It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I was running for president. . . . .

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If I were running for president I'd draw up this big chart with three overlapping circles.

One would contain all of the programs that I want to bring in.

One would contain all of the programs that the country could afford to bring in.

One would contain all of the programs that I could reasonable get through both houses.

In the middle would be all of the things that meet all three requirements.

That way voters could tell what I could reasonable be exected to do, so they knew not to expect to much.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Whilst obviously theoretical, how would you ensure that standards were nationally equal when returning control to individual states?

You don't want to end up with a scenario where the top grades in one state are equal to say a "c" grade in other states.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

If we dissolved the department of education, states would have to scramble to fill the void, I'm sure many wouldn't rise to the occasion.

I have a feeling this would create a self serving problem. Kids don't get proper educations, which leads to them not getting good jobs, and developing mental health problems like depression and the sorts.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

How would you tackle the stigma of mental health so that people would actually go for help?

You would have to raise taxes to pay for those new programs, that is why the presidential candidates that are putting forth expensive new programs are saying the same thing...tax the ultra-rich...make them pay their fair share.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

If we dissolved the department of education, states would have to scramble to fill the void, I'm sure many wouldn't rise to the occasion.

I have a feeling this would create a self serving problem. Kids don't get proper educations, which leads to them not getting good jobs, and developing mental health problems like depression and the sorts.

It's not the job of government to educate the kids.
edit on 28-6-2019 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Any increased tax on the rich would ultimately fall on the poor and middle class.

We saw this when tariffs were raised and the politicians all screamed and moaned about how those penalties would be passed along to us.

Taxes are no different.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

As long as you all, are all cool with most jobs paying so little that both parents need to work full time plus jobs just to make a living, it's certainly not the parents job to raise the kids.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

It's not the job of government to the kids.

In an ideal world, I might agree with you.

I think my point was more that this would make the problem we're trying to solve worse. We don't really spend a horrible amount on education, and ensuring that kids have access to a base level of education I think is one of the most important things for investing in our citizens.

I personally don't mind paying taxes if it goes towards educating the youth. I think of it as an insurance policy against increased rates of people entering the social programs.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

We have billions going into it now, and look at where we are.

It's not about money.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   

We have billions going into it now, and look at where we are.

It's not about money.

We spend that money in a month on our failed wars everyone stays silent about.

I just don't understand the willingness of people to take from our base level institutions that actually return some of the money to tax payers.

This is honestly why I don't want to have kids, I have no faith in the direction of this country because both parties are willing to tear it apart. There are two things I can feel good about with my taxes, and that's schools and roads. I know some states don't have the best of those two things, but here in Virginia we're truly blessed.

I'm all for demanding we get more from less spending, things could certainly be more efficient. But school already isn't free, we pay taxes for it. Why scrap something just so millions will have to resort to paying for private schools that flirt with college prices.

And this is one of the few things I don't feel like I'm giving a handout. If it gives a kid a shot to break the cycle of poverty they live in, that's a gamble I'm willing to take.

Do we want tax payers or tax burdens? Take away education and you get the latter.

edit on 28-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I don't feel good about roads, half the money is spent fixing things that weren't broken and disrupting traffic while ignoring things that are broken and disrupting traffic...
edit on 6/28/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

I don't feel good about roads, half the money is spent fixing things that weren't broken and ignoring things that are.

I've lived most of my life in Texas and Virginia. The roads in both are near immaculate. But both of those states are also very well managed.

What state do you live in out of curiosity? I've lived up north and visit frequently, it's my understanding the weather makes it pretty hard to maintain pristine roads.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Ohio, and it's supposedly high on the maintained roads statistics. Which I believe, because we waste money fixing nothing. I drive by the same area of the highway everyday, have done so for four years now, and they've been working on this same section with not even a bump, just switching the lines back and forth and putting cones up everywhere. I've yet to see anything there truly being accomplished worth mentioning.

If it's not broke, don't waste our tax money fixing it. I don't need pristine roads, just functional ones. They're constantly messing with non broken roads is making it bumpier and more inconvenient than just leaving them until they are actually a problem. I swear it's like they just want to pay people to move cones around and play with construction equipment.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

a reply to: InTheLight

Any increased tax on the rich would ultimately fall on the poor and middle class.

We saw this when tariffs were raised and the politicians all screamed and moaned about how those penalties would be passed along to us.

Taxes are no different.

I don't think that would be the case with the ultra-rich, would you investigate if they are paying any taxes at all?

Also, would you continue to let some corporations not pay tax at all?

www.huffingtonpost.ca...

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

If I was running for president..........i would just keep running and hope "they" never catch me.

Might explain a quite a bit i suppose, i mean if there were stairs involved, no wonder Trump got lumbered with the position.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I didn't even read your racist diatribe.. You spoke it in English.

¡¡no es suficiente!!

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

So run then.

*sigh*

Too old, too poor, too fat, too ugly.

Too bad.

Come on, you can do morning runs with CNN following you, with Rocky theme music playing, and say "I'm the president who takes care of my body, just like I'll take care of you, America!" or something..

The rest of your reasons are why Hillary didn't win, though...

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I would propose a National Mental Health Program. I would instruct states to set up mental health facilities. This would address the rising opioid drug use, the dangers of potential gun crimes, the homeless. I would, under my administration, give student loan amnesty to anyone who would work at the mental health facilities.

Yea, you kinda lost me there. Why instruct and then have to fund the states to set up mental health facilities? Why not just set up Federal Mental Health Facilities? You could do it first by "Region" and then, by State as needed, i.e., set up a Federal Mental Health facility in a really populous state like New York.

The student loan amnesty idea is great......but also incorporate a free housing voucher for use with Section 8 and you've not only created a warehouse operation for the drug user's and the nuts, you've created a Jobs program for those of diminished I.Q. capacity and/or low educational attainment.

If you like the idea of Privatization, your Mental Health Administration could contract with private companies to set up Mental health facilities in places like Mexico which could be run by the Cartels. Your Administration pays the Cartels who in turn provide free drugs so the inmates can "drug" themselves to death.

Its a great start!

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It sounds like a winning platform to me. I know a kickback will be expected but If possible, could I have the cheeze franchise vendor at the WH so we can continue the "businessman" ambiance that has been established.

We will spotlight a nice sharp yellow cheddar. I think I can deliver Wisconsin for your campaign.
edit on 28-6-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I would propose a National Mental Health Program.

I really don't mean any offense, but...

Are you daft?!?!

First - the way you have worded this... sorry, a worse idea I may have heard, but not very recently. The very last person I want in charge of anything to do with defining what constitutes being 'healthy' mentally is some beaurorat in the federal government.

Second - there is no power/authority delegated to the government of the United States to be in the business of mental health, or any other health care.

Of course, the same is true for the Depts of Education, Welfare, Energy, and basically 90% of the Departments of the federal government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join