movie.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I was looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

That's kind of what I figured. I kind of hoped there might be a way to at least get the idea off the ground before hiring an attorney. When you say "submissions", does this include ideas as well? Presumably it does, but wanted to be sure.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Great info, thanks!!

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You will also need an agent...no studio will meet with an unknown.

And AugustusMasonicus is correct as always do a treatment first.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yes, that would be you lol. I thought you'd be along.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: mysterioustranger

What do you mean...'without adaptation'?

ETA - Also, what do you copyright if not the screenplay???

Adaptation...a screenplay and book, or idea...are vastly different in the end. It could be nothing like your idea. Changes, additions, deletions and untruths...whatever to make $$$. Its the business...

Copyright any original idea, writing treatment, screenplay before and after altering.

Good luck.*

*Sony and Universal client
Copyrights, Literary and Musical

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

P.S. Copyright the story...then a screenplay...

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
First, write a book. If it takes off, then worry about a screenplay. Writing a book and writing a screenplay are two different skill sets. A good example is "The Martian." Andy Weir was a tech guy who started a blog and began to write chapters on the blog. He got a lot of encouragement from his readers and turned it into an e-book, self-published, for 99 cents. It became so popular that a print publisher stepped in and offered to publish a 'real' book. The movie rights were sold almost immediately after. The movie was a hit and long story short, Andy quit his day job and wrote "Artemis." another bestseller that is headed for the big screen. It's a fairy tale story, but the major point is that he wrote the story before he worried about copyright and the screenplay.

Your work is subject to copyright as you write it. That's called "statutory copyright." Put the phrase "Copyright (C) 2019 by Flyingclaydisk" on the title page and you're there. REGISTERING a copyright is a slightly different issue. All that does is prove that you established copyright when you say you did. Sure, you could mail yourself a copy, but why not do it the official way and register with the Library of Congress? It costs a few bucks and you get this cool certificate. Then you do not need to go through the trouble of proving you really did mail yourself a copy of the book.

The thing is, you can't copyright an idea. Ideas are up for grabs. When someone says "Hollywood stole my idea!" that doesn't hold much water. Where's the beef? So your first task is to write the book. Your second task is to get an agent who will work for you. Then see what happens.

* Just FYI I've written and published 5 books and about 250 magazine articles over the years. I was a columnist for a national magazine for about 20 years.

edit on 6/29/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join