It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India turned Ganges into largest sewer in the world

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

We are going to see two massive places, India and China have a massive water crisis in the very near future.
They have ignored mother nature too long and it will come back tenfold

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

But somehow it's the West's responsiblity to fix through the regulation and taxation of its own citizens, and not those of China or India, the main sources of the problem.

That doesn't make any sense, but that's the Clown World life.

HONK HONK

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Bill Gates is for toilets which do not use water and looks like normal ones. I think he see the potential income from those.
There are too much people in India, country is filled with diseases ( mother nature is fighting back) due all filth there. If conditions go better direction they will produce even more kids and cycle goes on and on...

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

We are going to see two massive places, India and China have a massive water crisis in the very near future.
They have ignored mother nature too long and it will come back tenfold

I can see Gaia creating some kind of plague to thin their populations. All those people and unsanitary conditions is ripe for a super bug or other disease to thrive that decimates the population.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Many years ago, I worked for an Indian guy who refused to set foot in India ever again after moving to the US, because in his words, "It's so damn FILTHY there. The people are FILTHY." He said they just don't care culturally. Even if the infrastructure was there to handle sewage and trash for a billion people flawlessly, the sewage issues and trash issues would persist because they still wouldn't care.

It has nothing to do with caste and everything to do with a country-wide attitude of if it's not within their home, it's not their problem. I.E someone else can clean up their trash pile in the street. Someone else can clean up the deuce they dropped in the market's street. And the person being paid to clean up those messes often has the same mindset, "Not my problem!"
Once the disposable items exit their homes, and bodily waste exits their bodies where ever they happen to squat, they no longer see it as their responsibility, and there just aren't enough people willing to TAKE responsibility for clean-up, even for pay.

He was very emphatic that India wouldn't even get their figurative s# together even if they had a virulent high fatality disease epidemic stemming from trash or bodily waste problems. I had a hell of a time wrapping my mind around how people can be that blasé about conditions that impact them so directly, and still really can't figure it out. I guess bottom line is they deserve whatever they get out of living like that willingly.

Edit: Here's a WaPo article (suck it up) that highlights how few s#s are actually given about seweage treatment even in facilities in India. Shortcuts and no s#s given are killing workers in inexcusable numbers.
Linky-loo

At the same time, little has changed for the workers who do the hazardous and stigmatized job of dealing with human waste. Cleaning sewers and removing blockages is still largely done by hand, despite a 2013 law prohibiting the practice. Safety equipment is mandated by law but hardly ever used. Violators are not convicted.

edit on 6/29/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/29/2019 by Nyiah because: fixed busted link

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diaspar

The caste system is a large contributor to the problem. The Indian PTB and High/Middle classes don't care. They have all the modern facilities they need and they don't want anything interfering in that. Those from the lower castes/Poor don't have a chance to improve their situation (despite what Slumdog Millionaire shows)

Despite its constitutional abolition in 1950, the practice of "untouchability"-the caste system (imposition of social disabilities on persons by reason of birth into a particular caste-) remains very much a part of rural India.

India is like two different countries the up to date westernised cities and
then the backward rural area

They have other problems too. Population increase is out of control, way way above world averages. And they are one of the worlds biggest polluting countries and one of the most corrupt.
I feel for the people of India faced with those problems.

Population control??

The younger Gandhi took it upon himself to sell the initiative by making public speeches targeting youth, where he announced that vaccination would be at the core of India’s National Population policy moving forward. Soon, the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Orissa, Haryana, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh began implementing Gandhi’s sterilization policy. Since they were all located in the northern part of the country, the region came to be known as the “vasectomy belt.” None of them, though, could compete with Gujarat — India’s westernmost state — whose camps set a world record in January 1972, after performing 221,933 vasectomies in two months.

melmagazine.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Isn't it a bit unfair to only look at one country, especially when there are also parts of the Ganges that are quite pristine?

I wanted to bring this up before (open defecation), including some OP material here, but got into trouble with the mods. Forgive me if I shy away from loads of sources, but trust me, they are easy to find.

In Cape Town just recently I read our coastal waters have 400 times the pollution (mainly of sewage, but also chemical and industrial waste) than is safe for water desalinization. A report this week claimed that most of our coastal fish is contaminated with pharmaceuticals (from common anti-inflammatories to antibiotics and ARVs). Well, cheers to all the Chinese people eating all the poached abalone from our waters - you're eating our sewage.

Not that most rivers and lakes in the US and Europe are anything to crow about environmentally.
And this is not waste that people have been living with for thousands of years.
It includes hormones and anti-antibiotics, and all kinds of chemicals that don't break down.
Never even mind the whole scandal of shipping plastics and technological waste to third world countries.
Return to sender, I say.

As for open defecation - I've seen clips on US cities like San Francisco lately that ruined my appetite for days.
It's on their side-walks, and some tourists who've been to various countries say it is actually worse than third world, impoverished countries!
Yeah, it's all on YouTube.

You got some real #-holes there in the US too, but before everyone blames President Trump, it is especially cities run by the Democrats. Unless I'm reading propaganda, but open defecation is now an issue in your country.

And nope they're not just fertilizing the fields, which most traditional open defecation still does in the rural East or Africa (Mr. Hanky's "circle of life").
They're doing it in the city, on your concrete sidewalks.
edit on 29-6-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

They've dumped everything in it from the dawn of time. That's it's an open sewer really isn't news.

I gag every time I see someone drink from it.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The irony - and while the US points fingers at places in other countries, this is what we see on the US.

Yuck.

And that's the least revolting and illustrative clip I could find on the issue.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

It is clearly an entirely different situation by orders of magnitude,

Why all those billions of stolen loot from around the world "from wars on terror/s" and yet its claimed the US is a 1st world country. Look in your own back yard.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
The irony - and while the US points fingers at places in other countries, this is what we see on the US.

Yuck.

San Fran, Portland, Seattle, and LA have something in common.... leftist SJW running the cities. And we all know SJWs are full of sh*t, so the fact the sidewalks are over flowing with it in those cities is completely expected.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The pollution issues of the Ganges isn't that big of a deal. Here in the US we have people driving around in SUVs … SU F'n Vs. You know what that stands for don't you? Sports Utility Vehicle.

These "SUV's" use up tons of fossil based fuels each year. My tree hugging neighbor has also noted that many of these "SUV's" are something called "Escalades" and these "Escalades" are involved in drive by shootings, so not only are we Americans stripping the Oxygen right out of your lungs by using these fossil fuels, but the vehicles that are driving around are more dangerous than a gun sitting along in a room.

You want to sit here and tell ME about issues that are happening in some made up place called "India". Get real, everybody knows that the US put those people on reservations so they don't have rivers to pollute. grow up already.

OK back to reality, I find these stories very funny. The US keeps getting hit as being the worst offender when it comes to global pollution, but these stories really highlight the issues that are affecting the world on a global scale, and see who the real offenders are. I think the only reason anyone cared that the US pulled out of the Paris Accords was that we were paying money to everyone for doing nothing. Climate Change is the biggest money scam out there still, and these people need to be exposed. The reality is yes the climate is changing, but to say that humans are involved and money should be handed over to people that are the worst at doing anything is just stupid. If the average person wants to do something about the changing climate, then go get your house better insulated, stop waiting energy, and buy locally. Instead these people back carbon taxes, and take your money and run politicians. It's just plain dumb.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
One reason that the Brits wanted India was what was in the Ganges. Because of human waste, mainly urine, crystalline potassium nitrate formed in the mud. What was it good for? Gunpowder to shoot Frenchmen, of course.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

You get way too much of your information online. Sad really because you have painted a false picture of the US in your mind.

Cleaning up our waterways and waste went into full swing in the 1960's. Yes, that long ago and our regulations have pretty much cleaned it all up long ago.

Using the story about a few unfortunate homeless folks using the sidewalk is completely dishonest. ALL communities have wastewater treatment and have had for many decades. To compare the waterways here that get cleaner every year, to the mess in India and China is very dishonest. The biggest issue we have with that now are invasive species, not pollution.

Where do you get your information on the US? India is 70 to 80 years behind the curve or more, even though they are technologically advanced. What's your explanation for that? Even off grid locations here have at the very least outhouses or septic systems. Inside communities, your house gets condemned if you don't have adequate facilities.

We also lead the entire world in air pollution reduction and have for a long time. We are not the problem and pretending otherwise does not make it true.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm that video you posted of the US... What are they doing in that video???

Cleaning.. end of story. Do not even compare the US to the Ganges, puuulease.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Woah - I never said all of the US is like that, just mentioned what I heard.
I said "some areas".
And I mentioned my city (Cape Town) and the environmental catastrophe along South African coastal waters too.
I mean that's going to be a worse water catastrophe than filthy parts of India and the US combined.

And where does everyone else get their info - not online?
They're taking selfies on the banks of the Ganges right now?
So it's OK to generalize on one country (India), but God forbid we mention filthy areas of the US?

What happened to global problems, local solutions?
Or perhaps local problems, global solutions?

Either way let's not pretend to be the "holy cow"!

Well good luck to India.
Germany is helping - it took them over 30 years to clean up the Rhine, and the Ganges is twice as long.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yeah the most sanitized clip on open defecation dilemmas in the US I could find.

And quite honestly, the more graphic stuff I don't want to see again.

And yeah India is trying to clean it up too (see the BBC clip above) - with much more limited resources.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman

Yuck.

Hey check it out, someone's actually CLEANING the human waste from the area, rather than walking away and leaving it to pile up like in India.

Big difference between US and sanitation, and India and it's joke of sanitation. We do not do this or th is to anywhere close to approaching this extent even in the most rundown, poorest stretches of the US.

Disclaimer on the links: Pretty sure the first site lifted the pics from the original blog I saw them on years ago, and as for the second, never heard it it, but have seen many of the photos before elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

It goes back to their caste system. Only the lowest caste traditionally did tasks like touch sewage and dead bodies because it made you spiritually unclean, but as the saying goes, a certain substance rolls downhill, and if you are the lowest of the low ... then it ends up being your task and lot in life. So to be seen doing a task that still carries the stigma of the untouchable caste is something no one wants today.

The problem with public defecation is that many people actually would like a simply pit latrine at least where modern sewers have not yet been built, but they cannot afford to build a large pit. See, pit latrines must be emptied, and that means someone must be in contact with the stuff in the pit to take it out. So families want to build massive pit latrines instead of dealing with having to muck them out.

So for many, it's easier and cheaper to simply poop in public.
edit on 29-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Actually an entire TED talk in the OP is about India finding alternatives to open defecation, even where it serves a traditional purpose of fertilization.
They do want to clean it up a lot more.

But let's compare rivers to rivers, or coasts to coasts and waters to waters.
In a huge field, open defecation itself is not necessarily a problem.
In fact, in parts of North Korea they probably wished they had the extra dung.

Are all your coasts and rivers clean, and no raw sewage, and industrial and chemical waste goes into them?

By the sewage pipe in the harbor - I bet ya no surfing USA there.

You don't think it ends up in that harbor, with extra chemicals to boot?

Yeah they're spraying it off the concrete in San Francisco, and then where does it all go?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join