It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOC The gift that just keeps giving . Busted staging viral photo op.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I read it, what part are you claiming matters? You do realize 'refugee' and 'immigrant' are two separate terms right?

Not all immigrants are refugees or asylumees. But all refugees and asylumees are immigrants.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: LordAhriman
She's not trying to stage or hide anything. Fake news. She posted videos of this protest on her Twitter page. She was there with a group to protest in front of the guards of the facility. Videos show what was behind the fence, and the open gate. But BROWN WOMAN BAD!

She's brown? Looks like any number of dumb white girls I grew up with. Talks like em too.

She's brown like George Zimmerman was white. It's convenient to the narrative so they can continue to make believe it's all about the racism and not any other possible reason anyone could object.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

No one is an "asylumee". It's not a word.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In order to claim asylum, you have to declare at a port of entry. Sneaking in does not qualify.

Wrong!

To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status.
You must apply for asylum within one year of the date of their last arrival in the United States

www.uscis.gov...

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No one is an "asylumee". It's not a word.

What do you call a person who has been awarded asylum status?

For reference: A gay Iranian asylumee documents his plight after returning to U.S. sdgln.com...

Another reference:

-Research Assistant at the Clinic for Asylumee, Refugee, and Emigrant Services at the Charles Widger School of Law
lawschoolnumbers.com...
edit on 28-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

a reply to: LordAhriman

She looks more white to me, my wife is way more brown than she is. She demanded a no vote on aid to the asylum seekers, she is bad because she is bad.

She's Puerto Rican. That's common knowledge. She's being called taco barbie on another thread here right now.

What does that have to do with she is more white than brown. My wife is quite a bit darker than her. But hey my opinion must be due to her color.

In mid summer I'm darker than her as well. Doesn't change the fact that she's Hispanic. Hispanics are considered brown.

Now, what about the fact that this OP is a lie?

Not true. Many hispanics identify as white. Fact.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

I read it, what part are you claiming matters? You do realize 'refugee' and 'immigrant' are two separate terms right?

Not all immigrants are refugees or asylumees. But all refugees and asylumees are immigrants.

False. By law a refugee and an immigrant have different definitions.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

I don't know, some old white guy? It was in the 1960s.

So that would have either been under JFK's "Alliance for Progress" initiative or LBJ's 1965 "Immigration and Nationality Act" programs. It demonstrates my above point entirely, your father was granted asylum because Colombia was in the middle of a war between their democratically elected government and Marxist rebels trying to install a communist government there, Colombians were also granted asylum at that time thanks to a seated president's directive made to fit that president's own priorities. JFK was pumping mad money into Latin America to fight against Communist guerrilla rebels in most of South America, funded and armed by Khrushchev's goal of unseating the US from western hemisphere supremacy by turning Latin America towards communism.

"Drug cartels" had nothing, whatsoever to do with people fleeing Colombia in the 60s. Google "FARC" they trafficked in drugs (including, years later, the sale of coca to the CIA direct from the Colombian government, which was used for a handful of nefarious "get 'em hooked" programs within the urban hells of the USA... but that's for a different topic) The "cartels" were the US backed elected government and the communist backed FARC and the only purpose of the drug trafficking was keeping the US and Eastern Europe supplied in white powdery substances both the US and USSR governments didn't wish to see eliminated.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The Refugee Act isn't about normal immigration. You might want to look at the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.

Immigrants are people who have migrated into a country, and have emigrated out of another. Refugees and asylumees are immigrants too. Of course there are legal definitions for each, refugees, asylumees, immigrants, and visitors with visas.

This is a dumb thing to argue about.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Funny how the first thing I get when I type that into a search window is "Did You Mean asylum?"

And how your example is the very first result, and most of the rest make use of asylum seeker instead of asylumee in their text without actually going to the result link.

And Merriam-Webster point blanks says the word you entered isn't in the dictionary which more or less means it isn't a word.

Of course, when I was making an character avatar for an online game, I wanted the name Doppler Effect, and I did a hasty Google search using a misspelling Doplar Effect and pulled results for it a around 10 years ago, so don't feel bad.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Perhaps that is true. He was pretty young when they arrived here, and his memory was of the bombings, and how that was the reason they had to give up their home, in his mind,

They had refugee status, not protected status, like the Hattians, for whatever that's worth.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Another dumb thing to argue about.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Perhaps that is true. He was pretty young when they arrived here, and his memory was of the bombings, and how that was the reason they had to give up their home, in his mind,

Definitely FARC.

They had refugee status, not protected status, like the Hattians, for whatever that's worth.

Protected status didn't come about until the 1990 Immigration Act created it.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

When we are talking law words matter.

There is nothing you have cited that proves your point. Nothing there says asylum seekers must be let into the US while their case is being heard.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I'm not confused about asylum seekers and refugee status, compared to those who immigrate here, but seem to be.

Yes, there is. The law says that asylum seekers must be physically in the United States and that they can't be expelled or "refouled" to a place where they might be persecuted again. They're being threatened, in Mexico.

The violence is bad enough that the U.S. State Department has issued “do not travel” advisories for five Mexican states—Colima, Guerrero, Michoacan, Sinaloa, and Tamaulipas, whose northern boundary runs along the U.S. border from Brownsville to Laredo, Texas. These are the same travel advisories in place for countries like Libya, Syria, and North Korea. For much of the rest of Mexico, including nearly the entire U.S.-Mexico border, the State Department advises Americans to “reconsider travel.”

thefederalist.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

That's the issue here, thought, the asylum seekers would have to demonstrate that they are personally or as a group directly persecuted in Mexico. They can't because they aren't. They *could* qualify for temporary protected status, but that would only impact those already inside the USA and would still leave anyone arriving after it was granted on the outside trying to get in... not to mention, such a status is at the discretion and decision of the Homeland Security Secretary, who's not likely to grant it for this. That leaves literally only one mechanism for them to be granted asylum and that's via a presidential EO... I understand Trump's refusal to sign such an EO pisses a lot of folks off, but simple fact, the same folks were almost certainly pissed off at him over multiple other issues and he's 100% within his duties and rights to refuse to consider such an EO and continue ordering the enforcement of standing law.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Yes, there is. The law says that asylum seekers must be physically in the United States

You keep saying that, but have yet to produce the law stating such.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I cited you the exact law.

No Contracting State shall expel or return ("refouler") a refugee in any manner whatsoever to the frontiers of territories where his life or freedom would be threatened on account of his race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.

scholarship.law.berkeley.edu...

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   

They can't because they aren't.

They are. They're being targeted and preyed upon by gangs and cartels, kidnapped, raped, robbed and murdered in border towns. That's why they have organized the caravans, to travel in numbers large enough to protect each other from human predators.

The Migrant Crisis Benefits The Cartels
Into this maelstrom have come a relentless stream of refugees and migrants from Central America, driven by worsening gang violence and poverty in the “Northern Triangle” of Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. Most of those crossing Mexico’s southern border are headed for safety and better prospects in the United States, which puts them at the mercy of Mexican cartels that have developed diverse income streams, from child organ trafficking to migrant smuggling.
…….
But until we get real about the almost unimaginable levels of violence and corruption in Mexico and Central America, our immigration crisis will fester, and eventually the chaos south of the border will spill over onto our side—no matter how high Trump builds his wall.
thefederalist.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Which has nothing to do with anything. I see it saying nothing about they must be in the US. In fact it states they CAN be housed outside the US. Prove "where his life or freedom would be threatened on account of his race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion" where they are. Good luck.
edit on 28-6-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join